Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

too much masturbation can cause period problems?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I'm 14 year old teenage girl and I masturbate a lot, like 4 or 5 days a week or months with more than one orgasms. I had my period 3 weeks ago and today I noticed some blood discharge. Should I cut down on masturbating? can masturbating cause period problems?? please tell me what to and not to do. Smile thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Your period is not caused by masturbatioon or orgasms. When you get close to your period, an orgasm can make it start a bit earlier. During your period, it can make a lot of menstrual debris come out at once and make the rest of your flow lighter.Just after your period is done, it can make your period restart for a bit when the left over menstrual debris is forced out. All of this is caused by the pleasurable contractions through your uterus wall due to your orgasm.

Do you insert anything snide your vagina when you masturbate? If so, you need to make sure it is clean and smooth so that it does not injure or cut you. Inserting something can also damage your hymen and make it bleed. Most women only need to rub the clitoris to orgasm. This should be safe and not cause pain or bleeding.

At 14 your periods and cycles can still be irregular and changing. Our bodies are not machines that functions exactly the same every day, week and onto.

While masturbation and orgasms are fun, you can masturbate too much. If your thoughts ad time are consumed by masturbation or thoughts about masturbation, or you give up doing other things so that you can masturbate, it is unhealthy. There are no hard and fast numbers that are bad. One or two orgasms per day should still be fine.

On the other side, masturbation teach you about your body and sexuality, it gives you an outlet for your sexual urges and it is pretty healthy emotionally and physically. It will relax you and make your mood better. At 14, it is also much more desirable than intercourse.

Take care!
|

replied December 29th, 2012
i have a problem i masturbate a lot well not a lot but this week about everyday and then on wednesday i dididnt but yesterday i did in the shower i took so deodrant thing and used it on myself i felt really good but now i have a bit trouble i am constipated now i know that those two things have nothing to do with eachother but i can say that when i dont do it i dont get constipated but when i do masturbate i do get constipated its a problem . As i was saying about the shower after i did it my stomach hurt but let me get this straight i do not put anything inside there i am a virgin and as i was saying my stomach feels full i sleep alot i feel sick and i am constipted i know this is stupid but could i be pregnant even if i didint use anything inside me ? Maybe there was sperm on the bathtub before when someone was using it and when i got the orgasm maybe some got inside ? Quick answers please ?
|

Community Volunteer
Masturbation only becomes a problem when you start to change what you do to masturbate. For example, if you decide to stay home to masturbate, and not go out with your friends. Or if you do it in some dangerous way or place.

For the rest, masturbation is a normal part of life. You had the ability to masturbate and orgasm before you were born, and you will have that ability right to the end. Masturbation is healthy for you. It teaches you about your body and sexual response. It relaxes you and makes you a happier person, and the chemicals released in your brain and blood during orgasm is good for you.

Ifyou think you masturbate too much, slowly start to do it a bit less. Get more active, spend more time with your family and friends, get a hobby. Spend less time alone.

Your desire to masturbate may also come and go throughout your life. Some years less than other years, some months more than other months, some weeks more than other weeks. It has a lot to do with your menstrual cycle. Most women will be very horny around the ovulation week. Some women are very horny around menstruation.

Can the constipation be from being less active and your diet over these times? At the end of the year, we all get a bit lazy, and eat a lot of stuff that are not always good for us. There is no real connection between sexual activity and constipation. Keep your diet healthy and stay active.

Some of us are also more constipated at certain stages of our menstrual cycles. Can the hornyness, constipation and sore stommach just be because your period is getting close?

Using smooth, clean and unbreakable things are perfectly fine. Make sure it is smooth, wash and rinse it well, and make sure it cannot crack or splinter while you are using it.

It is impossible for you to become pregnant in this way. Even if there were semen in the bath. You need a signifficantly amount of spern deep inside your vagina to get pregnant. And even then the chances are bigger that you will not get pregnant.

Take care!
|

Thank you so much for the amazing reply i was so worried i am scared and worried how my mum would react if i asked her about these types of things because in my family everyone keeps their buisness to themselves but thank God i found this website and you . I am planning to start dance lessons soon maybe hopefully that will keep me more fit i am a lazy child and spend a lot of time at my laptop or making videos for youtube but this will hopefully keep me fit and healthy as for food i do not have any diets could you suggest me a diet that i can go on to loose some weight and keep fit and healthy i am very pale i think this is also because of too much masturbation before when i was 10 and i didint masturbate i had a very nice carnation but now since i started masturbating i have gone very pale is masturbation the problem here ? I have been taking vitamins centrum advance and i dont know if this will make a change and bring some vitamins to my body ? Thank you again Smile
|

Community Volunteer
Speak to your mom about your diet. Small changes can do wonders. More fresh fruit, more vegetables, more fiber, less fat, soda and sugars. That together with exercise will normally be enough to make you lose weight, be healthier and feel better.

