Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJD Temporomandibular Joint Disorder and singing.

User Profile
I am a professional touring singer in the U.K. I have been a long time sufferer of TMJD for the last 5 or 6 years now. I have had numerous treatments over the years: Moulded splint, my jaw joint rinsed out with an operation, botox injections. Upto last week the pain was manageable with only moderate pain levels and my cocodamol and citalopram taking care of this, but recently the pain has switched to a sharp shooting sensation in my left jaw which radiates around my ear and and a nauseous sensation. I thought I had grown out of these massive pains because for the past 18 months the pain would go over night (also while singing) and now its suddenly come back and I have constant pain now. It's quite clear that singing aggravates it as well as loud music (the bass vibrations) as well as when I put headphones on my head even at a very quiet volume.

I have a 8 day period in which i'm free from singing and would like to know how to get the best from it. To try to restore the TMJ just back to mild/moderate pain levels.
Thanks Ben
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 10th, 2011
Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your pain. Have you tried physical therapy? Or seen a chriopractor?
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2011
I have tried physical therapy, I'm going to a reflexologist soon to see if they can help. Also I'm going to my doctors looking for a new group of pain killers which will intercept the pain as anti inflammatory and paracetamol do not seem to have any effect.
|

replied June 9th, 2011
TMJ singing
I am a singer, I have the same thing too. It is so depressing, because it hurts to sing, which is the love of my life.... have you found anything?? I am on FACEBOOK if you would like to chat there....
|

replied December 26th, 2012
TMJ
I have TMJ and based in the UK also, I am also on citalapram and cocodomol, these are ma doses and the pain persists, I have tried relaxation, soft foods etc and so far still suffering. Gets me down, esp at Christmas, whilst the rest of Britain tucked into their Christmas lunch, mine was a bowl of porridge. I live in Sussex and have seen 3 doctors, a dentist and the Max Facial unit at mylocal hospital, being referred now to a City hospital...
|