Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hemorrhoids Forum

Thrombosed external hemorrhoid recovery

My husband just had his walnut-sized external hemorroid lanced at the ER. What is the recovery time? The swelling and firmness of the tissue looks just like it did before it was lanced. The pain is better, but it is still quite large. When will the swelling go down? Will it ever appear normal again? Will there be a "skin tag" after this type of procedure?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Anonx14
|

replied June 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am not an expert on this, but I believe it will go down and flatten out...I have lived with these and my husband has had his share of problems along the line..Did they tell you to have him take hot baths to help with the healing?...I doubt that he will have a tag....Either way...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I had this happen to me about four months ago. the main hemorrhoid was lanced, the main clots were removed, they put a diaper on me and sent me home. I left a pool of blood in the car. The bleeding persisted for about 5-7 days and I was able to go to the gym in another three weeks. As far as a skin tag goes.... That area down there is far from perfect, who cares of a little scarring?
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Recovery
I had a thrombosed external hemorrhoid lanced, and I can tell you it will hasten recovery if done early on. I had mine lanced 3 days after it occurred. It was very painful and swollen after the procedure, but essentially cleared up after 7-11 days. The recovery typically involves pain and bleeding, but I feel it was worth it because my area is back to normal (no tag or bulge). You basically have to wear sanitary napkins for a week. The pain following the procedure was an 8 on a scale of 1-10 (the original hemorrhoid was a 5, but the pain quickly diminished with time, and by day 3 it was back to a 5, and at about 10 days there was little pain and swelling.
|