Masturbation is something we do in private. That does not mean it is wrong, or you have to be ashamed of it. It is also not easy to discuss these personal things with your mom, but if you need to discuss something with her, please do so. I am sure she wants just the best for you and will rather see a happy but embarrassed you, rather than an unhappy and unhealthy you.

You may find out that even your mother masturbate. Researchers found that more married women masturbate than non married women. It is as normal as eating or sleeping.

Masturbation does not cause any changes in you. And definitely not your color. If that was the case, most women will walk around constipated and pale. It also does not change the way you look down there.

How long have you been taking Centrum? Centrum can make you constipated and give you cramps. Taking a supplement is not bad. How old are you? You need to take an age appropriate supplement. Our needs differ at different ages.
|

I have been taking centrum advance for about a week now 1 tableta day i am 13 and 8 months old on the packet it says suitable for 12 and over
Should i buy something else i am from the uk any special brands ?
|

replied December 30th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Some adult women will get stomach aches from multi-vitamins. I get it sometimes from Centrum as well. It definitely sounds like that can be the cause for your pains as well. it is just very uncomfortable.

Try a multi-vitamin for teen girls.
|

replied December 31st, 2012
I am still constipated even though i didint take any of those tablets for around 2-3 days my stomach is hard to touch i feel like something is flowing around inside and when i touch it this might seem weird but i can feel my poo inside like the part of the intestine is this normal ? My last period was on the 9th of december when is my next one going to be i am scared it will come late my stomach feels full and today i have been letting out a few gases as i should say. Any home remedies no medicine that can cure this apparently boiled water in the morning is good but i havent tried this before what should i do ? Im soo worried whenever i eat i just get fuller and fuller and cannont eat a lot because i feel like throwing up what could the cure to this be ?
|

replied January 3rd, 2013
:/?
|

replied April 1st, 2013
I have the same problem my period is late and I do the same thing even though I can't be pregnant because I'm a virgin, this has been very helpful thank you x
|

replied June 4th, 2013
hey , I read through this blog and it has valuable advise thus I am posting a query too due to which I am a bit worried now.

I am 22 years old and its been 10 months since I lost my virginity. Before intercourse my periods were perfectly normal 7 days a week heavy in the beginning and light at the end but since the intercourse there were irregularities such as lower intensity of blood flow, change in patters of heaviness such as lighter blood in first days and heavier in the last days, Now since the last 4 months I am getting periods twice a month within ten days of gap instead of proper 28 or 30 days cycle with extremely light flow. I am assuming this is associated with heavy masturbation for orgasms that I do on a daily basis sometimes twice a day - nowadays. Is this changed irregularity of menses due to orgasms or can be it sourced into a deeper problem and I should consult a gynecologist. I dont take any pills we use quality condoms for sex or just do coitus peribius . plz try to answer my query as soon as possible. will be grateful. Before losing my virginity was never involved in masturbation.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Community Volunteer
It sounds like just the opposite. You have some hormonal imbalance that also increased your sexual appetite leading to more regular masturbationis.

There is really no connection between periods and masturbation. But your hormones can cause the frequent need for sexual release, as well as menstrual problems.

Since you became sexually active and you are in your 20s, you should anyways see your OB Gyn for an exam.
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Please help.
Hey. I'm 24 years old and I've been masturbating while reaching an orgasm each time about 6 times a day. Ever since I was 13, my periods have came every two weeks. At times, (rarely) I wouldn't masturbate at all for a month and my cycle would come regularly. But as soon as I start back up again, my period will come irregularly. I'm addicted to this feeling and it feels like... Like... My clit is automatically pulsing at a tickly feel once its reach. Although the feeling is VERY pleasurable, my cycles come sooner. The more I do it, the quicker my cycle comes. Please help!
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Also, I've been masturbating and meeting that climax (I think its a climax, its a feeling no man had ever reached for me) and that's when my period became irregularly. Once again, please help!
|

replied June 4th, 2013
I started at 13.
|

replied June 5th, 2013
Community Volunteer
There is really really no relationship between masturbation, sex and orgasms, and your menstrual frequency. And your cycle has been this way since you started.

The fact that you feel the need to masturbate that often does however show that you may have a hormonal imbalance which is also causing the short cycles.

