Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

to test the fallopian tube are blocked or not, painful?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
My doctor suggest me to test the fallopian tube are blocked or not but i am affraid of this test can you tell me this test is painful or not?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
neelambhatt,

The test is not painful, but it does cause some cramping like when you have your period.

The following is taking from a radiology website:

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A HYSTEROSALPINGOGRAM:

This exam should cause only minor discomfort.

There may be slight discomfort and cramping when the catheter is placed and the contrast material is injected, but it should not last long. There may also be slight irritation of the peritoneum, the lining of the abdominal cavity, causing generalized lower abdominal discomfort, but this should also be minimal and not long lasting. Most women experience vaginal spotting for a few days after the examination, which is normal.

Hope this helps to ease your fears. If you need the test done, you should have it done. Good luck.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
You should know that there are several methods of doing this test - x-ray, ultrasound, and surgery. Please verify which method your doctor will be choosing and ask them for information. In all likelihood, it will be fairly tolerable, but be sure to take ibuprofen before the test.
|
Quick Reply