Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Tiny holes in shirts where belly button is (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
i am so frustrated. i am constantly buying new tops/shirts because i find tiny little holes right around the area where my belly button is. my belly button seems fine, just an occasional strange smell at times, but no discharge or pus. at first i thought they were moths in my closet, but had that checked and no problem. some mornings i'll wear a new shirt and by the end of the day it'll have some tiny holes just developing. can't seem to figure out why and why they're only near my belly button. anyone with similar problems please advise.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper patmac
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Could you be leaning on something that would cause this? Maybe a rough area or something like that? Leaning against a counter (many of them are belly button height). Maybe a belt or the top of your pants wearing on your shirts or poking holes in them? Even a seat belt rubbing may cause it.

Chemicals can also make holes in fabric. Like bleach, battery acid, etc.

I don't think it's something coming from your belly button. Also, moths would eat holes everywhere, not just at the belly button area. Plus, they usually don't eat anything but wool, I don't think.

Check on some of these non-medical possibilities. Be aware of where you lean and what is rubbing on your shirt. If it still happens, write back. Good luck.
|

replied October 15th, 2012
Have had this problem for 30 years...after my first baby. Have finally determined on my own Smile hormones...isn't that the answer for all?
|

replied June 8th, 2013
I have the same problem as do about 5 other women friends. Our holes are only at the belly button level. The holes may form after one wearing. Heavy cotton shirts and light cotton. We've discussed countertop bleaches etc but thought we would then see bleach marks on our shirts. We have talked about belts and zippers. I think unlikely for me. I hadn't thought about my seatbelt. That is very possible.

We have also wondered about belly button mites. I believe my belly button is clean but I did clean my belly button with peroxide. not really sure whether that helped since I had not bought a new shirt. Probably 90% of my t-shirts have holes at this level. I have had to throw several away since so many holes.
|

replied December 20th, 2013
I discovered the cause of the tiny holes in some of my shirts is there is something in the marble that my kitchen counters are made of. It only affects some of my shirts mainly the ones made from jersey material. One day I noticed the holes appeared after leaning on my kitchen counter for an extended period of time. So I decided to put it to a test just to make sure. I twisted my shirt to the side and leaned on my counter for about 5 minutes and there it was.......some tiny holes started to appear. In my case I think there is some type of chemical coating that was used to seal my marble counters that is eating the material. If you have marble counters try this test. You might have the same problem.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Little holes in shirts around belly button.
OMG!! I thought I was going crazy!! I just sat down this morning to research the very same problem...Have you had any responses that you hadn't considered yourself? I thought of moths (LOL) then I read up on Belly Button secretions eminating stomach acid, I am truly stumped!! But you are not alone...
|

replied September 15th, 2011
tiny holes in shirt near bellybutton
I have the same exact problem but I think I have solved it!!

I had a Mercedes lease for 2 years- never had this problem before until I had that car. After a year of ruining every single shirt I own, I realized it was the seatbelt. I bought a big sheepskin thing to put across the belly and it solved the problem. I got rid of that car, went one year with a VW and had not one hole. I just bought another Mercedes, forgetting all about the shirt problems- and guess what? I've had the car 3 months and am starting to see those dang holes come back! Aaargh! I've already ruined 3 more shirts!
|

replied October 6th, 2011
I just sat down to research this, completely unaware that so many other people are having the same problem. I just did a test on an already ruined top (turned around where no holes are showing in front) based on theories I've been reading on here...I got identical results by leaning against my kitchen counter as if I was cleaning/cooking. The area that rests between the button of my jeans and my countertop immediately got a hole. I knew it had to be something that would produce holes very quickly as I've only been wearing this shirt for 2 hours for the very first time. When I put it on there were no holes. I read where other people noticed the problem would start after moving (my situation as well). We moved from a home with smooth edged laminate countertops to tile countertops. I'd NEVER noticed this problem prior to moving here.
|

replied September 4th, 2009
Me too! Same place, all the shirts are thin. I've tried to think bugs too but why would they just chew on a certain area? I thought maybe the seat belt but not. A counter might be possible but this was going on at my previous residence. I'm stumped Sad
|

