Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Toddler bed

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
User Profile
When should a toddler sleep in a bed rather than a cot? I know all children are different, but how old is the recommended age? A couple of times now we've gone in Jenny's room & she's had her leg over the side of the rails & it scares me to death! The base of the cot is on its lowest setting & has been for a while now.

Any advice?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i think 18 months they usually say, but william was in a toddler bed way before then. it really depends on the child and whether you think they are ready.
|

replied March 24th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
the bed we got finn has 18 months listed as the youngest age recommendation, though of course you can use it sooner. i think 2 1/2 is probably the average age for making the switch though. it's really up to you and jenny!

finn's been getting out of his crib but he's never made a sound when he does it, so i don't know how he's getting out so quietly but he's not falling and hurting himself. we just set his bed up but he's not ready to sleep in it yet. i'm hoping he'll get used to it soon though since we'll need the crib in a few months for esme.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
the bed i got for val says 15 months (yes she already has a bed, it was so hard to find the one i wanted i snatched it up when she was like 6 months lol)
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2008
Supporter
Reeses bed said 15 months + and he was 15 months when i got it.. hes so tall he was trying to get out and i figured falling out of a toddler bed is alot better then falling out of a crib
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
We have a crib that converts to a toddler bed and I know it says not to use it as a toddler bed until they are 15 months.. I would just go by when you think is the right time! If you get a bed and it doesn't work out you could always go back to the crib for a while
|

replied November 11th, 2013
I think 18 months is what they say but mine was in a toddler bed pretty early.Also if and when the child feels he is ready and depends on you whether you think they are ready as well.
|