Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

tightness in throat- hpv or anxiety?

Must Read
Learn the basics about sexual health issues, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a sexual health disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for sexual health disorders....
I have HPV and recently went for a check up because I saw a spot in my mouth. The doc said it was 'leukoplaktic' which is caused by smoking/chewing (I don't do that). And I've been feeling lately a tightness in my throat (like I'm going to cry) and there's a small lump in the back of my mouth which sometimes feels like it's being 'pinched' and can swell at points; it also sometimes leads to a hard time breathing. However, I've had some major anxiety lately and the tightness etc.. seems to be only coming when I'm stressed. Should I pass it off as anxiety, or potential cancer?!? The problem is I think the doctors in the area are kind of useless and when they see I'm young they don't think anything is wrong, so am at a loss of what to do...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 29th, 2011
Globus Hystericus?
I would guess it's not cancer! But, of course it is always safe to be safe than sorry. Talk to different doctors until you feel someone takes it seriously and that there's a solution to your problem. You might want to have your thyroid checked if you haven't already. I have the exact same problem, however. My throat feels all throbby and achy like I've been holding in a cry for a really long time, and it's usually accompanying (following or prior to throat tightness)difficulty breathing and chest tightness. And we're not the only ones. There are lots of other people experiencing the same thing, which is some comfort! I haven't found a solution for it, but keep blowing it off so haven't even talked to my doctor about it to be honest. I am also young. I've heard that it's caused by anxiety and that some doctors won't take it seriously. I saw your post and saw that you posted in May and that no one's responded to your question. So maybe you don't need an answer anymore but I thought just in case, I'd write what I know. Here is some of the information I've found. Good luck! Smile

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic26026. html
|

replied August 1st, 2011
The lesion your describing is almost certainly not hpv or cancerous, and the tightness in your throat is clearly from anxiety and stress. Try to treat your underlying psychological issues and the physical issues will resolve as well.
|