I had a thought. Do any of you wear your keys around your neck on a lanyard? I do, and I am one of the "stumped" ones...I'm still trying to figure it out!! Any more thought anyone?
|

Good try Trix but I don't. I can't figure it out for the life of me and I can't afford to keep buying new shirts. I just bought like 4 shirts and now they all have holes. It seems to happen more with material that is thin. I'm still stumped too Sad
|

replied June 6th, 2011
I am still trying to figure this awful thing out! I keep buying new tops and the holes appear shortly after.
Not my husbands shirts just mine. Some are hanging and some are folded but it's happens on all of them. I don't wear belts or tuck in my tops. It can't be from seatbelts because I wear a coat/jacket in the Fall & Winter. We are very clean people so why is this happening?
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Tiny Holes
My two girlfriends and I live in Florida and have the same problem. What is it. I don't wear belts or have long necklaces or rub up against anything???
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Okay, I know. It's bugs and they are living in your dresser. You've got to take all the cloths out, wash them. Take all the drawers out and vacuum the hell out of all the nooks inside and out. If you take a flashlight and take a look you might see dust balls and such. Those harbor larvae. The reason the holes always seem to appear on the front is because we all fold our shirts the same way. Trust me, I just cleaned everything out and they were probably living in my dresser for a long time. Oh, also, after cleaning everything out put cedar chip bags in, leave them for a bit then put them in the drawers with your now clean cloths. You can get the chips at stores like Lowe's in the packing/plastic packing tub section.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
No...it's not bugs. I have had the same problem for the past few months. I've ruined 4 t-shirts and one expensive (thin) cashmere sweater. My t-shirts were hung up on hangers and the sweater was folded on a shelf. These holes are exactly where my waist bumps against my smooth granite countertops and where my jeans button at the top. I don't think it's my seatbelt since I've driven the same car for the last six years without anything like this happening. I don't use bleach or other chemicals on my countertops, so I'm wondering if it's the material on my jeans (you know that little corner of material that never lies flat?) pushing out against the countertops.... stumped too...
|

replied August 15th, 2011
little holes in front of shirts
I completely agree. It is not bugs. I thought about doing the very same thing. Cleaning out everything, steam clean carpet etc., etc., you name it. Then after logically thinking about the situation and evaulating the holes are in the front only. The thin shirts are attacked quickly and I have a real nice Chico shirt not t-shirt material that finally started getting little holes. I thought also it was about rubbing against my granite counter top, so I wore an apron, didn't help. I now truly feel it is my jeans. Where they button it is, is not smooth. Between that and the metal button. When I can have a different fit with jeans it will be nice to see if that does the trick. I have to say I'm so glad I'm not alone here. I've been afraid to tell my husband what's been going through my mind about this.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
I thought of bugs too, but this is happening to shirts that are in both the dresser and the closet and only to my shirts, not my husbands! I am baffled!!
|

replied October 6th, 2012
Closet BUGS!!
I've had this issue too. I do tuck in some of my shirts and other I don't and it happens to all of them. queenbleo is correct! I just cleaned out all of my closet and found bugs eating away and my clothes and shoes! I came to research what they were and came across this. I know I'm 2-3 years late, but I figured for anyone reading this after y'all should clean out your closet and dressers and vacuum the crap out of it. They are attracted to sweat, dried pee, poo stains (if you have dogs you know what this is like) and in my guy cousins floor they are all over so I'm thinking dried cum as well (EWWW!) Luckily I found it early and there weren't billions of bugs, but you really need to look at this!
|

replied September 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Do you have a pair of jeans with copper top-button? the patina from corroding copper is acidic and could easily eat through your shirt.
|

replied August 15th, 2011
Yes I do. That is definitely working evaulating. Thanks
|

no, it's bugs. Thanks though.
|

replied May 10th, 2011
It's definitely NOT bugs. Bug holes would be all over the shirts, not in the same spot on every shirt!
try again!!
|

replied October 20th, 2011
Could be bugs, my theory is that i lean against the kitchen counter and food or grease, or even dishwater gets onto the shirt...bugs and their larvae will be drawn to this area later.

