Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

TOO Much Antioxidants a Bad Thing? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
Its seems as if antioxidants are all the rage now. We have Sobe, Vitamin Water, and now even Snapple antioxidant water.

The question I have is:
How much is TOO MUCH? When does it become BAD for our bodies.

I am currently taking an antioxidant called OP3, which comes in a powder formula that I mix with water (I do not like pills). I am just worried that taking this, with a multi-vitamin, etc could actually be too much for my body?

I know the point of a supplement is to be taken when you are not getting enough but i think many people are over doing it and relying on them to get by with eating the proper foods.

I took this directly off of the site it describes the purpose of antioxidants:

"A free radical is an atomic structure with an unpaired electron in its outermost shell. These unpaired electrons tend to be highly reactive, resulting in chemical reactions such as oxidation. Because they have one or more unpaired electrons, free radicals are highly unstable. They scavenge the body to grab or donate electrons, causing damage to cells, proteins and DNA. Free radicals are naturally occurring; however, air pollution, stress, smoking, heavy exercising and aging all contribute to the creation of harmful free radicals. Free radicals can cause oxidative damage to the body, potentially leading to serious health problems. Normally the body is able to protect itself from the damaging effects of free radicals, but if antioxidants are unavailable, or if free radical production becomes excessive, damage can occur."

"Antioxidants are natural cell protectors, neutralizing free radicals by pairing an electron to the outermost shell of radical oxygen molecules, rendering them harmless. Antioxidants are nutrients such as vitamins and minerals, and enzymes that are capable of counteracting the damaging, but normal, effects of the physiological process of oxidation in bodily tissues. Antioxidants work in two ways, chain breaking and prevention. A chain-breaking antioxidant such as vitamins A, C and E, stabilize free radicals or cause them to decay into harmless atomic structures. A preventative antioxidant prevents the oxidation process by scavenging free radicals."

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the link to what I am currently taking.

There are many other great nutritional supplements here as well.

Market America - OPC 3
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mm23112311
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
I haven't read anything other then the question you asked in bold font.

Antioxidants are quite important, for the reasons that are probably mentioned in the copy paste you provided for us, where they neutralize free radicals that will cause the cells to begin oxidating.

However, depending on the vitamin/nutrient you are taking in, yes it can be toxic. Yes, this is not really answering what you asked, because you want to know exactly how much is too much. But you did not specify which antioxidant, which nutrient you wish to know about. Depending on which one, whether it is selenium, vitamin E, vitamin __, etc, our body can take them indefinitely, or a limited amount, it depends on the specific nutrient. So you would have to specify because it is not as if our body can take x amount of all antioxidants equally.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Not really, if you vary your sources.
Disclaimer: Entire entry quoted from source at the bottom.

<< You can't get too many anti-oxidants (unless you are a fan of aging and dying)

What you could do, is get too much of one source of anti-oxidants.

For example:

Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant, but too much of it will mess up your digestion (nothing permanent, but it's not fun)

Teas are often cultivated with a fertilizing agent called Alum, which can lead to trace amounts of aluminium in tea, which is not good for you.

Vitamin E is a good anti-oxidant as well, but it's fat soluable - so too much of it is toxic.

Vary your sources and you should be fine.

Sources: nutritional consulting and education>>
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
I agree. You can never get too much of antioxidants. After all, our bodies need as many antioxidants as possible to keep healthy. There are plenty of foods that have antioxidants, called superfoods , and the trick is to vary them, and not eat too much of any one.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
This is true super foods are your best bet to getting the most out of your antioxidants. But dont waste your money, I would try to find an orac chart and determine the equivilent of 10,000 orac a day or if you can manage 5000 orac an hour because that is all your body can absorb and the rest is wasted.
http://www.livingantioxidants.com
|

replied March 4th, 2009
antioxidants
If your body can't use them it just passes through your body. I would suggest using a supplement that has all of them in one designed pill. There are some on the market. Advocare products are the best.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
nutrition antioxidants
From the research I have read you can't get too much antioxidants if you get them in whole foods. The key is to take in a variety of antioxidant rich foods, preferably organically grown. The research that shows the most effective results from antioxidants were from whole foods. Research on the effects of individual antioxidants like vitamin C or E were not as consistent. Search ORAC scores to find lists of foods high in antioxidants and eat to your hearts content!
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2009
Supporter
I believe you can take too many antioxidants
Like any other vitamin, if you take over the RDA it can have an adverse effect on the body. If you're taking a multivitamin and an antioxidant formula you should switch to a multivitamin with antioxidants.
OPC-3 Beauty Blend contains:
Grape Seed Extract: 25 mg
Red Wine Extract: 25 mg
Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol®): 40 mg
Bilberry Extract: 25 mg
Citrus Extract (Bioflavonoids): 25 mg
Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate): 15 mg.
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): 200 mg.
Vitamin D3: 400 IU
Vitamin E Acetate: 33 mg.
Biotin: 150 mcg.
Calcium (Lactate): 400 mg.
Magnesium (Carbonate): 150 mg.
Potassium (Bicarbonate): 125 mg.

A New York Times article says that 500 mg/ day of Vitamin C can cause damage to genes. Other sources say too much calcium can lead to kidney damage and decreased absorption of other minerals. Too much magnesium can cause diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Too much potassium can disrupt the heart's rhythm. Too much hyaluronic acid has been linked to cancer...(Of course, this refers to long term overdosing on these vitamins.)
It's all a matter of overdoing it. Nothing is a miracle cure and once you go above the RDA or Daily Value, you run the risk of having those same vitamins and minerals cause harm.
***Most of this information was taken from the national Institute of Health.
|

replied February 28th, 2010
try Kyani
a new company Kyani, has a great combination of multivitamins and antioxidants, a "superjuice" 100% natural no side effects, most of which is from wild alaskan blueberry
|

replied March 30th, 2010
Too Many Vitamins?
In my humble opinion, I think it IS possible to get much vitamins or antioxidants; but it is pretty unlikely. Especially if you are getting them just from food. It is really hard to eat so much food that you are in danger of overdosing on vitamins. The more likely danger is that you will get fat.

The danger is more likely if you are using high-dosage supplements. But there again, I have heard of very few people who have died or even been seriously ill from too many vitamins. On the other hand, there are many people dying every day because they have a deficiency of one vitamin or another.

Normal doses of supplements should not be harmful unless you are taking multiple doses each day. Just pick a good pharmaceutical grade of supplement and use common sense.

|

replied March 30th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Excess of anything in the body is bad for you. Anti-oxidants aren't capable of preventing aging or dying.
They have health benefits that are slightly less impressive than the benefits of eating a balanced diet of natural foods.
|

replied April 26th, 2010
The question which is raise is absolutely correct,excess of anything is harmful,we should maintain the balance that is most important thing.

|

replied April 27th, 2010
Antioxidants are rather significant, for the causes that are likely cited in the exact replicate paste you supplied for us, where they neutralize free radicals that will origin the units to start oxidizing.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
Anything in excess is bad especially if it has something to do with our health. I recommend you take a all in one antioxidant, meaning in one mixture or one capsule. You don't have take vitamin A and E at the same time, you could just have resveratrol which is a good antioxidant known worldwide,
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Antioxidants - Can you have too many?
There are fat soluble vitamins and water soluble.
Fat soluble vitamins are stored in our body (Vitamins A, D, E and K) and do not need to be consumed daily. Water soluble vitamins are not stored by the body and need to be ingested daily (every vitamin but the ones listed above).

It IS definitely possible to get too much of any vitamin or mineral in your body. Search the internet for "deficiency" or "overdose" of any particular vitamin or mineral and you will see.

For example, too much of any B Vitamin will throw off all the other B Vitamins. Too much Vitamin C has side effects of "muscle weekness, bleeding gums and easy bruising". Too little Vitamin C can harden your arteries or thin your blood, make acid reflux worsen..., etc.

I personally will take extra Vitamin C if I'm starting to get a cold, and it will heal it or make me feel better within a day or two. But then I will stop. I eat a very healthy diet with a lot of natural, whole foods (everything in moderation). Hope this helps.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
We should all aim for balance.
|

replied March 9th, 2011
I have to say that I agree with many things that have been said about taking anti-oxidants. I do take grape seed extract, along with multivitamins and minerals, as, although I eat a healthy balanace diet, I personally do not believe that I get all that I need the natural way. On a lighter, more alternative note, check this out!
|

replied June 26th, 2011
Hi you could do a body cleansing or liver cleansing detox to gain back energy and fight fatigue. I found this out to help me personally. is a place that has good info on cleansing of the body to help combat low energy.
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2011
Thank you for information. But I don't want to take any medications or supplements into himself. Are there effective external anti-oxidants?
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Its hard to say what is too much, generally most antioxidants if taken at extreme amounts would pass straight through you and in rare cases, you vomit or feel like your going to vomit. I myself have had antioxidant poisoning, but I ate close to 200 carrots in one sitting. As determined by the FDA you have to consume between 1500MCG and 3000MCG to feel and be affected by side effects but they are not deadly.
|

replied July 7th, 2011
i apologize its not the FDA its the USDA
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
12 >>
Quick Reply