Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

TIA caused by stress ?

Must Read
Learn the basics about mental disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a mental health condition. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for mental conditions....
User Profile
Last week(9/21/10) my husband had a some medical issues that put him in the hospital for a couple of days. The dr. said he'd had a T.I.A. Every test the hospital ran (MRI,MRA,CAT-scan,x-rays,etc...)came out normal and showed no blockages. The dr. also said it was caused by stress. How is this possible?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2010
Stroke Answer A16415
Hi, Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out.

A TIA is a transient ischemic attack in which there’s a transient neurological deficit in the form of weakness of one of the limbs, sensory disturbances or some cognitive abnormality like unable to identify the people known to one or a transient loss of voice.

These symptoms last less than 24 hrs and in majority it lasts less than 1 hour.

However, such symptoms can also be manifestations of an underlying psychiatric problem like depression or stress. In such a case, it is called a psychosomatic disorder.

Hence, your doctor may not be wrong in mentioning the same. Please do consult a psychiatrist/clinical psychologist to unearth any underlying psychiatric illness which your husband might be suffering from.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.