Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Throwing up when I brush my teeth (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Every morning when I am brushing my teeth I throw up. This has been happening for the last 5 months. I do have 3-5 beers a night, but not drinking to drunkiness. I have no idea if this is physical or mental. I have diarehea on a regular basis since I was in my early teens. My brother has Chrones disease, and I know that that is not supposed to be hereditary. There are so many factors that couuld point to different directions. I use smokeless tobacco, and have for many years. I just changed jobs 6 months ago and my boss & job are rediculously stressfull. I work 10-14 hours a day. I haven't been to the doctor in about 4 years, but just applied for life insurance and everything came back ok. Let me know what you think, or if you need some questions answered.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Montey1375
|
Users who thank Montey1375 for this post: yvonne1 

replied April 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi

When you apply for life insurance the check routine blood and urine. I think you should see your doctor let him/her know what is going with you and that your brother has Crohn's. Some say it is inherited others disagree. I know of a family (parents and siblings) that has both Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. They are now finding out other family members have suffered with one or the other not realizing this is what they have.
No one wants to go for a colonoscopy but at some point we all should be checked.

I'm not saying this is what you have as you have also been under stress with work.
This may sound dumb but have you switched toothpastes? Maybe the taste is making you sick.

The point you made about diarrhea makes me wonder though if there is something going on. Having diarrhea on a regular basis concerns me.
Do you have food allergies? Lactose intolerant,wheat, etc..
It's difficult to say exactly what is.
Please follow up with a doctor and keep us posted.
|

replied April 18th, 2008
My son was throwing up every morning for a year we had every test done and they could not find out what it was and than we finally found out it was allergy he was severely allergic to dust mite. not sure if this help but just wanted to let you know but he threw up as soon as he got up not when brushing his teeth and he would be sick till about 10 am.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
I've been having the same problem for about 2 or 3 years myself where I have a tendency to vomit while brushing my teeth. It's not every time but have found if I take an Advil Cold and Sinus first thing in the morning, wait about a half hour then make sure I clear my sinuses good before and during brushing I generally don't have this problem. I also take a Zyrtec each morning and have been now for about 7 or 8 years. I've notice that
drinking my morning cup of coffee first seems to increase the likelihood of occurance and I use cream and sugar in my coffee. I definitely have to wait a few hours after eating before I brush my teeth also. If not I will definitely vomit in the course of brushing. I have a strong routine of listerine, flossing, rinsing good then brushing. I've tried about 4 different types of toothpaste to no avail. In summary I think the main cause is a large build up of mucous and is likely compounded by the use of cream in my coffee. Due to other issues in past few months and the fact I am now in my 50's they've scheduled me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I am a high risk for throat cancer because I've smoked for 40 years and I do drink alchohol. Anyway, hope this may be of help and possibly
shed some possible light on the problem.
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Wow.... I have had the same problem. It hasn''t lasted as long for me though I don''t think... for the last few months every time I brush my teeth I feel like I have to throw up (although, I don''t always actually throw up, only about once a week) - and I don''t think it''s a gag reflex either, I get a weird feeling in my stomach. I also have had diarrhea for a while it seems, or at least a soft stool. My sister also has chrone''s disease.... have you been able to solve what''s wrong? Your case sounds so similar to mine....
|

replied July 26th, 2010
gagging recently while brushing teeth
I recently started to have the same problem. I went to my dentist and had to have 100 x-rays done since I was overdue for my cleaning. My gag reflex was so bad that it took a long time to have the x-rays completed. In particular, the ones on my lower set of teeth near my tongue. The woman said this wasn't uncommon and some people have to be put to sleep in order to get x-rays done. Well, I'd never had that problem in the past. I thought of myself as the ideal dental patient- until that day! So now I found I'm gaging all the time, even without brushing my teeth. It is magnified when I drink coffee and a protein shake in the a.m. Maybe it's too much dairy at once? I will vomit in my mouth before I can get to the bathroom sometimes. Other times it's just dry heaving. I'm not pregnant and this seems like an unpleasant problem to have ongoing. I think I'll check with my doctor.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
I recently started to have the same problem. I went to my dentist and had to have 100 x-rays done since I was overdue for my cleaning. My gag reflex was so bad that it took a long time to have the x-rays completed. In particular, the ones on my lower set of teeth near my tongue. The woman said this wasn't uncommon and some people have to be put to sleep in order to get x-rays done. Well, I'd never had that problem in the past. I thought of myself as the ideal dental patient- until that day! So now I found I'm gaging all the time, even without brushing my teeth. It is magnified when I drink coffee and a protein shake in the a.m. Maybe it's too much dairy at once? I will vomit in my mouth before I can get to the bathroom sometimes. Other times it's just dry heaving. I'm not pregnant and this seems like an unpleasant problem to have ongoing. I think I'll check with my doctor.
|

