Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ and IBS

Hey guys,
New to this forum but I'm seeking some help.

So I was diagnosed by my dentist with TMJ. He said I had an extremely bad case. I've done tests for sleep disorders and what not.
I'm starting my treatment next week with a night and day mouthguard, followed by orthodontics and hopefully that should resolve my TMJ case.

My question is , since the past week, I have had IBS symptoms. I went to the doc, and she said it's too early to confirm and to come back in two weeks. I want to know if anyone thins there is a correlation between TMJ and IBS. SInce TMJ affects the nerves, I wouldn't seem all that surprised if that is indeed the case. Couple weeks ago, I went through an episode of tingly fingers and digestive problems with the sensation of food being stuck in the throat. I'm worried because I find IBS to be a really annoyance.

I'm hoping for some good news, can someone please enlighten me :)

Thanks guys!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper joebuilder
|

replied April 4th, 2012
I am going to get MRI for my TMJ its very bad cant sleep cant eat I feel like I lost 10 lbs in 1 week from not eating and I also get tingly hands but I am a nail bitter so don't know if its from TMJ but the bowel movement sound and feel crazy and not just this week because I did not eat much so I expect my stomach to act crazy but on normal days it gets loud and I do have some symptoms of IBS so I will ask oral doctor about this but could be a month till I see him
|

replied April 4th, 2012
IBS or other stomach issues and finger tingling are known TMJ issues. Various theories exist, the main being that muscle spasms in the next press against the vagus nerve for stomach issues and against the brachial plexus for finger tingling.
|