Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

tightness in left forearm, shoulder & wrist

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am a 26 y.o. female. I have a history of depression, anxiety, adhd & anorexia (never hospitalized). Recently I have been feeling what I think are panic attack symptoms (feeling of "heat" or tingling on the back of my neck, pit in my stomach--like heartburn almost, fluttering heart, and tightness in my left arm and wrist), but I am concerned that these symptoms are more serious, because I've been having them for a few days straight. I take Nuvigil (which is known to increase anxiety--but it helps me with irritability), Wellbutrin, I am trying to come off of Lexapro, and I drink 1 cup of coffee a day. The last time I had these symptoms to this extent I took .125mg of xanax (split a .5mg tablet in quarters), and that helped a little (pain decreased).

Does this sound like a heart issue? I know it really sounds like anxiety, but the tightness in my left arm concerns me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Wintrapo
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Nuvigil
It's the Nuvigil, I take it occasionally (low dose) and I feel like my blood pressure is being taken (left arm squeeze) If it were on my right, I wouldn't trip so hard. My heart feels fine, my pulse not speedy. I tend to get muscle cramps with Nuvigil, so I always go off of it, also pains in my ovaries (so it feels) Did you have any luck with this?
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Hi i think its just your anxciety. I myself have chest pain, fast heart and like a numbness feeling in my hands arms and sometimes in my face. I have had 2 ecgs and both came back completely normal and i was told off 3 doctors that this is all anxciety sypmtoms. But its definatley worth a trip to the doctors and tell him you want an ecg, he cant refuse you of one chick x
|

replied February 17th, 2010
hi i get this with anxiety ive had anxiety for 6 months and the last 2 months i been getting what feels like a pulling in left arm also my neck goes hot and prickly im the same really cant except it is anxiety.ive also starting grinding my teeth when sleeping my boyfriend wakes me up to tell me the in the mornins my jaw really aches from it.anxiety is a horrible thing and i truly wouldnt wish it upon my wors enemy.
|

replied August 7th, 2010
I am a 32 y.o. (non smoker, some exercise, no history of heart problems in family) and had a panic attack a few months ago (shortness of breath, palpitations, weak legs etc.)

I had no idea what this was initially and I freaked out and went to ER immediately where they ran a complete blood test, ECG and CT scan of my brain. Only the blood pressure was high (about 160/80), everything else came back normal.

I was convinced something was wrong with my heart so I went the cardiologist, who found nothing wrong with me - he suggested anxiety.

So I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the past few months who put me on anti-depressants and Xanax, and things are fine usually when I take the medication. But when I'm off it I regularly feel anxious, with squeezing sensation in my left fore arm and sometimes a flushing feeling in the face, plus some occasional but recurring discomfort in the chest and heart.

All of these are symptoms of anxiety I am told, so I take comfort in the fact this is nothing more serious although I wish I could make that anxiety go away
|