Or, I do also see the slight discoloration on the shirt before the holes appear. So maybe the seat belt is rubbing in a weird way and causing this problem.

I never had this problem before i had kids, or the car i drive now. So maybe the weight and the seatbelt is causing it. This is driving me crazy, that a bunch of really smart people can't figure this out.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
Holey Shirts!
My husband just asked me for the tenth time what was causing all the little holes in his shirts and since I really don't know I decided to finally look it up and found that we are not alone! We may still have holes in our shirts, and may still not know why, but I take comfort knowing that others struggle with this as well....
|

if ur belly button is giving off a weird smell at times no matter how rarely make sure u don't have some sort of umbilical hernia... these can go unnoticed until really stinky stuff appears... sweat gathers up in the belly button and if there is the smallest hole through which secretions can seep through then it is possible over time it may tear up a tiny hole... bugs also can be attracted to the area because of the dead skin and sweat which they can feast on while hatching larvae... someone also mentioned metallic buttons which is true as well... some people's acidic skin reacts with the copper or any metal as a matter of fact both irritating the skin or thinning non synthetic materials such as cotton... but once again just to be on the safe side have a doctor check u for the possibility of an umbilical hernia in case u do have one developing
|

I had this problem too. but i just found out it was because i was leaning against counters and sometimes my belt irritated the material.
|

Maybe it is bugs, but....?
I'm so glad I googled this. I thought I was the only one. I just searched through several threads on several sites. here are some consistencies: It seems to only happen to females' shirts, and only cotton shirts. The theroy of the bugs in the dresser doesn't fly with me, because all my shirts are hanging in my closet. It happens to new shirts as well as old, it doesn't happen to ANY of my husbands stuff that is kept in the same closet, I don't often wear a belt, don't have a belly ring, and it happens with shirts I've only worn with skirts that have no botton/zipper anything in the front.

Mine also sometimes have a color difference around the holey area. Like it got a little bit of bleach on it. Anyone find this also?

So now its even more of a mystery to me. I'm believiing the bugs attracted to some kind of smell on my clothes (Which is SO digusting!)- but all the shirts hanging have been washed. ????? OR another theory on another site is that seatbelts are doing it. Maybe?
|

replied June 6th, 2011
Holes in my tops
Have you found a solution to this problem? I have had this same thing happening for a few years and it is so disgusting! And everything that you mentioned is the same, it's only my tops, not my husbands, some are hanging and some are folded, I very seldom wear belts. And as far as seatbelts, in the winter I wear a coat over my top so I know that is NOT the problem! I live in the Mid West and it happens all year long.
I am totally baffled!!!
|

replied June 24th, 2011
Losing my mind with these holes!
Until recently, I maintained an apartment in the midwest for week/workdays and one in New England with my boyfriend and would fly back and forth. Two months ago I moved into my New England apartment full time. Since then, I have had the same thing happen - mysteriously tiny little holes appear in relatively the same spot - along the belt-line close to the center of the shirt. We have tried to think of anything that I would be using more consistently now that I'm here full time, but other than the stove, we've come up short. Like so many of these posts, it's just my tops, his stuff is fine. Some of the tops get hung and others are in bins. I have examined every surface I can think of that would rub against my shirt - the granite countertops, the underside of the table, desk at home, desk at work, the stove... I'm completely baffled! The first shrit was brand new,(as was the 2nd) I wore it out of the bag and that night after dinner noticed the holes. I had a tank/cami on underneath which was fine, so I figured it must be something I rubbed up against that caught the material. Another one was over a year old, I put it on in the morning, went to church and saw the holes while I was in the pew. Today, it was the tank/cami under my shirt that got the holes, but my actual shirt is fine - I've been wearing both tops all day and didn't notice any issues this morning, and now all of sudden - holes!
All of the shirts have been thinner flimsy material, but other than that and the similar location and type of hole, I haven't been able to find any consistencies... different pants each time, different jackets if any, no belts, no jewelry on any of the incidents, sometimes in the office, sometimes home office, sometimes using the stove/oven, sometimes haven't gone near it all day. I love my clothes, especially brand new - help!
|

