Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Tiny bugs and accompanying bites...

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
Last week, I was horrified to find dozens and dozens of very very tiny little bugs crawling all over my bed and nightstand when I went to get into bed. I walked away without touching anything and slept on the sofa for two nights. I washed sheets and comforters twice, wiped down everything in my room, and thought that would take care of things. I slept on the sofa one more night and seeing few or no bugs, my bed the next night. Well, I'm not sure when after this, but I now have tiny little bites-looking bumps all over my legs, stomach, and a few on my arms. The bugs are still there, only a few on my walls or sheets that I promptly kill upon discovery, but I have no idea what they are. They are gnat-sized, wingless, dark brown or dark gray, and too small to count the legs of. I've heard that simple skin-irritations may be what is on my legs and such, but I want to be positive if they are related to the bugs or not. Help is GREATLY appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

By the description, it seems that you might have been bit by bed bugs.

You might benefit by icepacks and antihistamine medications (Benadryl) to control your symptoms.

In the mean time, steps to eradicate the house from bed bugs have to be taken.

1. Infested and infestation-prone bedding and garments will need to be bagged and laundered (120°F minimum) since these items cannot be treated with insecticides.

2. Another effective and efficient option is to place clothing, toys, shoes, backpacks, etc., in a clothes dryer set at medium to high heat for 10 to 20 minutes. This will kill all bed bug life stages and can be done alone or in conjunction with laundering.

3. Items which cannot be put in a washer or dryer can sometimes be de-infested by wrapping in plastic and placing them outdoors in a hot, sunny location, closed vehicle, etc. for at least a day.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.