Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ Dizziness and Bruxism

I am suffering from a feeling of severe disorientation/dizziness due to my TMJ and bruxing my teeth together at night. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can stop bruxing my teeth and or ways to help the dizziness.

Please help. Does anyone else suffer with the same thing? how do you cope?

Many thanks for reading this.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Hi
Yes been feeling the same way for a few weeks now. Here are a few suggestions. First see a chiropractor, you may have a bone misaligned in your neck which could be putting pressure on your nerves. Also see a Neuromuscular dentist. They will be able to assess your bite and tell you if you need a mouthgard,which will force you to not clench or grind your teeth. Your jaw bone may also have come out of place which can cause dizziness.
Secondly find a massage therapist in your area that specializes in cranio facial massage. This will release any tension and pressure in your face, neck and jaw.

Hope this helps.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
TMJ
Find a Rolpher/Structural Intergration in your area. It is physical work, like massage, but works with the fasca that covers all your musells. (God I can't spell-too tired). It will losen that area for years and years. Not a cure, but the same money as massage, but far, far longer ($125 a session). Google the Rolph Insistiute in Colorado Spring Co for a referral near you. (I've had it done-it helped at least 50%)
|

replied May 16th, 2009
TMJ
I have axactly the same problem. I have TMJ, Bruxism and am getting more and more dizzy. The more dizzy I get the more stressed and axious I get. I find massage on the area helps relieve the dizziness but only mildly. I have been looking for solutons. I thought of a TMJ heat wrap. Not an ice wrap as ice will make it worse just like cold air gives an ear ache for people with TMJ. Intra Muscular Stimulation helps to relieve muscle tension by getting the muscles to release BUT if we keep clenching up each night it will keep building back up.

I just found something which looks really promising. I am going to give it a go when I can afford which is probably not for a couple months but it makes a lot of sense as it is exactly what I thought someone should invent as I believed it would work. Its a biofeedback device that tells your brain when you clench and the brain learns to undo the habbit. Like I said I thought someone should invent something like this and I have a lot of experience in bio and neurofeedback. Good luck!
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Also
Yes also chiro is good for tension in the jaw. When posture is off and the head is slanted forward you get tension in the back of the head (two points where the kneck muscles connect to the head) and this tension refers directly to the jaw. Getting manipulation will correct posture.
|
Tags: TMJ, dizziness
Quick Reply