Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

TIA caused by stress ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
User Profile
Last week(9/21/10) my husband had a some medical issues that put him in the hospital for a couple of days. The dr. said he'd had a T.I.A. Every test the hospital ran (MRI,MRA,CAT-scan,x-rays,etc...)came out normal and showed no blockages. The dr. also said it was caused by stress. How is this possible?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2010
Stroke Answer A16415
Hi, Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out.

A TIA is a transient ischemic attack in which there’s a transient neurological deficit in the form of weakness of one of the limbs, sensory disturbances or some cognitive abnormality like unable to identify the people known to one or a transient loss of voice.

These symptoms last less than 24 hrs and in majority it lasts less than 1 hour.

However, such symptoms can also be manifestations of an underlying psychiatric problem like depression or stress. In such a case, it is called a psychosomatic disorder.

Hence, your doctor may not be wrong in mentioning the same. Please do consult a psychiatrist/clinical psychologist to unearth any underlying psychiatric illness which your husband might be suffering from.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.