replied September 9th, 2011
Holes in all my shirts including pj's!
Dudes! This is crazy! It is not bugs, not granite tops, not seat belts, not jeans or buttons rubbing. What the hell? I thought it was Old Navy shirts at first only but it is my pj tops, shirts from every retailer around my area. It is only in mine and not my hubbys...but, he doesnt wear think shirts like I do. Maybe it is this prewahsed soft cotton. Is it all coming from China and just too thin to handle laundry soap? I may just start hand washing any new ones I get and see what happens. This is a conundrum!
|

replied December 17th, 2011
holes in shirts
having the same problems in Australia, but finding holes in my childrens shirts, in all sorts of places, whereas mine are usually in the front. This has been a recent phenomenon only (last 3-4 years) - older shirts seem to be immune. Have just purchased a t-dress, which I wore once, then hand washed. When folding, I noticed a hole in the back, between the shoulder blades. It was only worn for a couple of hours, then hand washed... it's driving me crazy. I'm beginning to believe that there is a problem with the fabric which is being made in China, then distributed internationally. Cheap fabric (always the soft cotton) is probably created on less than perfect looms. I think we should return our "faulty" goods to the place of purchase (especially from the big chains), because their "buyers" can then follow this up with the manufacturers ...
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Wow, this is weird, I thought I was the only one. I am also in Australia (like the post before me), a guy, and I have had these tiny holes appearing in T-shirts, polo shirts and thin sweaters. Basically, garments with a looser weave or stitch than, collared business shirts, all of which are fine.

It's usually only one hole, bang in the centre. I thought maybe it's the washing machine but they still appear since I've changed (both front-loading models).

I don't wear T-shirts in the car (and I don't drive much) and I don't tuck them into my trousers, so I am convinced it is from my belts (the 'spike' in the buckle that goes through the belt holes) or from my jeans.

Like others posting, the holes can appear very quickly indeed and I think every T-shirt I own now has these damn holes in them! But it certainly isn't bugs as it's in the same place, usually just one hole and only in T-shirts, polos and sweaters.

What an interesting, worldwide conundrum!
|

replied July 15th, 2012
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with holes in my thin tee shirts. The more expensive they are, they are not immune to holes. I thought it might have had something to do with the snap or closure on my jeans or the zipper at some point. I don't think so, I think it's cheap fabric but sold in Michael Stars, Vince, Splendid, and any of the expensive brands. I would like to petition to send them back to the manufacturers who are making a hugh profit at the expensse of the buyer. It's true, I bought them and they look good. They just don't stand up to hand washing in cold water with good laundry soap etc. You don't get what you paid for.
|

