Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

thrombosed hemorrhoid burst (Page 1)

User Profile
hello all!

i'm in my early twenties, generally have a healthy diet , i am not overweight and get sufficient exercise. i recently developed a large swelling on the outside of my anus. it gave me considerable discomfort, and was about the size of a brazil nut so i went straight to the doctors.

the doctor suspected it may have been an abscess, so put me on a course of antibiotics. the next day, whilst passing a stool, the suspected abscess burst but instead of pus a large clot and quite a lot of blood was expelled.

the bleeding did not stop, so i rushed straight to the doctors worried it might be a lot more serious than suspected. i was examined and the doctor concluded it must have been a thrombosed external hemorrhoid which had burst.

now that the scene has been set, i would like to pose the following questions:
the doctor mis-diagnosed me the first time, is it possible that i have been mis-diagnosed again? its a frightening experience bleeding from the anus and i am worried that it may be something more serious

also, if it is a hemorrhoid that has burst, how long should i expect the bleeding to continue? the doctor have me dressing to keep against the wound, but 24 hours later its still bleeding. could this be just the remainder of the blood draining from the swellling, or is it something to be more concerned with?

if i am getting overly worried and it's unlikely to be anything more serious, and if its normal for bleeding to still be taking place, is there anything i can do to aid my recovery (i've been lying on my side on the sofa for a good few days now, and i want to be active again!)

massive thanks in advance for any help or advice, it would really put my mind to rest and make me feel a whole lot better.

thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rmaciwi
|

replied February 4th, 2009
I would highly suspect that the second diagnosis is correct. The bursting of the hemorrhoid is not abnormal, but if the bleeding continues for much longer, I would recommend at least placing a call to your doctor. It sounds strange, but an ice pack will help reduce the swelling and should aid in your recovery. Also a sitz bath can help reduce discomfort.
|

replied March 17th, 2009
i have hemorrhoids (question)
i have lately notice that i have hemorrhoids its the first time i have ever heard about it are even had it well am pregnant about to give birth any day now am scared cause am wondering if it would ever go away and the effect with would have on me.....i started eating more fiber and i feel much better nut as painful but still got it am wondering is it okay for me to burst it my self?? what should i take are do to get rid of it??
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Bursting a Thrombosed Hemorrhoid
I am just recovering from a burst thrombosed hemorrhoid and believe me, it was no picnic. These are extremely painful, however sitting in very warm water and applying ice alternatively helps trememdously. NEVER burst a hemorrhoid yourself; given enough time, it will burst on its own if it is thrombosed. There will likely be some blood and other material along with the bursting. Remember: If it does not clear up within a few days and you don't start to feel relief after the burst, it's time to see your physician.
|

replied May 19th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I will add to the wise information of the above poster...If it bleeds, keep it clean...If you are bleeding, put a sanitary napkin over it to cover it...The baths are so important...Clean napkin each time...I know, been there and done that...

Take care,
Caroline
|

User Profile
replied July 5th, 2009
Why can't you burst it yourself? Internal hemorrhoids are wrapped with a band and they go away, so how come ya can't do that and cut the thing off or open on the outside ones?
Maybe that's a silly question but I'd like to understand more.
|

replied July 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
A Hemorrhoid is a blood vessel that is swollen....Why would you want to burst it?....
|

User Profile
replied July 6th, 2009
Why? Because it is a gigantic, hanging, pustule dangling off your anise! LOL! No one wants this kind of nasty thing dangling from a sensitive area and if you burst it the swelling goes down and it is smaller, less painful, less itchy. I'd rather cut the lot off entirely, but I don't know what to expect so I was trying to find out. I've removed cysts myself and though it hurts it is gone after so I was wondering if it were possible to do the same here. I don't want a sack hanging between my cheeks waiting to split open for the rest of my life and it seems like a lot of money to have a doc snip it off and put one stitch in soooo, I was curious if it was possible. Admittedly I am also less than enthusiastic about sticking my rump in the air for anyone, let alone a doctor I know and like as a friend. Ewwweee!
|

