Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Toenail peeled off

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
User Profile
Tonight I was on the couch and touched my left foot second toe and the nail peeled off from base to the other side. The WHOLE NAIL. There was no blood or pain. Now there is no nail at all on my toe. This has never happened. Female age 35. I'm a clean person and wear nail polish for years. I take vit C, vit D, powder superfood, centrum, CO Q10, fish oil, detox tea 4-5 days week, liver 5 day cleanse a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2010
Foot Disorders Answer A15935
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. What you seem to be having is onycholyis. Onycholysis is characterized by a spontaneous separation of the nail plate. It can be due to dermatological causes, systemic causes, neoplastic diseases and biologic causes.

Try avoiding trauma to the nail, contact with contact irritants and moisture and keep your nail shirt. Topical antifungals and steroids may be needed. Severe cases may need oral antifungals and steroid injections.

My sincere advice is to consult a dermatologist and get it evaluated. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Foot Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.