Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

tingling in arms and hands

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I mostly get tingling in arms and hands. The tingling is also in my legs sometimes.
When i go to bed and it doesn't matter what positon i'm in the tingling throbing feeling in hands and arms wakes me up. Sometimes i wake up with my hands swolllen and can't close or open them. It happens during the day also. I can't hold the phone and talk on it for long because my hands get tingly and start to hurt after just 5 minutes (just one exapmle). If i hold something under my armpits like a purse or something like that just holding it but putting preasure on it so i don't drop it my arms and hands get a tingly throbing feeling in them and sometimes a shooting pain. i can actually feel the tingling start from my upper arm and work it's way down to my hands. anybody have any suggestions. Also, my upper back feels hot if i lean it up against something kinda like i have a heating pad on it but it is not hot to the touch. Thank you for any suggestions.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2009
Right hand thumb, pointing,middle and ring finger!
Hi, I have numbness and severe pain on the above fingers and it started mildly a year ago and now its daily. I currently take 2400 mg a day of which only helps sometimes. They did another MRI last week sitting down and I have severe cevical and lumber spine problems. Maybe yours is spine related also, you should she a doctor. I'm here if you have any further questions. Good Luck!
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2009
Hi there! I am 36 and have been experiencing this for 3 weeks now...and like you, mine all started one morning after i woke up with my hands swollen to twice their size accompanied by red, itchy palms. After the swelling went down, 2 days later i had the tingling in my hands and feet. Especially in my feet when i am driving! Now, since early this week, i've been getting the tingling all the way into my shoulder! (Right arm) It almsot feels as if it's starting there and radiating down. My fingers often time hurt to grip anything for an extended period. I wake up feeling like i have arthritis b/c my fingers are stiff and sore & my hand hurts. Certain sleeping positions bother my shoulder...i get sharp pains. I saw an internist when all this 1st began, i just went to him a few days ago for my follow up visit. since my symptoms have not gone away, he made an appt. for me to see a neurologist. I am scheduled to have an EMG (electro magnetic-graph) to determine if my nerves are being compressed. Doc thought initally it was carpal tunnel, but i don't do anything repetitive, and never had any tingly sensations or symptoms of Carpal until after the hand swelling episode. Also kind of wierd that i would be getting it in BOTH my hands, arm, and rt. foot. (Now my shoulder). I'm wondering if i have a trapped nerve or nerves in my shoulder. It seems to get worse with every passing day...especially the more i use my arm. What sucks is the arm that is affected is the arm i use the most! Does any of my symptoms sound similar to yours?
|

replied August 18th, 2009
My first time to forum anything. I stumbled into this website as I was searching tingling in arms. I have a similar experience. It comes and goes depending on position. Right now as I sit to type and do any computer work the tingling starts at the upper arm and shoots all the way down to my fingers. It is a cool pin prickly feeling like when your leg or arm would fall to sleep. It also happens when I sleep so I try to keep my arm from not flexing. It drives me crazy. I am seriously thinking it is a pinched nerve and think I will try to go get chiropractic care before heading to the doctor. I am not sure what else to think about it.
|

replied September 5th, 2009
Well, here is my weird body actions, among many. Since a few days ago, when I woke up with a slightly numb left leg, now when I stroke my outer left shin, my left HEEL TINGLES! Not when i walk, or do any other action. Only when I rub my hand against my left shin, outer edge, this happens. It is not painful, but the fact it so mild and unexplainable is driving me nuts! Male, 33. I dont believe Ive ever had anything like this before, where a trigger for a feeling in one body part originates in another... But for sure I know that it happened after waking up and noticing my left leg was sorta weird. My leg felt fine minutes later, but now this sporadic heel tingle occurs. Any ideas, or any similar events? Thanks!
|

replied November 29th, 2010
Me too
For six months now if I brush my right shin my LEFT heel tingles. And now for a week, anytime I'm walking I get an intermittent sensation that something light is being dropped on my left big toe. If this second weirdness stays around I'll talk to someone. In the meantime I'm chalking it up to being in my 30's. I just don't recall anyone saying that this is something that happens as we get older . . .
|