Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

tonsillitis and HIV

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Dear Doctor

I am male 25 years old,before 2 months i had unprotected vaginal sex,one week after that i developed sever tonsillitis .in last 3 years i had recurrent attack of tonsillitis but every time after talking antibiotic the tonsil size returned back to normal size,this time till now still my tonsil enlarged.so i want to ask

1_during acute HIV infection tonsil and lymph node will stay enlarged for how many days??
2_i lost about 5 kg in short time ,sever weigh loss in short time could be early sign of infection or that weight loss could be due to stress and nausea.because i had alot of stress and nausea and i was thinking about it all the time.
I know the only way to know if i am positive or not is test but iam living in country it is very hard to be positive.

note.sorry this is 2nd time iam asking this question but because of website problem i didn't see the answer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2012
Welcome to e health forum.

It is not possible to diagnose HIV just based on the signs and symptoms that you have. As you know already, the diagnosis can be done only by HIV antibody detection by serology testing. Unless a HIV test confirms that you are HIV positive, your symptoms cannot be attributed to HIV.

Tonsillitis is not a common and specific sign of HIV infection. The enlarged tonsils is mostly due to chronic bacterial infection, and hence you will need antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications to help reduce the symptoms. In case they do not work, then you may need a surgical procedure to remove the tonsils.

The weight loss in your issue, is most probable due to your anxiety, stress, and reduced dietary intake.

I would suggest you to consult with a ENT doctor for a examination and specific treatment of your tonsillitis.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.