Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

tonsil trouble. HIV or tonsillitus?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hello,
So my boyfriend and I of two years broke up for a little over a month, in that time he hooked up with his old ex girlfriend. Before when we were dating there was no problems or signs of any risk of stds and knowing his past history he seems clean. But last week we ended up getting back together, I gave him oral sex without protection but he didn't cum in my mouth. Then we had protected sex. He has absolutly no signs or symptoms of any illness or disease. Now over a week later my tonsils have become very swollen, sore and are covered in a white substance. I went to my doctor Yestarday which was the second day having this symptom and she tested me for strep which came back negative. She asked if I was sexually active and I told her yes and she asked about oral sex and I panicked and said that wasn't a worry. She then told me to go get bloodwork to test me for mono, which I had once already 3 years ago. For the past few months I have noticed little white chunks on my tonsil but no swelling or coverage like this. Is it possible that I just have tonsillitis or would that show up when she tested me for strep? Also would symptoms for HIV appear this quickly if that was unfortunately the case. She prescribed me a zpack and this is only my second day taking It with no big change. Thanks so much.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Experienced User
hi there
incubation period of mono is about one month to two months,so you didn't contract mono from him,
maybe it is bacterial tonsillitis which is also contagious ,very rarely HIV can be transmitted by oral sex,alot of studies decline HIV transmission by oral sex,i suggest to ask your boyfriend about his status,to make you calm down.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
I have talked to him about it and hes just as curious as i am. He knows everything about this issueunfortunately at the moment he is out of town for 2 weeks but he hasn't had any signs or symptoms of any sort of illness. I got a call today from my doctor about my bloodwork and she said everything's normal. Including white blood cells. I've looked online at pictures of tonsillitis ad what I have looks similiar, but of that's what I have how do they test for it?
|

replied April 20th, 2012
hi dear

you have tonsillitis,which is common condition.
the condition either could be viral , bacterial or fungal.
according to the symptoms and tests doctors can say what is the cause but he cant be sure 100%.
bacterial tonsillitis can be detected by taking swab from tonsil for culture.
and in fungal infection doctor can diagnose it by looking at your tonsil which is uncommon .
in viral infection if mono ,there are two specific tests for it,monspot and paul bunnel.you can take the picture of your tonsil and send it to me.
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Experienced User
hi there

sorry i don't understand your question.

but of that's what I have how do they test for it?
|