Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

TMJ and weakness in arm and leg ?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am a 23 year old male and about a year ago I started to feel very dizzy and unwell and I knew something wasn't right. I then started to have eye floaters, tingling in face, feet fingers, fatigue and more. Also in this day I felt unwell I had discovered like a clicking noise in my head when turning my head side to side (especially on the left). One day a weakness sensation came on out the blue which only affected my left arm and leg. I noticed as well that my left arm got tired very easily.

I got referred to a Neurologist and had an MRI scan of the head neck and cervical spine. The results showed no abnormalities (No tumor or MS he said).

After reading about my symptoms (especially the clicking) I discovered I may have a TMJ disorder. I went to the dentist and has diagnosed me with this as my jaw now cracks and pops. I have a bite plate and now in the process of being referred to oral surgery.

However, even though over time, my weakness and burning sensation in left arm and leg and foot has got a little better over time, it is still there. Could this have anything to do with my jaw? It seems a bit strange that my jaw is worse on the left hand side and that's where my weakeness is. Could this have anything to do with this at all?

As well as the weakness, I still have eye floaters and major fatigue. I suppose the main thing is that the MRI came back normal.

Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Lyme disease fits all of your symptoms. Even the TMJ. Lyme disease causes TMJ. Tests for lyme disease are not accurate and diagnosis is based on a clinical exam. Please find a lyme literate doctor.
|

replied January 21st, 2012
Lyme disease is a tick-born infection...
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Lymes disease fits all of these symtoms. Even the TMJ. Test for lyme disease arn't alway accurate. Lyme disease is diagnosed on a clincal diagnoses. Please see a lyme literate doctor as soon as possible.
|

replied May 14th, 2010
I have left arm and leg weakness too. Going to PT, that's helped. fyi - it's my left jaw joint that is super tight. Also have other symptoms you describe. Currently being treated for tmj...let me know what you find out.
|

replied December 18th, 2010
Experienced User
@Bwhite87,
I have TMD and your symptoms are some of my many symptoms of TMD.
|

me too..
I have TMJ and also have your symptoms. It's been about a year now when it started with numbness in the face, etc..I've been going to PT for a while now and it does help. It is also my left leg and left arm. I fatigue easily and have dizzy spells. I definately have neck issues. I've had two mouthgaurds and neither helped, made things worse. I am now trying a low dose nortriptyline and that has slightly helped with some of the symptoms (eye twitches, foggy head)...the last couple of days I've been having a tingling in my lower lip when I open my jaw. Let me know what works for you.
|

Experienced User
TMJ sucks
Yes, I also fatigue so easily due to my pain and anxiety, had dizzy spells also. Many times my facial muscles and temples are so tired. In addition to sometimes weakness on my left side, at times I feel this weird cold chill feeling on my left brain down to my chest and to my left thigh. I had so many many more symptoms, my symptoms change all the time.

This disease is very depressing. I had been crying a lot due to my suffering. I have not been working, feeling so sick and tired. I take ativan when I have anxiety attacks and when I cannot take my suffering anymore. I'm going to be seeing my dentist on Monday and want to start seeing my Psychologist again and PT. I have a tight pull on my left face that went away a few times but most of the time it is there.
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Has anyone gotten better since the last posts?3
|

replied November 22nd, 2012
Hi I'm just coming across this post because I just left my dentist and told me about treatment options for neurological disorders associate with TMJ. He just went on a course in the states and learnt these techniques. Go on youtube and check out Dr. Brendan Stack and watch the videos. Talk to your dentists and see what they have to say about it. Just a thought Smile
|