Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Thyroid levels and use of eltroxin in pregnancy?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
my wife detected pregnancy we have tested urine in lab and also htp in different bard it is true..we have consulted gync and they gave depastone , folviate and doxinate.
is that fine.. also we have taken thyroid test..as we have find during first trimester T4 and T3 slight elevated..T4 have 15 and T3 1.90 and TSH normal..so we consult general physician.
She gave eltroxin 25 mg ..my wife took one medicine of eltroxin and then i enquired about this in internet and notice eltroxin given in hypothyroid where T4 and T3 low to normal range..but in case slight elevated.
So i stop and consult gyac she surprised and seeing report of thyroid said no worries there is no thyroid u have all fine in pregnancy slight elevation is there ..for sure stop eltroxin... So all fine right..
I have question here also taking one medicine of eltroxin on day only and then stop will not hamper any thing to my baby and wife ..normal thyroid function..
Not to take tension and worry right all good right..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2012
Endometriosis Answer A32624
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Mild elevation in thyroid hormone levels is normal. Normal levels are important for baby’s neural & brain development. The body responds to the higher requirement during pregnancy and baby’s requirement by producing little extra hormones. Taking one dose of the Eltroxin will not affect the baby growth and development. Continue to get her thyroid levels monitored to make sure that they are within normal range (normal physiologic ranges described during pregnancy). She should be in regular monitoring and follow-up with her treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our First Trimester of Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.