Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

tmd???

Recently I have started having a tingling sensation on the left side of my face initially it started with a dull ache in front of my ear, then the tingling started in my lower mandible and even in the left sinus area, I am wondering if it is TMD related? (The sensation and discomfort is not constant) I had a ct scan done that revealed no sinus infection. I have been given a referral to a neurologist, but just curious what you guys think may be going on.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile kerouac
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2012
are you prone to clenching your jaw and/or grinding your teeth when you sleep? would you say your mouth is narrow or wide? does it hurt more when you chew, yawn, laugh/smile, etc? your symptoms seem to fall w/in the bounds of TMD/TMJ for sure. very good that the ct scan was clear. further investigation is wise. i hope you find an easy fix. those i have known w/ TMD have gone through flareups mixed w/ long periods of relief.
|
Users who thank kerouac for this post: dmr81 

I'm a clincher for sure, the tingling was pretty intense last night so I visited the er (on a mil base) and the said it was Bells Palsy.... but I have not facial parylis, or any symptoms associated with bells palsy... I completely disagreed with the er doc... So off to the neurologist I go! I did mention the thought of tmd and he looked at me like I was nuts, I work in the dental felid so I am fimular with tmd... I found this site and found so many others with the same symptoms and it was a relief.
|

User Profile
your ideas seem sound to me. bells palsy is pretty distinctive symptomatically and it doesn't sound like what you are dealing w/ at all. you're doing precisely what you should when uncomfortable w/ a diagnosis; moving onward for more insight. nice move! i hope you check back in after you appt. w/ the neurologist and update w/ what was discovered. that would be helpful to other users for sure.
my best wishes for the rapid dissipation of your symptoms and full recovery!
and try to be mindful of when you are clenching. see if you can channel that pent-up stress elsewhere perhaps? or smile!!
|