Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Tingly numb feelings on face

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I have tingly numb pins and needles feelings on my face stronger on my lips and radiating out on my chin and over to my ears not as strong on my cheeks but I can feel it.I can feelit quite strong now on my chin bones. Does any one have an idea what it is??
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
Lindamh,

Numbness and tingling is a sign of a peripheral nerve being injured. The injury is usually due to compression of a nerve. It is unusual though, for this type of problem to affect just the lower half of the face on both sides. That would require nerves to be compressed on both sides of the face.

It is more usual to see numbness on one side of the face, in the dermatomal pattern of a peripheral nerve, such as the facial nerve or one of the cranial nerves.

However, it is quite common for a patient to have peri-oral (around the mouth) tingling in cases of hyperventilation. In hyperventilation, the mouth and the fingers often tingle or even go numb. When the patient returns to a normal breathing pattern, the tingling goes away.

But, if the tingling persists, the numbness gets worse, or you develop problems moving the lips, you should probably have that looked at. A neurologist would probably the best doctor to see for this.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply