Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Tinnitus and hearing Static

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Last year I started having problems with my left ear. It would sound like there was a lot of popping in it, then this whooshing sound for hours on end and then sometimes I would hear a "static" sound when there would be a loud noise. I went to the doctor because at first it was also hurting and there was a lot of pain on the left side of my neck. The Dr. said it was fluid behind the ear and he gave me an antibiotic and some stuff for sinus. A week later I went back and the doctor said something about the shape of the ear drum was not right, but he just gave me a nasal steroid spray and told me to take mucinex. I had to call back to get a prescription for ear drops for the pain. Another week later I went back and this time there was nothing. So, I was referred to an ENT. The ENT couldn't find anything wrong but felt like the pain in my neck was neck muscle tension. He gave me a muscle relaxer. The problem still didn't clear up so he ordered an MRI/MRA of my head and neck. That also showed nothing. I have a friend who has a brother-in-law who is an ENT so they got me to go to him. He did some further tests, but said he couldn't do anything about it, but to take three advil for 6 days in a row for any pain that would come up in the ear. I'm still having the sound whooshing sounds in my left ear and hearing static. Noone can seem to find a reason for what is going on. But I hear static in just that one ear quite a bit. I've even put a phone up to that ear when making a phone call and will hear static that goes along with the ringing of the phone! I have NO explanation for what is wrong and no way to stop it!! Can anyone help??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper audstud
|

replied July 4th, 2009
I have same problem but no answers, so frustrating!!!
|

replied January 16th, 2010
This is happening to me too. It's also in my left ear, and no one believes me when I tell them.
|

replied February 6th, 2010
Also have this problem. (Static in ear) .What should be done about it?
|

replied February 18th, 2010
me as well! what guys, this is bull... i went to ent, ear nose throat doc and he is like i see nothing wrong so he sends me to hospital thing for super crazy hearing tests. they tell me to repeat every word i hear and raise hand every beep i hear... then some other weird kinda painfull hearing test, then i get letter in the mail with the results. NOTHING. GOD FN DMNT! I know what u guys r going through. I will be in a car with my friends they blast the music im sitting here covering my right ear cuz all i hear is painful static, its like louder than whats acually playing which is part of whats so fn annoying about it. Ive thought maybe just 1 hearing aid might help cuz you can turn down the volume, however it is difficult to know when the static will show. if any body finds a soloution, other than walking around with an ear plug everywhere, im looking for answers.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
static sound when turning head
This is wierd...when I sit down at my desk then turn my head to the left (kind of leaning forward a bit), I hear a staticky sound in my right ear. When I look straight, the noise goes away. Anyone knows what this can be? I have been working an office job for 7 years which consists mainly of being a full-time receptionist...could all talking in the phone cause something to the ears?
|

replied May 1st, 2010
I would suggest possibly seeing a Doctor of Audiology. Hearing loss is most often associated with tinnitus even when you don't think it is there. Audiologists also perform specific tests that measure the compliance of your eardrum, as well as the reflex muscles in your middle ear.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
what causes the static in ears compared to rining
I also have the static noise in ear sometimes louder then other times,never rining just static like a tv station that has gone off the air, also alot of pressure when static is loudest. I just want to go some place and be alone in the quiet as all sounds seem to aggervate . I anyone like this
|

replied October 25th, 2011
static/ringing ear
i used to have ringing in my ears i still do sometimes and sometimes its a static/ringing noise and i been doing research like crazy for a year because i have no insurance to go to the doctor and i found out all sorts of stuff like...your main neck muscle on each side of your neck,it runs from behind the ear on the skull to the collor bone has some long name for it..in some cases its something wrong with it,like mine i can press behind the ear and put pressue on it on each side and press on the muscle that goes down my neck and it causes ringing and changes the pitch of it and...and sometimes when i yawn it gets louder..
|

replied October 25th, 2011
static/ringing ear
i used to have ringing in my ears i still do sometimes and sometimes its a static/ringing noise and i been doing research like crazy for a year because i have no insurance to go to the doctor and i found out all sorts of stuff like...your main neck muscle on each side of your neck,it runs from behind the ear on the skull to the collor bone has some long name for it..in some cases its something wrong with it,like mine i can press behind the ear and put pressue on it on each side and press on the muscle that goes down my neck and it causes ringing and changes the pitch of it and...and sometimes when i yawn it gets louder..
|

replied November 4th, 2011
You've all got tinnitus!
|

replied January 6th, 2012
Static in Left Ear
Does anyone hear static in their right ear? I hear static in my left ear also when there are loud noises. I went through the same process of the ENT, hearing test, and MRI. Nothing was determined at any of them. I can hear very well in both ears at all frequency ranges and low volumes, loud noises create a static.

I have not heard of anyone saying they have this in their right ear, this makes me curious if it is something neurological?
|

It also looks like many people have this in conjunction with TMJ. Is there anyone that hears this static that does not have TMJ?
|

I just recently found out I have TMJ, I have static and ringing in my ears. I also have neck pain, headaches. It can also cause shoulder pain and pain the the ears as well. . I found out because I had a lot of swelling in my face and neck, my glands were swollen. I went to the dentist thinking it was my wisdom tooth. It sounds like this may be what a lot of you have ..
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Sounds like you all tinnitus. From research I read it could be caused by a blood vessel going to the ear has diltated, called stenosis. Taking a few drops of Ginko Bilobo in each ear will help open up that vessel and allow more blood flow hopefully reducing the hissing in your ears. Another theory is from hearing loss. the cortex nerve to the brain, sends a single to the ear. This is done through nerons. They talk to each other. When the cortex is damged the nerons have no where to go so talk to each other. That is the noise in your ear you here. Good luck. Tinnitus in my few cannot be cured just managed.
|

replied February 27th, 2013
I have had ringing and or static in my right ear for 8 years but that wasn't always my only symptom, I had dizziness, pain, drainage, constant ear and sinus infections also what felt like pressure in my ear when bending, swimming or even speaking on the phone it felt like my ear drum would pulsate with the persons voice and what they where saying. When I was about 18 they found a white polyp in my ear and sent me to an ent, what he found was a cholesteatoma. A sack of built up dead cells caused by a weak eustachian tube which a part of the ears cleaning system, during surgery to remove this polyp the ent saw how massive the mass was and hoe destructive it had become. I had to have my ear bones reconstructed.a usual office visit or ct scan can verify this condition. as rare as this condition is once removed it usually doesn't come back unfortunately for me I'm going in for a third surgery. My advice is dont mess around with your ears my parents waited to long now I'm 25 facing perm hearing loss in the right ear and ongoing surgeries as I had previously mentioned. I'd rather be safe then sorry
|

replied October 20th, 2013
Tinnitus
I have static in my left ear it started just this year. I suffer from migraines. The static would come and go. I initially thought it was from wax build up but it returned after continual draining the ear. For the first time I had dizziness than the static returned even more so. I have been having added stress in my life with my jobs.I went to the ER they labeled the dizziness to vertigo. They did not mention the ringing.
|