Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

tmj with dentures

This has been going on for 6 weeks. I have had 2 ER visits, CT scan, 5 Dr. Appts.,visit to ENT(nothing wrong with ears). The ENT siad arthritis of jaw/TMJ. I went back to GP who gave me shots of torodol/an anti-inflamatory/lidocaine in my shoulder, neck and bottom of ear and sent me for x-rays of head, jaw, neck and spine.
It takes a week to get an appointment with my GP, took 2 weeks to get into ENT. I am being sent to neurologist next. We have no one in my area that specializes in TMJ. Closest one is 2 hours away.
I have severe ear pain (sleep about 2 hours a night), headaches(migraines) neck, shoulder pain, ringing in ears, sensitivity to noise, sore throat, etc.
I do not know how long it is going to take to find out if I have this or not. The pain is horrible.
I have dentures, they have been re-lined. Any help is appreciated since I do not know how long anything with take and I start back to work on 11/15/10 after 5 months off for tendon reconstruction surgery. The surgery was on right wrist and this is right ear pain. I do not know how I will make it through day with all this.
I take ibuprophen, naproxen(for tendonitis on thumb side of right wrist. Help please
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2010
Experienced User
TMJ symptoms due to teeth height
The height of your teeth can cause so much TMJ symptoms and anxiety. That is the case with me. Once you have the right denture make sure to have a model of this denture with you. So if in case you lose your denture, your dentist can make you a new denture using the model you have. My previous dentist made my molars longer and caused me to suffer from severe TMJ symptoms and anxiety and this dentist is saying that my old teeth model was broken and was thrown away. Now, I have spent thousands of $ trying to find the right teeth height. I'm wearing temporary crowns now which is being adjusted in height and bite, very very frustrating. I'm seeing a great prosthodontist right now.

Good luck to you.
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
I saw a Dr. who said it is TMJ Arthritis and I am going to have tests and other things done. Again I have to wait on insurance. I was given exercises and a cream to apply. I hurt so badly I don't care about anything. It will be another 2-3 weeks before I can go back.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Experienced User
Livseyfam4- do you keep your dentures in at night or take them out?
|