You need to seek medical help to have a look at your hormone levels and your short periods.
|

replied June 26th, 2013
Missed period
Okay so I'm 15 years old and still a virgin but I masterbate a lot, and I've only had my period two times this year, should I be worried? Is it because I masterbate too mucht?
|

replied June 26th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Well it all depends on what your cycles were like before this year, and when you had your first period? When did your breasts start to develop, and are they still developing? How is your weight, and do you take any medicines regularly?

Have you spoken to your mom or guardian about your missing periods?

Masturbation does not have anything to do with this. So you do not even have to mention that. Rubbing your clitoris until you orgasm does all sorts of wonderful things in your body, but it does not affect the hormones controlling your cycle. It does not affect ovulation or menstruation. Not when you do it a lot, and not when you never masturbate. It just does not have any effect on your cycles.
|

replied July 7th, 2013
late menses
I am 16 and I master ate and feel really good but the problem is that I have started getting my period late...I prefer usi g the showed head than my hand...I dont insert anything.....I. really worried and my period is after every 46 days ....since the beginning... please help I'm worriied
|

replied July 7th, 2013
I am 16 and I master ate and feel really good but the problem is that I have started getting my period late...I prefer usi g the showed head than my hand...I dont insert anything.....I. really worried and my period is after every 46 days ....since the beginning... please help I'm worriied
|

replied July 7th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Have you spoken to your mom about your long cycles? 45 days are very long, but it is not necessarily a problem. Your doctor may find that it normal for you.

Your masturbation does not have anything to do with your cycle. Even if you get water inside you. It is a good thing that you keep water out of your vagina. Your vagina is naturally acidic inside to destroy germs. if you get water inside, it can disturb the balance inside your vagina.
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
This forum is really helpful!
I have a question..
Im 18 years old
weigh 52kg
Have normal sizes breast
The thing is my periods started when I was 13 and ever since then they have been extremely irregular. They hardly come on a monthly basis, they usually come around 4 times a year max. I went to the doctor and they deduced polycystic ovarys that was confined to one but now both my ovaries are polycystic. My period is heavy and lasts more than a week and it always comes out as blood clots.
I now have unwantd facial haie on my chin and cheeks. Everytime i wax or thread they come out thicker than before. I also have some (not a lot) of hair on my chest. I dont want to turn in to a man and this has really affected my confidence level.
I masturbate at least once everyday.
Help me with the hair problem and please suggest what i should do.
And tell me if it may cause infertility or problems with pregnancy
|

replied September 22nd, 2013
Community Volunteer
You should immediately go on birth control to stop the cysts from spreading and growing. Your doctor should have done that the first time you were diagnosed with PCOS. If you just leave it, it will rob your fertility.

What is happening is that the PCOS is elevating your testosterone levels. Testosterone is a male hormone present in just small quantities in a woman. This causes the masculinization - mail pattern hair growth and baldness, enlarging clitoris and stopping ovulation and menstruation.

Please take action right now.
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2013
I'm 13 and I've been masturbating every other day for about a year now. I just for some reason feel like I have to. I hate it. It feels good, but I really don't want to do it. My church and family think it's wrong so I haven't told anyone. I don't think I ever will. I don't know why I feel the need to do it. Also, my blood flow started increasing drastically when I started masturbating. I'm just really confused and worried.
|

replied October 4th, 2013
Community Volunteer
It is easy to beat yourself up, and to feel bad and guilty. You are probably hearing a lot of things, about what is right and what is wrong, how you should behave. It uis very easy to get confused.

You have urges and needs because that is the way Mother Nature made you. You are a sexual being. The survival of the human race depends on you being a sexual being. So it is normal to feel urges, and want to orgasm. It is after all a lot of fun. Having an orgasm is also very good for you. Chemicals and hormones are secreted into your brain and blood when you get aroused and orgasm. These makes you feel good, happy and relaxed. So it is perfectly normal to feel the urge to give yourself an orgasm.

Babies in their mother's wombs have been seen masterbating and orgasming on ultrasounds. So it is perfectly natural and a part of who you are as a woman. Masturbation is also a good way to deal safely with your urges, Masturbation is nothing new. Men and women have done so forever. In my bible, there is not a single place where masturbation is described as wrong, or for that matter, even described. You would think that if it was considered wrong, there would at least be one reference to it being wrong, but not one. Not even close.

Be careful to worry about the right things. If you really feel like stopping, just do it. Next time you feel the need to rub yourself, just get up and go and do something else. It is as easy as that. If you decide to go ahead and masturbate, do not feel guilty or bad. It is natural. You are not hurting or harming anyone or anything. You are doing what comes naturally and what your body was made to enjoy. Just stop feeling guilty.

