Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Tingling in arms and fingers when I urinate. (Page 1)

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
It seems to only happen if I have to hold on a while before I can empty my bladder.
It happens 2 or 3 times a week. About 30 seconds after I am finished it goes away. It starts on the top inside of my arm and goes down to my fingers. It is a real strong sensation but it does go away shortly.

I have had this for 3 or 4 years. I have had a hysterectomy and a bladder lift and have never had any problems with either. I am in my 60's with basically good health.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper steelygirl
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I can't see some logical relation between urination and tingling sensations in your arms and hands.
These tingling sensations are known as parasthesia (abnormal sensation on the skin that has no apparent physical cause).
Paresthesia can be due to different causes and conditions.
First, it could be due to remaining in the same seated or standing position for a long time.
Lack of blood supply to the area, pressure on the spinal nerve due to herniated disc, hypothyroidism, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, vitamins deficiency, side effects of drugs, and others conditions, are all possible causes.

See your physician!
This could be something harmless or it can be a sign of something that needs medical attention.
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied February 27th, 2012
UTI or Bladder Infections related to tingling arms?
I am experiencing the same symptoms, but only for the past two days, with what I believe is a UTI or bladder infection. I am going to a walk-in clinic in the morning to have urine sample taken/tested but wondered why I am getting the tingling/burning sensation especially in my right arm down to my fingers, and just a bit on the left side too. I have that burning sensation near the urethra with tingling while I am emptying my bladder, but this extension to the arm is weird. I work for a chiropractor...it is definitely not a pinched nerve in my case...it seems directly related to having just urinated and then it goes away rather quickly. Feels like it radiates from my bladder up through my hip and right side to my arm. So bizarre.
|

replied September 5th, 2013
pain and tingling in my arms when I urinate during a UTI
This happens to me too and often is the first sign I have a UTI. I get pain radiating down both my arms and into my hands when I urinate and have a UTI. It is real pain. My doctor laughed at me when I told her, and she said it was unrelated, but I know for sure it is not. This has been happening to me for about 6 years. It is frustrating because nobody can give me an answer to why this might happen. I wish someone could give me an answer! Today it started again. That is why I am once again searching on line for an answer. I was glad to see there are people out there who know what I am talking about!
|

replied September 9th, 2013
Pain in hands with a UTI
gardenbeez
I know what you're talking about. I get strong pain in my hands, feet, and upper back- mostly my hands. I would think it's some type of nerve pain traveling from the bladder??? Has anyone else received an answer from their doctor?
|

replied September 9th, 2013
Finger and urination pain
I too have the pain in my fingertips when I am having episodes of pain during urination. sometimes I feel like the pain in my fingers is worse than the urination pain itself. My urologist said he had never heard of pain in fingers due to urinary pain. However, it only occurs with me when urination stings--either from UTI of sometimes sexual activity. One thing I do know is that they coincide like clockwork!!!
Sometimes I think that my urine is to acidic and causing irritations to my skin and tissues. I sometimes pour a box of baking soda in the tub with a few inches of water and get some relief. I also use Rephresh a ph balancer found in the femine hygiene aisle; I use it externally to hopefully reduce the stinging during urination.
As far as why the fingers hurt, I have no ides. I do know that if I reduce the urination burning the fingers seem to hurt less. I too would love to know why the two go hand in hand.
|

replied September 23rd, 2013
UTI and hand pain
I'm going through the hand pain right now and I have just started on meds for my current bladder infection. I know the pain is a result of the UTI - yesterday I had no pain and no UTI - today I have a UTI and pain in my hands. We are not crazy...and doctors apparently don't know everything!! I just live with it - once the UTI is cleared up, the pain is gone.
|

replied December 13th, 2013
UTI with stinging sensaation in my hands...
It's good to know I'm not alone. I woke up this morning with signs/symptoms of a UTI. The confirmation was when I went to the bathroom and started to urinate, the most painful stinging sensation shot through my fingers. When I stopped voiding, the sensation stopped, and recurred each time I voided. This has happened every time I've had a UTI and like many others, my doctor has never heard of it, so could offer no insight.
|

replied January 1st, 2014
UTI and arm tingling
I've just been experiencing the same thing and wondered if I have a UTI, which I've never had before. Strange that when urinating, somewhat painfully, a pain works through my body and into my arms. Seems better today, so I don't know if I need to go to the doctor.
|

replied January 14th, 2014
Thank you, I have experienced this same thing. What I think: I have a hiatus hernia and I have noticed that when I have a particularly tough time with acid, shortly after my fingers ache and sometimes the penile gland burns when I urinate. It sometimes radiates form the blander & penis, up the inside of the arm holding myself and terminates at my index finger, middle finger and thumb. This may sound funny but it really isn't - I have experimented in holding myself with one hand or the other or both - I experience the same results. I have also urinated without using either hand and held them to the side - again the same result even if I do not hold myself. Interesting enough, if I hold my hands up or rest them placing them on my head, there is no pain experience. Any ideas?
|

