Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Tingling and Numbess

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hi,
About 6 months ago I started experiencing a combination of tingling sensations and numbess all over my body sporadically. My skin was also very itchy and I was having on and off "pins and needles" sensations as well. I went to my PCP and he did some bloodwork and tested for Lyme. The results were negative. However these symptoms continued on and off up until now. I also saw a neurologist who did some basic nerves testing and said everything was ok and I should follow up in a few months. Since the symptoms started I've noticed that my skin has become way more sensitive and even my palms would hurt if I gripped anything too tightly. More recently I've been feeling like I have poor circulation on the left-side of my body. My left arm and leg seem slightly numb with a slight tingling in my left palm/sole. Also, I've noticed that I become easily fatigued doing day to day stuff eg my arm will feel fatigued from holding on on the subway or carry my coat in my hand. The itching has gone away for the most part but the weird skin sensations and the numbess/tingling is what bother me the most. I'm 26 and very active. I play soccer and work out every other day. The bloodwork and other tests from my doctor show that my health is pretty good except for this weird condition I've been having. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Did you have your thyroid checked? What other blood tests did they do? Any scans or other tests besides the nerve function test?

I would recommend going back to the neurologist or finding another one for a second opinion. It sounds like you've noticed that your symptoms are getting worse. The fact that it is on the left side more than the right is a significant symptom.

Before you go back to the doctor, make a full list of all your symptoms, when they occurred, how severe they are, how the severity has changed, and anything that makes them better or worse. Do you have any headaches or pain?

Don't let the doctors dismiss you. Too many doctors seem to only focus on the most common things, but sometimes people have uncommon things. You have to be in charge of your own health care. The doctors work for you. You pay them. So don't let them tell you that nothing is wrong.

Have they ruled out basic things like peripheral neuropathy and MS?

At the very least, ask for something to relieve the nerve symptoms while they look for the cause. Anti-seizure medications, like Gabapentin, help relieve the tingling feeling, especially if it is keeping you from sleeping.

Good luck. If you have any other information, please share it. Also, if you have any other questions, feel free to re-post.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
Thanks a lot for your response Myrah.

They didn't check my thryroid so that should a worthwile mention next time I see the neurologist. I also didn't do any scans or nerve functions tests. I did MS as a possible condition but he said the symptoms weren't strong enough at that point. But since they've gotten worse since my last visit I hope he'll have me do quite a few more tests/scans. As for headaches, I haven't really had any unusual ones but I do feel the tingling in my head too.

I'm really curious to see if anyone else has similiar symptoms. Thanks.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
I do the numbness and tingling went away. i do feel a heaviness behind my left ear off and on. A tightening in my forehead. I seen a neurologists, they took a ct scan, a MRI, a EEG, and I will take today an eng test. So far they found nothing wrong. somedays i feel like my normal self and sometimes i feel leary like the symptoms are coming on strong again. i am finally sleeping. i have a couple of weird dreams at times. i ignore it to keep up with my son. I feel that i have changed, i lost weight. i do not have a food preference, a normal appetite and i have had loose stooo for about a month and a half.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
chin_su: When you said they did basic nerve testing, I assumed they did a nerve function test. It sounds like the neurologist missed a lot of things. When I had numbness and tingling in my feet, the neurologist immediately looked into my thyroid function as a possible cause. She said it's routine. She also did nerve function tests because those can help pinpoint the cause (or rule out some things) and see how well the nerves are working. My tests were consistent with thyroid related peripheral neuropathy.

Since your neurologist didn't do those two basic tests, I think you need a second opinion from another neurologist and specifically ask for a TSH test (for your thyroid) and for a nerve function test.

Pumpkin3131: Have you had any blood tests taken? I know I tell people to have their thyroid checked quite often, but I think it's particularly important in your case. Hyperthyroidism can cause neuropathy (the numbness and tingling), trouble sleeping, fatigue even after getting plenty of sleep, weight loss, increase in appetite, and frequent bowel movements. It can also make you just feel strange and not quite like yourself in a way that is difficult to describe. Hyperthyroidism is easy to check for with a simple blood test. Ask to have your TSH checked.

Good luck. If you don't get answers from the doctor you are going to, go to another doctor. After all, if a mechanic couldn't tell you what was wrong with your car after he ran test after test, eventually, you'd probably get a new mechanic. Why do we treat our cars better than our bodies sometimes?
|

replied August 26th, 2009
tingling and numbness
After very bad food poisoning in Thailand, I'm experincing a combination of tingling, numbness and feeling heavy in my right hand and feet, but these feeling is shifting to my left side also!
I did nerve test, MRI and blood test... but all of them were Ok!
Im wondering whats wrong with me, cause it make me weaken and I feel sloth!
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
How long has this been going on? Did they test you for toxin or other poison exposure? Did you get really dehydrated? Do you know what made you sick? Were you exposed to anything else that could have made you sick? Were you given any medication in Thailand for the food poisoning?
|

replied August 15th, 2010
I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 2.5 months ago and seem to be experiencing new symptoms all the time. Today it was tingling in my face and arm! I am taking thyroid meds as well as prednisone (due to related eye issues). Could the prednisone be causing the tingling or is this common with a hyper-thyroid?
|