Masturbation is a private thing. Do not confuse privacy with bad or wrong. The fact that we do it in private does not make it bad or wrong. It just makes it private.

So decide for yourself. If it is wrong for you, just stop. If it is ok, enjoy it and stop feeling guilty.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
I am 15 and I masturbate regularly and I have not gotten my period for the last two months does that have to do with anything? plus I have never had sex before.
|

replied December 30th, 2013
Community Volunteer
Nope, no connection between masturbation and periods. If that was the case, women having sex would also have problems.

You do not say how long you have been menstruating. If it is for a year or longer, and you miss it for a third month, please talk to your mom or guardian. It is important to make sure it is not ovarian cysts (PCOS) causing it.

Take care!
|

replied January 15th, 2014
Is Masturbating Causing My Irregular Period?
So I read these questions and responses and they helped but I still feel like me masturbating is what is causing my irregular period. Im 17 and I dont masturbate a lot anymore, but I do once a week sometimes not even every week, but I dont use anything to masturbate with. It sounds weird but I like hump on my clothes or blanket. But I started my period in the 5th grade and now im in 12th so yea, but I feel like the reason my period is so irregular is because, I cant remember exactly when was the first time I masturbated but for sure it was in elementary school, which is early! But I cant remember when I started to have irregular periods but for sure I remember 8th grade I had itregilar periods, I would never get it every month, it would be every other month, sometimes Id skip two.months, three months and four months. Which is extremly weird. I remember I asked my doctor in 9th grade why my period is irregular and he asked me if I was active in sports and at the time I was. I did judo, volleyball, and sprinted in track so I thought maybe that was the reason why? But I quit all those sports in like 10th grade and it is still itregular til this day! So I thought maybe ita because I masturbate and have been masturbating since I was in elementary school. Some people told me its bad that I have an irregular peruod because that might mean I wont be able to have kids since im possibly not producing enough eggs, so could masturbating make me not produce enough eggs? And I just though, maybe since ive been masturbating at such a young age i dont produce enough eggs right now since i masturbate at such a young age, if that makes sense? Im really worried :/ Sorry for such a long qiestion... Im just really worried and cant talk about with my Mom.
& Also I have another question, can masturbating cause you to break out and cause pimples? Everytime I seem to masturbate a few days later I get two or more pimples and when I dont masturbate for a few weeks I dont get any? Is it all in my head or does masturbation actually cause pimples?
|

replied January 16th, 2014
Community Volunteer
I do not how to put it in other terms, or stronger terms. Masturbation does not have anything to do with fertility and cycles. If there is any connection, it is just the other way around. Your. cycle can affect how often you masturbate, since some hormones will make you horny (estrogen and testosterone). I think that is what you are experiencing. The same hormones will cause pimples. So your hormone levels shoot up, you get thorny and masturbate, and you get a breakout. Both the breakout and your masturbation is related to the change in hormones, not the other way around.

If masturbation causes cycle problems or infertility, then plain old normal sex will do the same. That will mean that every woman that is sexually active will have the same problem. And most married women will have cycle issues and be infertile.

But fortunately, having orgasms does not affect your cycle or your fertility. I know that with all the guilt we feel about masturbation, our bodies and sex, it is easy to just look for the answer right there. But the guilt is a cultural thing. It is not based on anything real. With every generation living in a little bit more liberated and enlightened world, one day there will be no guilt or fear about sexuality, bodies and masturbation. But until then, we have to grow up with it. It does not mean that it has to stick with you forever however.

What can cause these types of issues?

Low body fat. That is why the doctor asked you about sport. Super fit athletes have a very low body fat, and they will not menstruate until they pick up weight and/or exercise less.

Ovarian cysts (PCOS)

Stress and worry

Some medicines

Other midical conditions.

The definition of irregular cycles are also more liberal than you think.

A 'normal' cycle is between 22 and 35 days. Bleeding between 2 and 7 days. And the average of your shorter and longer cycles are less than 9 days different. So if you cycle 28 days this month, and 37 days next month, it is still within the regular range.

Irregular or long cycles does not mean that you are infertile. It can, for a small number of women, but normally not.

So please please please stop feeling guilty and beating yourself up about masturbation. You are a normal woman, nothing out of the ordinary there.

If you are worried about your irregular cycles, that is a totally seperate issue. Speak to your mom about it. And ask to see a doctor.

Best of luck!
|

replied January 23rd, 2014
HI..
im 13 nd I watch a lotta porn
wen I c it I masturbate
but I feel disgusting it also makes me satisfy myself
bt I really want 2 stop it
bcuz it has decreased my attention in studies
any tips
plz plz