replied September 13th, 2012
Identical holes in piles of cotton shirts!
Thank God I goggled this! This has been driving me crazy for at least a year or longer. I have a basket full of cotton shirts all with holes in almost the exact spot. I have been blaming my dog who does jump on me and thought the small holes were from her!
I wore a gap thin tissue like top yesterday and couldn't believe it didn't have a hole until I finished cleaning up after dinner and low and behold three holes just below my waist! I am now convinced that leaning against my counters while cleaning up is the culprit. There is no doubt in mind that the cotton being used is inferior and just a little rub on something, counter top, seat belt...whatever breaks the threads and causes the holes! I have a pile of gap, talbots, chico's and even the expense spendid ones have holes!! I'm sick over it but we all must be conscious effort not to lean on anything! I really am thinking about boxing them up and sending to the manufacturer something is not right here.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
Eaglespeaks
I think you nailed it. It must be the quality of the fabric, which can not handle the rubbing of anything.
The top of jeans, counters or seatbelts have not changed throughout all these years.
It may take a petition to the manufacturers to look into it.
Between all of us can you imagine how much money is wasted?
Definitely not a health issue.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
I'm from Australia & lo & behold same thing is happening to me too!!!! It's so annoying as well. I've also cleaned draws but still happening,I believe as a few have said the fabric is thin rubbing against something . I'm stumped also why then is it not happening to the mens tops except for a minority few? my husbands NOTHING AT ALL & all fabrics do come from Overseas . The only conclusion is the way its been knitted with all short cotton threads That also creates piling on knits. That's the only thing I can think of. It was just yesterday talking to friends & all have diff versions . We need some one with expertise Is there some one out there H E L P!!!
|

replied April 9th, 2012
My daughter suggested I google this as I've been having the same problem for the last 3-4yrs. I'm @ my wits end as in this time I've gone thru at least 100 tops. Many worn only 1-3 times. Even @ sale prices this gets very expensive not to mention the total frustration. I've been paying closer attention of late & have determined that it has several causes. Rubbing on something is the common root cause. If my shirt rubs on or is being rubbed by any of the following it seems to happen: untucked shirt rubbing on top corner edge of "closure tab" and/or on button/metal closure: seat belts: counter tops: metal zippers of coats w/out storm flaps: and belt buckles. It even happens if my shirts are tucked in because of the small amount of slack that allows shirt to even barely hang over top edge of jeans waistband & rub on the top corner above button.I too try to remember to pull shirt out from under seat belt, but even that doesn't always work. If I catch it early the material will have an area that gets rubbed shiny before it creates holes. Will keep looking for solution.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
holes in Tshirts
I too am in Australia and have been battling with this for the past few years. I have lost count as to how many shirts I have thrown away. I am different from most because it happens to my husbands tshirts as well. I have emptied draws, sprayed them, tried everything to stop this. We both get them in the exact same spot. He says bugs are not that smart.I am thinking the seatbelt thing as we both drive the same car.It's great to see we are not on our own, but I wish there was a definate answer.
|

replied May 20th, 2012
I'm in Texas and dealing with the same issue. All thin t-shirts and all with tiny holes around the belly. I was floored when I decided to research this last night and found out it was a worldwide phenomenon! One piece of the puzzle in my situation is that my t-shirts hang on the lower rack in my closet, closest to the floor. My husband does not get these holes and his shirts hang higher. Also, I read on another forum that it could be a small bug called a "silverfish" which I have seen in our bathrooms. They like moist, humid environments and cotton. My closet is connected to the master bathroom so it can definitely get humid in there. These holes do not occur on my children's clothes....their closets are nowhere near bathrooms. This is nuts!
|

replied June 8th, 2012
Re: Multiple, small holes in the lower front of my shirts
Jetset10,

Thank you for your insight. I like to say that my paranoia is (usually) based on reality, and I, too, believe that the machines weaving the fabrics in China are deliberately causing these tiny holes to appear on the fronts of my (and your) cotton, rayon and modal T-shirts and more expensive shirts, marketed by Lucky Brand and Liz Clayborne.

I live in Santa Rosa, CA, (which I love!) and I've been bothered by the problem for about three years now. We did get a new Prius in 2007, but the seat belts sit way below the problem (navel) area.

"Modal" is cellulose coming from trees, which makes the newer clothing very soft. However, some of my affected shirts- at least 10!- include rayon, polyester, modal and/or cotton in some combination.

My furniture drawers are clean. Neither my lingerie nor, so far, other items of clothing or linens, have been affected- yet. Just the shirts and tops.

I've thought about this a lot, and believe, even more strongly, that it's primarily being caused by "faulty" Chinese looms, coupled with the poor quality of the newer fabrics, especially modal.
|

I have been having this problem for a couple of years now. I called our pest control company asking them about this. They said it wasn't bug. Moths, FYI the hole would be larger, and usually it is just one hole. I have lost over 6 shirts. It happens to my most expensive shirts. It seems to happen to my shirts that area fine, expensive 100% cotton shirts. It's always at the waist line. It is so annoying, because when you have been saving up to buy a shirt that you expect will last you YEARS, because of the quality, wear it one time and there are multiple tiny holes at the belly button area. I did put a suede cover for my seat belt, seemed to help but bought a new vehicle and it happend again. I just put on a brand new shirt, I am not even sure if I have even gotten behind a car steering wheel. I was intrigued when you mentioned items from China. These shirts I have bought, were high end items, but I went and checked and they were ALL from CHINA. I have been alot more diligent thru the past months to not buy any more clothing or other items from China, due to the economy, and standing up to things like this to keep jobs in AMERICA. I will keep you all posted and let you know. I was surprisesd when I saw that alot of Eileen Fisher items were made in China, Title Nine, Michael Stars all made in China and of course we all know that now that Ralph Lauren has many of his lines from China. Clothing is expensive and has started to be an investment. We are hoping the pieces we buy to last us many years. Women call theses investment pieces. We pay more for them, but the thinking behind it is that, we do not mind paying more, because it will not go out of style for at least 20 years. And then to have these investment pieces to not even make a season. I use to be a label purchaser, based on their quality, not I will be watching, where the iten was made. I am buying all my clothes now "Made in America" and see how things work out. I am also going to hand wash my items from now on as well. I didn't realize so many other people were having the same problem. My husband doesn't have a problem at all. It seems to happen to my high end 100% cotton blouses, Dress T-shirts. Just for you information, I did check out my countertop, my jeans, belts - everything. Good luck to everyone out there with this. I know we all do not need to waste money and buy the same thing twice. Oh, I also did take it my drycleaner and they were stumped, they had never seen anything like this before. I will try the hand washing this coming weekend, and will try it for a couple of weeks. Lets all try something different and hopefully we can all work together and find a solution TOGETHER. Everyone have a great week
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

Holes forever. It started when I was pregnant and was allergic to the maternity stretchy material on the front of the pants. I had to wear one of my husband's cotton t-shirts (the tank top kind) and pull it down over my belly so that the pants did not touch my tummy. I put holes in all of David's t-shirts and I have had holes in my cotton shirts ever since. When it started my belly button was sticking out. I really think that something comes out of that area Smile Brad is 32 years old and I have bought a lot of shirts since then.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
It has happened to me as well and I couldn't figure out what it was. I tried washing all my tops separate from the jeans, checked for moths. I believe it is from the zipper on jeans rubbing against the shirts when leaning on something. I am on the heavier side so my belly potrudes more than your average size person. Leaning on something can make the zipper appear slightly and cause these tiny holes that are ALWAYS in the belly area. I guess my only solution is to lose weight.
|

replied October 1st, 2011
YOUR PANTS ARE TOO TIGHT, THUS THE ZIPPER IS TO BLAME
Ya know people. I am thinking this guy is right.

If you have GAINED a little weight ( or are bloated) and are wearing TOO TIGHT jeans or pants, the zipper part protrudes a bit. When you have a protruding zipper or zipper head, the metal rubs on the shirt against whatever, such as a seat beat, counters, under tables, or basically anything your body (specifically the belly region) touches.

