Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Toddler feces off-white

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My granddaughter aged 3 stayed overnight and went to the toilet when I discovered her faeces was an off white colour. When I remarked on this she said it was always like that. I am worried and would like some advice please. Thank you. \
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Swing69
|

User Profile
replied October 17th, 2009
Community Volunteer
This is not normal and could indicate a problem with the liver or binary tract. Stool gets its brown color from bile, and if the liver isn't producing it effectively,it leaves the stool white. She should be seen by a doctor asap.

Problems include:

* Liver infections, such as hepatitis
* Biliary cirrhosis
* Gallstones
* Anatomic abnormalities of the intestines or bile ducts present at birth (congenital)
* Inborn errors of metabolism
* Sclerosing cholangitis
* Narrowing (strictures) of bile ducts
* Cysts
* Tumors
* A side effect of certain medications, such as some antibiotics, antifungal drugs and antacids
|

replied April 28th, 2011
cystic fibrosis
I would take necessary precautions and visit the doctor. Among the problems involved(mentioned above) could also include Cystic fibrosis, which is almost always diagnosed around the ages of 2-4. My cousin's step-daughter was diagnosed at 3 when she was having white stool. I urge you to seek medical help for her.
|
Quick Reply