Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ supplement help

I have been having tmj symptoms for the past 20 years on and off. The last month or so, it has been increasingly painful. After doing extensive research on the internet, I have found relief after only 3 days of taking these herbs and supplements.
2000 mg per day of Ginger Root for Inflammation. I cannot take an nsaid because of an ulcer and that is why I am using the ginger root.
1300 mg per day of Valerian Root. This helps you relax
1000 mg per day of Magnesium. Once I added this 2 days after starting the others, my jaw is finally loosened and the pain is
no longer there.
I have been taking 1000 mg 2x per day of Magnesium oxide only because I know the oxide does not absorb into the system well. After this is done, I am going to switch to Magnesium Chelate 500 mg per day and see how that goes. I may go up to 1000 mg per day if it is not enough.

But this is working for me. I used to wear a dentist brace 15 years ago, but the prices of these devices seem so high now and insurance won't cover it. Way back when, my insurance covered it , but no longer.

Give it a try, it has worked for me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2010
herbs & supplements
thanks for this post...currently using mag/calcium (nat. calm), turmeric for joint inflamation & Maca Root for hormones...this has helped but not enough. My current resting splint makes things worse. Physical therapy & water pillow has helped but I still have pain, stiffness, ringing ears and eye pressure. Will try adding ginger...curious about the Valarian root. How did it make you feel?
|

replied June 12th, 2010
I suffer from anxiety and I used to be on Paxil. After 20 years of being on it, I was tired of it and weaned myself off last August. I have felt lately like I just want to slap someone, and I had no patience with anything. I read about the Valerian Root, and I bought it and took 1300 mg (which is recommended). About 30 minutes later, the edge of my anxiety eased and I feel much calmer. I think you should give it a try. They sell it at Walgreens and Walmart. It only costs $4.00.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
I reread your post, and I was reading you should not use Calcium with the magnesium. I guess the calcium steals some of the magnesium from your body. Try using just the magnesium supplement without the calcium.
|

replied April 14th, 2012
TMJ sufferer
I am currently suffering from TMJ and just found out I'm needing pain relief fast. Im on an anti-imflammatory already but do not know what kind of doctor to go see to get professional help. Can someone clue me in?
|