Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Toe surgery - anthroplasty ?

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
User Profile
Hi I have been having problems with my big toe for app. 3 years I have had ostenil injections to no avail - my podiatry surgeon has usggested an operation to shorten my big toe - think it is called anthroplasty - is this a good idea - he has said I could possibly have hip problems in the future if I don't have the surgery - I am too young for a joint replacement I am 54 - another podiatrist has said to only have the op as a last resort really do not know what to do - am looking for advice or people who have had the operation - see how they have coped

Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2010
Arthritis Answer A9381
You may want to look into orthotics, specific ones called spinal-pelvic stabilizers are geared more towards helping/preventing hip/spine problems, but they may also help the toe if made properly. In my office I use Foot Levelers, but there are others as well. All my patients that have had surgery on their toes have regretted it, but that doesn't mean that some people don't get relief. Good luck!

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.