Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

TMJ , Forgetfulness , and anger

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Ever since school started, I've been slowly falling behind. I am constantly out sick. Today, I lost my calculator, got a 0 on an exam and completely freaked out at my teacher, and then began crying in the middle of the hallway. My jaw has been locking up on and off for a week, and I feel like no matter how hard I try, I cannot get to sleep on time. On top of it all, my work has been piling up, and I can't seem to force myself to do it. I don't know what to do.

I need advice at the very least.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 28th, 2009
Please, somebody. I've started clenching and unclenching my toes and fingers, and my heart-rate has increased. I have 5 physics problems to do, yet I feel like it's hours of work.
|

replied May 15th, 2010
Hi, things are spiraling out of control for you. This happened to me after the birth of my third child in Sept. I also run my own business and it started to fail because of my high stress levels and my inability to get it together. I'm a perfectionist and I think that my personality only makes this worse. I was getting dizzy, stressed, etc...things all started going wrong on me. Chronic headaches, left arm/leg pain, brain fog, anxiety, insomnia, my mitral valve prolapse was acting up (palpitations)..the list goes on....the stress of how I was going to handle my baby and other children in addition to my business was overwhelming. And it all started when my jaw got messed up again after having dental work prior to the pregnancy which acted up my tmj..then right after the baby I had to have my wisdom teeth out. All this caused mechanical problems and more emotional stress! This time I didn't just have jaw pain but I had the neurological symptoms. This on top of my new stressors made it spiral. Please don't end up like me, take control of your stress. If you need to, see a counselor. No doubt the clenching is making your trouble so much worse. I am trying a bite guard right now to stop my night time clenching. Only in the first week and it's not going well. BUT, I let this problem go on for way to long. If this is just starting for you I would advise going to a dentist and getting a professional splint made. The OTC ones caused me more pain. And I would consider lightening your work load at school and talking to your professors. Sleep deprivation can (and will) only make things worse. Initially I found taking Tylenol (just the regular) helped me to sleep and my dr. okayed this. I do believe that you can literally "worry yourself sick"...so try to take deep breaths and relax. I know it's hard...OH, and cut out the caffiene and watch your posture..Good luck...
|