My granddaughter aged 3 stayed overnight and went to the toilet when I discovered her faeces was an off white colour. When I remarked on this she said it was always like that. I am worried and would like some advice please. Thank you. \
This is not normal and could indicate a problem with the liver or binary tract. Stool gets its brown color from bile, and if the liver isn't producing it effectively,it leaves the stool white. She should be seen by a doctor asap.
* Liver infections, such as hepatitis
* Biliary cirrhosis
* Anatomic abnormalities of the intestines or bile ducts present at birth (congenital)
* Inborn errors of metabolism
* Sclerosing cholangitis
* Narrowing (strictures) of bile ducts
* A side effect of certain medications, such as some antibiotics, antifungal drugs and antacids
I would take necessary precautions and visit the doctor. Among the problems involved(mentioned above) could also include Cystic fibrosis, which is almost always diagnosed around the ages of 2-4. My cousin's step-daughter was diagnosed at 3 when she was having white stool. I urge you to seek medical help for her.