Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Tiny movable lump under chin...

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi, I'm an 18 year old female and I recently (a few weeks ago) noticed a small (maybe bb sized, 1 cm?) lump which is movable under my chin, above my throat. I do not have any of the other symptoms like weight loss, night sweats, itching, or loss of appetite-- but of course, I am nervous. My father got Hodgkin's Disease when he was in his fifties. I went to the doctor and he did not seem too concerned-- told me not to worry about it but if it grows to come back and see him. He could tell I was nervous and he said I could take some antibiotics (Augentin) for 10 days to see if it goes away. It is day 6 and it hasn't gotten any bigger, but it hasn't gone away.

I want it biopsied.

Is there anything else this could be?

Also, I get tiny red dots (not raised) on my skin during my daily 5 mile runs and when I lift weights. They go away after I relax, but I don't know what that is.

Could it be related?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2011
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am really glad to help you out. The few important causes of the lump under the chin which need to be looked into are swelling due to enlargement of the one of the salivary glands. This can occur due to an acute infection in the gland and can be associated with a stone in the duct of the gland causing the swelling. However, it is a painful condition.

Another possibility is a sebaceous cyst. In this, the sebum (oily secretion) from the sebaceous glands can get trapped and result in the formation of a cyst. This is usually painless and may require surgical removal, if it causes any discomfort or is unsightly.

A biopsy of the swelling maybe required as it can also result from a swollen lymph node. It is very difficult to diagnose online without doing a physical examination. Hence, I’ll suggest you to consult a physician for the same. I sincerely hope it helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.