replied January 18th, 2014
Pain in arms and hands with an UTI
I, also, have this painful tingling in my arms and hands when I have an onset of a UTI. Mine start in my neck and radiate now to my hands. I'll have this pain, but not the burning during urination. I've had sever UTI's with no pain other than the pain that radiates down my arms. My doctors look at me rather oddly and I don't think the believe me either.
|
Users who thank MomW61 for this post: JCJC 

replied February 3rd, 2014
I have had his symptom for over 40 years. Only one dr. Has ever heard of this....makes me angry...the pain is soooooo bad and no one will even acknowledge it.
|

replied April 14th, 2014
I'm 82 years old and I have this same kind of sensation when I have a UTI coming on. The "tingling/burning" sensation - not pleasant by any means - begins in my pelvic area and radiates up my body and down my arms. Doctors and medical people can laugh all they want but it is real and I hope that each one who laughs and denies it happens will experience it one day! It took a long time but I finally realized that doctors do not sit at the right hand of God and they do not know everything.. though some give the impression they do.
|

replied April 24th, 2014
I am so happy to hear others are experiencing the same feeling I am. I just came from my doctor and was diagnosed with a UTI again. She asked if I am experiencing pain or burning and when I explained I never have any pain except in my finger tips on my right hand. Of course I get the strange look and I know she doubts me but it has been happening for years. I actually know when I have a UTI because of my fingertips and it's mostly my middle finger. I'm just relieved to know I'm not alone.
|

replied April 28th, 2014
I had the same thing happen to me yesterday as I was leaving the med center with a uti diagnosis. I was driving from the med center to the pharmacy, which was about 10 miles, and I had just drunk a lot of water to provide a specimen. I had symptoms of extreme urgency and the area between my right forefinger and thumb started tingling. It wasn't painful, but it was very uncomfortable. It felt almost electrical,and seemed to travel up the right side of my body and into my hand. Today it's both hands, but only if I have delayed a trip to the bathroom and am experiencing that painful urgency.
|

replied June 30th, 2014
I'm so happy to find this site and posts. I have had the same issue for years. I feel tingling in hands and feet at the time I am urinating. This always means that a UTI is coming. It is very strange. I get UTI's all the time and need to speak to my doctor about the tingling symptoms.
|

replied June 30th, 2014
I'm so happy to find this site and posts. I have had the same issue for years. I feel tingling in hands and feet at the time I am urinating. This always means that a UTI is coming. It is very strange. I get UTI's all the time and need to speak to my doctor about the tingling symptoms.
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2014
It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one who suffers with the pain that radiates from my bladder up through my chest, down both arms and into my fingers while urinating. Relief, but sorry there are so many of you going through it. I've had this for over 10 years. I never asked my doc about it because I was afraid he'd think I was crazy. I guess it's time to ask. Does anyone here know what this is and what to do about it? Mine can't be a UTI because it happened every day for over 10 years. It's absolutely miserable!
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2014
Pain in arms and hands when I urinate
It's such a relief to know I'm not the only one who suffers with the pain that radiates from my bladder up through my chest, down both arms and into my fingers while urinating. Relief, but sorry there are so many of you going through it. I've had this for over 10 years. I never asked my doc about it because I was afraid he'd think I was crazy. I guess it's time to ask. Does anyone here know what this is and what to do about it? Mine can't be a UTI because it happened every day for over 10 years. It's absolutely miserable!
|

replied July 7th, 2014
uncomfortable sensation in my hands during urination???
I seem to have the exact symptoms a the original posted question. The difference is I've been feeling this sensation as long as I can remember. Since I can't look back and know exactly when it started I just figured it was normal. I never talked about it with anyone for that reason. A while back I asked my mother about it jokingly about that weird sensation we all feel when we pee...lol....She then informed me that she has never heard of that happening to anyone. It struck me as odd due to the fact that she has been and LPN for over 40 years now. I am not 42 and still feeling it only when I have to go really bad and it will then go away when Im done. It has gotten worse through the years. I no wonder if it has something to do with my other conditions. I have severe VSD, Pulmonary Hypertension, Hypertension, Anemia and social anxiety. I am also a domestic violence survivor of 17 years that had very severe internal injuries. I am still trying to figure this out and by the looks of it I will be for awhile. At least now I know I'm not the only one.....lol

P.S. I should also state that I have been checked a few times thinking I may have a Urinary Tract Infection and it was never the case. I'm never had that or a yeast infection in my life as far as I can remember...
|
12 >>