Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

tongue problem

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
about 6 months ago i noticed someting happening/forming on my tongue, it originally felt like a mild burn and looked like several mishapen spots, mostly circular, that had slightly white edging making the paipllae clearly visable, and reddened looking, i thought maybe i burned my tongue. I have tried using oragel, baking soda, toothpaste, and other herbal remedies for relief but nothing has healed this permanently, meaning it keeps coming back. I had been taking a prescription mediation when this first formed that resulted in severe dry mouth so i stopped taking the medication, still now months later my tongue is still in bad shape.

I do not have health insurance and like most people money is tight, still i am starting to become very scared, could this be cancer, or indication of something very serious. I have only had sex with three people, each has been tested for HIV- negative, and i have always tested negative for HIV, last test was almost two years ago and I have not had sex is almost 2 years now.

I used to smoke, for one year, but that was three years ago, although i have occassioanly had a cigarette, probably 10 in the last 3 years. I do drink alcohol, occassionally, although for the past 2 months i have gone out drinking, 3 drinks, 1 night per week despite this situation with my tongue.

i took 2 photos of it today which i can post if it might help with a diagnosis.

thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2008
Supporter
does it hurts? if not search for geographic tongue pictures and compare it
|

replied March 9th, 2008
hello thank you , that really seems like it, i have been putting drosera on it and that does suppress it but when i lapse it returns and yes sometimes it does just go away on its own, i know the article said there is nothing that can be done, but i am still somewhat scared of cancer, especially since i have never heard of anyone else in my family getting this.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2008
Supporter
thats is a genetic condition it's very normal and dont cause any problem it is as normal as other types of tongues ,like fissure tongue and hairy tongue. (eyes ,noses ,hands differ from person to person and there are different configurations textures color but all are normals.)...(tongue carcinomas does not change from place to place, many times are hard growing ulcerative lession )tongue like maybe you always have it but you have notice it now ,dot get scare, I have many patients with geographic tongue and they have never notice it before ,and congratulations for looking into your mouth because many times people dont search their body and didn't perform autoexam and that is one of the things that prevents complications and illness
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
My 17 year old daughter is suffering with pain and itching and sores on her tongue. I have a picture I would love to post. She has been seen by a dentist, orthodontist, pediatrician, and family Doctor, nothing has helped. She has been tested for herpes and it was negative. She has had reaccuring symptoms for approximately 3 years and they are becoming more severe and more frequent. Her tongue gets red and it looks like inflamed taste buds, they burn and itch horribly, then white lessions form. Her current symptoms have now lasted 5 months. Should I take her to a ear/nose/throat dr. or an allergest? Any ideas? What could this be?

Dexamethasom oral rinse, no sugar diet, lysin, salt water rinses, oral gel,
|