Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

tight pressure above left breast

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
It started yesterday morning, I had this tightness above my left breast and I started belching. I thought it was just trapped gas, it lasted the entire day. Its not 6 30 am the following the day and im sore in that upper area where it hurt. I also woke up at 5 am with pains where my heart is . I started belching again. The pains only last a secs, but enough to scare me. I do have panic disorder and a mitral valve prolapse. I take 25 mgs of ateneoel not so much for the mitral valve, but for my panic attacks. I was having horrid panic attacks and yrs ago and my heart rate would climb in the 190's so ateneol is suppose not to allow my heart rate to go as high if I have an attack. well anyways im worried now that this soreness and tightness I had. Is this my heart> lungs> Im scared. Im a 37 yr old woman 5 ft 7 127 lbs. any advice would be great , but please try not to scare me as I do have panic attacks and it will set it off..Thanks
Ps ..I just started feeling some pressure in my back>>>I think Im freaking myself out, or I have serious trapped gas..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 23rd, 2008
Experienced User
Hi there

I have Mitral & Aortic prolapse, so I know how much these things can scare one Wink . The first thing, as you most likely know allready, is just to stay calm Smile . If you panick, it will only worsten the symptoms.

Just a couple of quick questions...

- Do you have any throught pain or itching
- Is the chest pain dull or sharp
- Have you had any stressfull events happen to you lately that might have made you nervous or anxious

Anxiety attacks can have symptoms close to what you describe...i.e. indigestion, tight-chest, chest pains, so I won't rule out the possibility of an anxiety attack

I can recall having had the exact same kind of weird belching along with sudden stab-pains in my chest...I never did find out what it was but it was scary to say the least.
|

No, I dont have any pain, itching, chest pain..THANKS GOD! I just have this soreness now where I had that tight squeeze. Hurts to take in a deep breathe. Im still belching some. I have some pressure now in my back. I don't know what is going on, but Im really freaked and trying not to because of the anxiety /panic.
|

Experienced User
I am not a doctor but if anything, I would have to guess that it is your mitral valve acting up as I have had the exact same experience once before and the more you talk about it, the more familiar it sounds.

From what I can remember, I didn't have any adverse affects from it and it passed on it's own in a while.

The best idea, would be to visit your cardiologist just as a routine visit to monitor if any changes has occurred from the last visit.

In general, prolapse and regurge is not a serious problem to be concerned about and very rarely causes serious complications. In my case however, it's not as simple and I need to see a cardiologist regularly but you would have been informed by your cardiologist if he had any concerns about it.

Just out of interest...while searching the net on it, I found something I wasn't aware of...

"Anxiety, panic attacks, and depression may be associated with mitral valve prolapse"

Thanks for your question that made me come across this one! This is really insightfull as I also suffer from Anxiety & Depression...
|