**One example on how to tell if your pants don't fit, it is when your zipper won't stay up at the top.

Solution, buy bigger jeans. Or lose weight. Sad
|

replied October 8th, 2009
You are not alone.....
I can't believe others have this problem too! I am so mad that I am constantly throwing away new tops. It is to the point that I am only buying sweaters,thicker material tops or layering underneath with a thick tank to not destroy new tops. For me I think it is because my belly sticks out (2 c-sections) and the button or zipper is making the holes. I am going to try putting a piece of felt over it to see if it makes a difference. It is really driving me crazy!
|

replied October 9th, 2009
It was happening to me for about a year before I found out what it was. I wore a new top with jeans and was fine. I drove to a girlfriend's house which was 5 mins away and when I got out of the car I had a hole in another brand new top. For me it was the seatbelt rubbing the top against the button on my jeans. I know make sure I pull my top over the seatbelt (waistband part) and it no longer happens to me. Very expensive exercise until I figured out how to stop it!
|

replied October 15th, 2009
Hole in shirts
do any of you drive GM model cars? i used to drive a Buick and now a Chevy and they both have a little plastic circle on the lap belt exactly where my shirts fall....i figured out that was it...put a peice of tape over it and i have been hole free for a couple months now...!!!
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Holes in my NEW shirts!!
I JUST threw away 2 new tunic style tops that I love.One a cheapo from Target but one is nice from Kohls. They hang loosely. So no stress on fabric. I don't have rough edged counters. My belly button is dry as the Sahara! Oh and bugs would eat all over my shirts and my pants, and this is just a lower front of my shirt issue.Lol. I was so fed up and frustrated over expense of nice shirts getting ruined for years now, that I finally decided to Google! WOW..we are all quite the mystery! glance
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
tiny holes in the front of my t-shirts
I have had this frustrating problem with my thin t-shirt tops and thought that bugs were the problem. For the past week I have googled this subject and read many possible causes. I even spoke to a pest control specialist who has exterminated our home for 18 years and he said if the problem were caused by bugs, beetles or moths, the holes would be in random places, and they would also be getting into my husbands clothes as well, since we share the same closet.
I decided to do an experiment and discovered IT IS MY SEATBELT!!!! NOT bugs, my washing machine or God forbid stomach acid. I can't believe I didn't realize this before. I will be making a cover to go over the lap part of my seat belt to stop the constant rubbing. Until then, I will have to raise my shirt over the belt.
|

replied November 20th, 2009
I KNOW THE ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEMS!
I'm so glad you posted this question. I have had several shirts from Express. The same exact thing happened - even to a couple of thin cotton sweaters. It's the quality of the cotton. Most of the shirts are imported from Peru or Vietnam. It's a bunch of crap.

At first I thougth maybe it was a belt buckle or seatbelt in my car. But it's not. It happens when you wash your clothes. The foreign process of weaving the cotton is garbage. Try turning down the temperature of the water on your washing machine to cold or cold/cold. Express seems to be the only "brand" of clothing that happens to me - but like I said it was over a dozen different shirts/sweaters. I've even noticed it on the shoulders and backside of the items too. Hope this helps.

Ryan

PS - It's more than likely only occurring on dark-colored clothing or white, when a lot of dye is used. It breaks down the fibers.
|

replied May 21st, 2012
It would not be the quality of the cotton...because the holes are always in the same place. It happens on all colors of clothing.
|

replied September 2nd, 2012
Tiny little holes in shirts
It seems little tiny holes are appearing in all soft cotton type fabric. This has been going on for 4 years and everyone initially thought that it was their detergent, washing machine or that they pulled the fabric somehow. It turns out that it's defective fabric used to make these clothes.

After 4 years of throwing money away, I am starting to return all items or go back to the manufacturers to resolve these issues. Shirts made from this fabric last 2-6 months at max if worn a couple of times a month. I started to return all the shirts made from this defective fabric in the last few months. Neiman's, Nordstom, Gap, Barney's have all acknowledged this problem when I returned these shirts. Saks Fifth Ave still won't admit this problem exists and said they are looking into it and did not issue me a credit.

Bring it back to the retailer/manufacturer!!! They need to stop using this fabric!
|

replied September 8th, 2012
Holes in shirts!
I think you've got the answer! We definitely need to hold the manufacturers responsibility or this will go on forever! They are getting pretty rich on the sale of replacement shirt! LOL
|