replied August 12th, 2010
Why o why..... !!!!
I also have the same problem.... I get an exsesive build up of saliva when I clean my teeth in the morning... I also drink coffee and I have it black.... This also sometime happens when I drink Stella beer.... I smoke cigarettes and weed. I seem to get a build up of clear thick saliva that when I try and spit out will not leave my lips.... I am very worried I have some throat problems ( cancer ) i am 37. I have read that other people say drink more water . I also had (i have been clean for 3 years) a serious cocaine habit for 5 years and the 1st line would also make me gag...Sometimes teeth cleaning is fine an other times it is not....I gag and am dry sick...breaking it a sweet and feel gidy... Not nice... I am glad I am not alone yet this really does worry me.... Any ideas ?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Heaving whilst brushing teeth
yours all sound similar, smoking, drinking, coffee, etc etc but i dont fit into any of that. I dont smoke, drink, I dont drink coffee, I only drink water and lots of it yet every single time without fail I brush my teeth and heave, its not dry though as I can feel it all coming from my stomach every time but I'm very good at holding sick back. This all started for me when about a year ago my dentist prescribed me a high fluoride toothpaste to use temporarily, and even though I'm now back on my normal toothpaste the problem has never gone away. I'm starting to think that its something to do with fluoride and the high one the dentist prescribed triggered something off?? Oh and im also not pregnant and never have been
|

replied November 6th, 2010
caffeine and gagging
I have the same problem. If I brush my teeth before drinking coffee, I am fine. No gagging - nothing. However, if I do drink coffee and then brush my teeth - I will gag. If I drink alcohol and/or smoke cigarettes the night before, I will surely gag/vomit the next day when brushing my teeth. A large amount of mucous tends to come up....I too, think that it's something serious sometimes....is it?
|

replied November 12th, 2010
Why do I vomit when I brush my teeth?
Gosh I love the internet! Great to know that I am not just a freak who is gagging from toothpaste Smile
So this morning I was brushing my teeth and I started the normal gagging and proceeded with the dry heaves and vomit of only stomach acids. During the salivating period, my saliva is, too, clear and thick and it is hard to get it out of my mouth and off of my tongue. I start to spit incessantly. Then, I don't know why I keep doing it, but I will use the toothbrush to try and 'scrape' the spit from my tongue (tip) and lips causing more gagging. Also, I can self diagnose MY situation by saying it has nothing to do with a gag reflex. Firstly, I get all gaggy and begin salivating as I am brushing the front teeth. I use a tongue scrapper to clean the back of my tongue,sans gagging, and gargle with mouthwash. I can't bring myself to stick a toothbrush back there anymore. It feels like my stomach goes into hyper upheaval mode and it takes much longer to shake the nauseous feeling when I've attempted to. This has only been going on for about 2 years now. I am 33, female, smoke cigs for 7 years, marijuana for 10+ , 5'8", 127lbs. I eat whatever I feel like eating and it doesn't often include the healthiest of options. I say this because I have had diarrhea as well for a while now, but I attributed that to the unhealthy diet and being stressed the heck out. But I saw above that someone listed that as a 'symptom' they were having. Related? I don't know. I will be living in France in the next 6 months so I just hope I can hold out until the FREE insurance kicks in Smile I am not pregnant either.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
I too gag/puke often while cleaning my teeth most mornings, I thought it was because I smoked cigs. Then I gave up smoking cigs a year ago and for the first 7 months I stopped gagging, but then it's started again, not as much, but it's annoying to say the least. When I manage to puke/gag/cough up some brown/yellow thick phlegm then I'm okay and I can continue to brush my teeth. Personally, I think it's because I drink 3-5 bottles of Becks most nights? Smile
|

replied August 5th, 2011
I've noticed this happens especially when I drink a lot of coffee in the morning and when I've drank more than a couple drinks of alcohol. I think my system literally becomes sensitive, that my stomach is overwhelmed from coffee or alcohol. My stomach feels better after I've puked, but I'm starting to notice a little trace of blood in my spit and my throat is raw feeling the next day. It's definitely related to smoking too many cigarettes, and drinking too much coffee or alcohol, because I don't puke when I haven't been doing those (bad for my health) things. Everytime I tell myself that I'm not going to be so excessive as to make myself puke when performing the simplest of hygiene! After reading the other posts, it sounds like coffee, alcohol and cigarettes are a common theme. Think I'll try taking care of myself today.
|

