Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Tooth ankylosed

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have been seeing my orthodontist for a supposedly rare problem that he has been working on for about 8-9 years now. I currently have braces on the top teeth, and I''ve had 5 procedures done so far on this problem by an oral surgeon. The reason I am so concerned about this issue is because I''m 17 years old, and I graduate next year - my smile is a disaster and I won''t be able to smile open-mouthed for my senior pictures because I''m so self-conscious. I can''t post a photo of my teeth online at the moment because I just had my 5th procedure done today.

Because my problem is sort of complicated, I''ll include a diagram I found on google to make this a little easier: (this diagram is not mine, for the record)
http://www.adandental.com.au/i/permanent%2 0teeth%20eruption%20chart.jpg

I started with retainers on my top teeth when I was little, just to straighten them. After most of my permanent teeth grew in, my orthodontist noticed that two teeth, the right lateral incisor and the right cuspid, were still baby teeth. He quickly popped those out, and upon taking an x-ray, noticed an extra tooth in my gum that was preventing the adult teeth from coming in - he called it a mesioden. My first procedure was to remove this mesioden.

When he noticed that over a period of time, neither tooth was erupting, he decided to have the oral surgeon cut open the gum, glue a bracket onto the cuspid, and then stitch it closed, so that the bracket can be attached to the braces with a chain and the other teeth can pull it down. This was successful and my cuspid is normally erupted.

Next he had a third procedure done, which was obviously to do the same to the incisor. However, after two YEARS of waiting for the incisor to come down, and after tightening the chain every 6 weeks and waiting patiently, it hasn''t shown through the gum. He HAS noticed movement in the tooth over the two years via constant x-raying, and he has successfully made room for it and straightened it when another tooth was blocking it because it was angled. After all that work, the tooth has moved as far as my gumline, meaning through an x-ray, the tooth is practically ready to emerge. My orthodontist told me that the reason it wasn''t moving any farther than that was because during procedure 3, the bracket was placed too low on the tooth, and so the wire for the braces is practically straight and cannot possibly move it any farther. His solution was to cut a "window" into the gum, move the bracket much higher, and then pull this tooth home.

The huge problem? Instead of my tooth emerging and moving down, the pressure from the wire has caused the surrounding teeth to be pulled back up into the gum, and almost jutting outwards, like a reverse effect. My orthodontist says that this is typical and that the tooth is simply being difficult; that with a more strategically placed bracket and a few more months of tugging and tightening, my tooth will cooperate. My oral surgeon, however, disagrees, and believes the tooth is ankylosed. He thinks I should have the tooth removed and just have an implant.

I''m so sick and tired of surgery after surgery after surgery, and I like the idea of trying everything before just resorting to the obvious, an extraction, which seems like the easy way out for me. I guess my first question would be - is my tooth even ankylosed? Reading up on it online, I found that ankylosis is much more common in baby teeth, and is also found more frequently in the bottom teeth.

If my tooth is ankylosed, what are all of my options?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 11th, 2010
Ankylose Permanent Front Tooth
My son is 13 and has had a similar problem. His front tooth came out when he was in 2nd grade. His permanent tooth began coming in and then just stopped. His dentist cut his gum twice to new evail. We went to an oral surgeon who then surgically pulled his tooth down. The orthodontist put braces on the top row of teeth to help secure his front tooth through the healing process. The tooth became ankylos again, and because of all of the teeth wired to each other, began pulling all of his teeth back up!!! Bottom line his ortho. will be pulling his fron tooth and placing a fake tooth in a bracket until he is done growing. They will then finally implant a tooth when he is done growing!!! Any other options?
|

replied January 20th, 2012
Last resort for possibly ankylosed tooth
My 17 year old son is in the same situation, #6 (upper right cuspid) won't come down, chain pulled the rest of this teeth up (they've since moved back into place after chain removed). No scans can tell deterministically if the tooth is ankylosed or not, but as a last resort the oral surgeon will perform a lesser known procedure to drill tiny holes or cracks in the bone around the tooth, then use an anchor screw in the bottom gum to see if it will finally come down. If ankylosed, it won't, and tooth will have to come out. But it's worth a shot, even if at $1300 (HMO's don't pay for good oral surgeons).
|

replied October 19th, 2012
Just a quick update. The procedure really worked! It's kind of like microfracture surgery around the base of the tooth, then a mount attached to the tooth with a tight elastic band connected to a screw put in the lower jaw to pull it down. After a few months the tooth finally came down, and the orthodontist was able to continue with the braces to straighten his teeth. Someday my son will realize it was the best $1300 his father ever spent, far better than all the baseball gear, lessons, and travel teams costs. I guess you just don't get state-of-the-art procedures from your run-of-the-mill HMO oral surgeons. For any of you out there in a similar situation, don't give up on that stuck tooth until you find someone to try this procedure!
|

Uggh anky whatever
I am 23, and just got an ankylosed tooth removed.. A stuck adult k9..It feels funny.. But I am happy to finally be making progress toward fixing my mouth.. I've had braces on from the time I was 9 to the time i was 14.. They tried pulling my tooth down with a chain for two years before I turned 14.. and for me there was nothing further they could do unless I got the tooth surgically removed and they fix my teeth and made them straight and together and then I get an implant. at that moment they had said there was nothing else they could do so I told them to take my braces off when I was 14 and I haven't had anything done to my teeth since then um I just decided to get all the stuff done while I have insurance By the way I have hmo and it only cost 216 recently.. I have no cavities.. And my parents spent about 5 k on my mouth back then.. Ridiculous orthodontists.. Now ive gound a place.where theyre all in the same small building.. So if I get any he said she said I will gather them in one room and ask them who to sue.. By the way.. My baby k9 looked like my adult one before they pulled it.. It took two hours to get it out.. My gut said no.. My parents said yes.. ive been upset for 9years.. Fix your kids teeth.. In a criticizing judgemental world its nice to have a nice smile. Im cute and I know, but I have learned to speak differently just so I dont have to open my mouth with these spaces and this missing tooth
|

I am 23, and just got an ankylosed tooth removed.. A stuck adult k9..It feels funny.. But I am happy to finally be making progress toward fixing my mouth.. I've had braces on from the time I was 9 to the time i was 14.. They tried pulling my tooth down with a chain for two years before I turned 14.. and for me there was nothing further they could do unless I got the tooth surgically removed and they fix my teeth and made them straight and together and then I get an implant. at that moment they had said there was nothing else they could do so I told them to take my braces off when I was 14 and I haven't had anything done to my teeth since then um I just decided to get all the stuff done while I have insurance By the way I have hmo and it only cost 216 recently.. I have no cavities.. And my parents spent about 5 k on my mouth back then.. Ridiculous orthodontists.. Now ive gound a place.where theyre all in the same small building.. So if I get any he said she said I will gather them in one room and ask them who to sue.. By the way.. My baby k9 looked like my adult one.. And it took two hours for then to pull out.. I wouldve kept my baby tooth for a long time, I changed the way I talk just to hide my teeth.. Its a horrible feeling.. Imagine one of your front te
|