Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Too Young to Have Schizophrenia?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I am thirteen, an older sister amongst four of my family, and I have been wondering for a while now if I might have some sort of Schizophrenia. I’m on no medication, drugs or alcohol apart from iron deficiency tablets… if that counts?
Ever since I was little, my dad, who now has PTSD, has been in the army and I have been constantly moving from town to town, thus distancing myself from people, apart from a few who rightfully earned my trust, in order not to get lonely. But I’m always feeling empty, and I don’t eat just to feel the normal discomfort.
I am never alone, though. The shadows are always watching me. I see them from the corner of my eye and they seem restless and waiting to do something to me or the people I care about, or even hurt them.
But there is good, too. Whenever I am sad or angry, I shut down and disappear into my thoughts, my imagination. There, anything can happen. I can have people who love me, a sun that is always shining and a beach that is always calm. I can just sit there and dream.
But this has become a problem for the people around me. At school, I am never listening and my studies have become increasingly difficult. I don’t want to make anyone else’s life hard by being a nuisance, but I do it instinctually.
At home, it’s even worse. Because my parents are continually stressed over money and dad’s therapy “appointments”, I am always trying to help. But they never seem grateful, and I’m sick of it.
There has been many a time I have been tempted to run away, and never have to worry about anything anymore… but that’s impossible, because we all have our responsibilities, don’t we?
My parents have been continuously asking me how they can help and have been sending me to one of dad’s psychiatrist’s, but I don’t know how. I’m… confused, and I just want to see what you think. Please?
Is it possible? Should I tell someone?
Ash.
rainbow 4you rainbow gosign
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ThatGirl161
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Definitely speak up. I just opened up to my mom about my symptoms a few days ago and she is scheduling an appointment for me as we speak. I've had symptoms since I was 10 or 11, but I always brushed them off as me having an overly creative imagination. And it sucks because I could've been helped a long time ago, but I didn't say anything. I've let it get way too out of hand now and my symptoms have gotten much, much worse.

I would speak up, before it gets bad.
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2012
Can I ask you something, since you understand it more than I do? Can you remember your childhood? I can't. Is it a symptom to have bad memory? I don't know if it's because I've never had a permenent home, but all my friends seem to. Wierd?
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Yes I remember lots of my childhood. If I'm not mistaken, memory loss can be a symptom of schizophrenia. But you could also be repressing something. Either way, you should see a therapist about it.

Feel free to see my post called "Scared To Death" in this forum. See if any of your symptoms match up!
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
I care not to remember my child hood, although I do remember different parts at different times.

It was all a gigantic lie, and the child like psyche and perception is extremely unaware, not to mention that most kids a complete sh#$ts and I was one of them.

I remember the thousands of times my family told me they loved me, but it was untrue.
|