User Profile
replied August 6th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
After reading through all of the posts on this thread, I noticed that no one has suggested a psychological component to the situation. It could also be a learned response, that is now working at the subconscious level.
|

replied December 9th, 2011
learned response?
I too have this problem - been really bad for the past 4 months. Tried different toothpastes, brushes etc - still no good. I have come to the conclusion that it is a learned psychological response. I had a nasty chest infection early on this tear and I was bringing up loads of phlegm every morning in the bathroom sink, and this in turn started making me feel sick and I would throw up a bit. I think that it may be from this? I'm 33 yrs old btw way, slim, I don;t smoke, drink occasionally and don;t drink coffee until a good hour after I brush my teeth..
|

replied December 28th, 2011
Same Thing
My 13 year old is having this problem, too. He throws up while brushing his teeth, and he doesn't want to brush them... EVER.

I was thinking it might be the bubbles in the toothpaste? or hitting a gag response?

He doesn't smoke or drink. He doesn't have Chron's and he is not under a lot of stress at all... I can't imagine what is causing the issue.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
me too! I gag / retch when I brush my teeth and I drink coffee
Wow, I never expected to find so many people describing the symptoms. (yay for googling all my problems)

Here's mine:

When I brush my teeth, I dry retch, or if I've just eaten, then I almost (and sometimes actually do) throw up a little.

I know what's going on. The process of brushing my teeth causes a separation of saliva from the rest of my mouth. Whereas normally there will be saliva all through my mouth, I think the process of brushing my teeth (and tongue) causes what's left of the saliva to clump up and become all thick at the back of my tongue where I can't reach it to clean it out with my brush.

I also drink a lot of coffee. And although I don't have diahorea, I do have a soft stool. Caffeine is both a laxative and a dehydrating drug. Dehydration can cause a thickening of the saliva, so it makes sense that we who drink caffeine or alcohol (both which dehydrate) are going to experience changes in our saliva's thickness. I drink tonnes of water, but drinking tonnes of water can only do so much to counter the dehydrating affects of alcohol or caffeine. And I know from when I was younger and smoked pot and tobacco that these drugs also gave me dry mouth. (notice how young smokers spit a lot)? it's the gross claggy saliva.

Anyway, I wish there were more solutions offered here. I think if mine gets worse, I might get a tongue scraper and also gargle salty water (to loosen the flegm). (doesn't need to be salty, but gargling salt is good for your throat's health anyway).
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I throw up two or three days a week but only in the morning when I brush my teeth. I bring up a LOT of clear mucus. It seemed unusual to me and I thought I was alone with this problem but it looks like a lot of others have the same situation. I read all the prior posts. I dont smoke or drink, but I think Vanguard7 is correct about it being sinus-related. I cant help but to think it's a build up of mucus that needs to be expelled. For you smokers, I checked Wikipedia and here's what is said about phlegm and smoking "Heat from smoking dries out the vocal chords. With each breath in of smoke, the larynx is polluted with toxins that inhibit it from rehydrating for about 3 hours. The vocal chords need a fair amount of lubrication and swell from inflammation when they do not have enough of it. When the vocal folds swell and are inflamed, phlegm is often created to attempt to ease the dryness." and here's what it says about hay fever/asthma and phlegm "In hay fever and asthma, inner lining in bronchioles become inflamed and create an excess amount of phlegm that can clog up air pathways".
So my uneducated guess is that the choking/throwing up (FOR SOME PEOPLE) is caused by either excess phlegm or mucus.
I was diagnosed with allergies and I cant help but to think that's what causing a build up of mucus which causes the throwing up in the morning. For some reason, brushing my teeth seems to bring it up.
To be on the safe side, see a doctor though, in case your situation is serious.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
Hello, I am 25 male, very healthy do not smoke or drink. I also have the same problem where I throw up in the mornings evenings, and nights when I brush my teeth. I used burt's bees oral care multi-care and the problem completely disapeared.
|

replied March 8th, 2012
Hmmm. you never know. Maybe it's the cranberry extract or another ingredient that calms your throat. I'll give it a try. thanks!
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Gag, choke, throw up when brushing teeth
Wow, I didn't think I'd find anything on this either! Who knew? I'm having the same problem. Gag, choke & throw up virtually every time I brush. I have allergies and lots of phlegm from that & stupid smoking and I'm sure those are contributors. But I'm thinking it may possibly be more attributable to the toothpaste. I tried a sample of a sensitive paste that didn't note any whitening or other extras and I didn't have the gag reaction. So I am going to go back to a paste without all the fancy additives and see if that is the culprit. I am 65 & have never had this kind of problem before I started using the whitening pastes.

m still amazed I found so many having the exact same problem. Thanks!!!
|
12 >>