replied October 21st, 2011
hemorrhoid
hey, i just read what you wrote i was wondering if i may ask you a couple of questions personally well by E-mail... regarding Hemorrhoids of course... let me know.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
do all thrombosed hemorrhoids burst???
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
well mine just burst and i'm at work. it is a bit startling at first and 'why me'. but mine is bleeding, a lot of small clots came out. cant help but think that may be a relief. don't know at this stage whether i should be going to a doctor because i'm definately going to have more fibre in my diet and less coffee for a start. but when will it stop bleeding is the big question!
|

replied October 29th, 2009
bleeding from rectal due to sitting too long?
I have history of hemorrhoids, both internal & external. Yesterday, I started to have bleeding (with no bowel movement) & it hasn't stop until today. The bleeding is not a lot but i have streak of blood on toilet paper and even when i'm not at the toilet, i have it like one or two drop on my panties. I'm using sanitary pad now.

Question: I've been sitting for quite an extensive long hour this few hours. Could this be the reason for the bleeding? IS it serious and do i need to see a doctor?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
If you have a history of hemorrhoids this can happen...Perhaps one that is internal has started to bleed...I, too, have had to use a napkins when the bleeding got heavy...One of them was bad enough that I did go to the doctor...It, too, was a hemorrhoid and I felt relieved...If it doesn't slow down you may want to go and have it checked out, but with a history of this I think you will be fine...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied January 25th, 2010
My piles burst at times nothing to worry about the doctor told me to stop drinking coffee and beer....I would rather be dead!!! Tried but made no difference my advise is don't eat spicy food and watch your weight.
|

replied November 1st, 2010
I have some bleeding now but they haven't bursted yet. What should I expect in the next few days? It is really painful and hurts to cough and sneeze!
|

replied November 1st, 2010
I have some bleeding now but they haven't bursted yet. What should I expect in the next few days? It is really painful and hurts to cough and sneeze!
|

replied November 8th, 2010
i have a external thrombosed hemorrhoids, with bleeding, however i dont have much pain, and i also can feel a small lump still, so not sure if it burst or is just bleeding, been reading conflicting suggestions on home remedy or going to see doctor, would prefer home methods on dealing with it though, any thoughts?
|

replied December 21st, 2010
I've had the occasional minor hemorrhoid over 45 years, as people do, but woke up with a marble sized thrombosed hemorrhoid three days ago. Yesterday it burst, perhaps prematurely, and deflated, oh yeah i thought. But now it appears to have re-filled and think I'm going through the same cycle but with bleeding. What sucks is i live in Dubai and good doctors here scarce so trying to self diagnose on the net.
|

replied January 21st, 2011
hi i really recommend downloading this report it got the best methods
|

replied February 9th, 2011
For years I struggled with hemorrhoids. Not only were they painful but also rather embarrassing. I remember having to tell my friends to slow the golf cart down because “my back hurt”. I went to a ton of Doctors and nothing seemed to work until I went the organic route. I am sure there are tons of organic solutions but this one worked for me!
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Hemorrhoid
What's going to happen is that the hemorrhoid is going to burst and it will indeed bleed for a very long time. Don't pop them yourself, let it pop itself. You'll be okay, you will not bleed out just try to let it clot up and only move when you absolutely need to. Most thrombosed hemorrhoids will pop but there's nothing you can do except wait it out and let your body clot the bleeding and heal the ruptured tissue. It's best if you keep off it and wait for things to get better. I currently have one and an bleeding and have to keep redressing the wound.

MY SUGGESTION- Keep up with the bleeding and use toilet paper as a lining to your underpants to A) gauge the bleeding and B) make the process a whole lot easier. Also be sure to use moist (I suggest Tucks pads), they will prevent you from popping it when you wipe and provide both comfort and pain relief. REmember to wipe slowey. Also don't worry, it will heal and you will not bleed out. If it bleeds for more than 3 or 4 days heavily though, I suggest like others have to call a doctor and see what his suggestion is. Don't freak out when I say this but, worst comes to worst they will cotorize(SP) the wound to stop your bleeding as a last resort. It will not become infected so long as you keep up with it. Also once you have your bowel movement, wipe with tucks wipes to ensure no fecal matter is left near the thrombosed region. Good luck bud.
|
12 >>