Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Thyroid ultrasound result

User Profile
Good Morning,

I have a palpable lump on the left side of my thyroid so my Dr. sent me for an ultrasound. I did not have the kind where you are injected with dyes. During the ultrasound Friday there was a large solid red area that seemed to be where the lump is and on the other side of my neck there were grey and blue/red speckled areas. Is this normal? I have lost about 30 lbs since last year and when I exhale I can feel something in my throat that feels like flapping.

I read in one article that red is often a sign of malignancy but I was not sure what type of test they were talking about.

As an update, I received my TSH tests and everything was normal but my ultrasound has come back with a 0.9 x 1.0 x 1.4 cm heterogeneous nodule observed in the inferior body of the left lobe. Two small nodules are noted at the right lobe measuring 2.0 mm and 4.0 mm. Right and left lobes of the thyroid gland measure 5.3 x 1.7 x 2.3 cm and 3.9 x 1.4 x1.6 cm. The isthmus measures 4.0 mm thickness. I have been recommended to see an ENT. Immediately. Should I be concerned?

I read in a few sites that if there is more than one nodule the odds are that it is non cancerous. I have also read that if the nodule is more wide than tall it is more reason for concern. I am getting really confused now.

I thank you in advance for any information you may be able to share. Kindest Regards.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
The red and blue colors that you describe is most likely a measurement of blood flow in the nodule by the ultrasound machine. It is not possible to tell you if you have a thyroid cancer or not based only upon your description of these findings. More than likely, you will need to undergo a needle biopsy of this thyroid nodule in an effort to obtain a diagnosis.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.