Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Throbbing, sensitive teeth...among other things

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I apologize for the long post this will be, but I believe it's all pertinent to what's going on with me right now, and I'm seriously at my wits end. I don't know what else to do or who to turn to.

For months, I've been having terrible pain in my teeth. It's a throbbing, pulsing, sensitivity-type pain that is almost always in my front teeth, both top and bottom (mostly top). This is often accompanied with a pulsing headache right around my sinuses, in my forehead, base of my nasal passage, and behind my eyes. This first began around Christmas of last year(!), shortly after I began taking oral birth control (Yaz) along with 100 mg daily of Spironolactone. I immediately discontinued the birth control, thinking both medications caused an extreme deficiency in magnesium, and began taking magnesium supplements. This is the only way I've been controlling the pain, but it hasn't eliminated it completely. I need to stay on 2 multivitamins a day plus 400 mg of magnesium for it to have any effect.

I've visited my dentist, and in April, he said my wisdom teeth should come out. Hoping this was the source of the pain, I had them removed in May. There's been no change in my pain and it has been a constant everyday. In addition, I've consistently felt this gnawing, empty, almost hunger-like feeling directly below my breastbone. An ENT prescribed omeprazole with the diagnosis of GERD, but while it worked for a while, as soon as I was finished with the prescription, it came right back, along with feelings like butterflies in my stomach that I try to control, but can't. It's an anxiety-type feeling and it makes the gnawing feeling worse. This feeling is constant and NEVER goes away, even when I eat or sleep. Since the beginning of these symptoms, I've also had mucus in my throat that I cough up constantly, every day. It's clear or white usually, but is very thick and stringy and often chokes me.

In addition to these symptoms, I've had the worst migraines of my life and incredible heartburn. I also find myself feeling nauseous quite often as well. I've experienced heart palpitations and a tightness in my chest that have lasted for days, if not longer, and a tingling numbness that lasted for about 2 hours in my right arm. I also have consistently been short of breath; I can never take a full, satisfying breath, so I end up sighing a lot.

I also have mental symptoms such as fatigue, depression, anxiety, extreme irritability, and I had my first panic attack ever while in the throes of the worst symptoms. Whether any or all of this was caused by whatever's ailing me or my desperation with all of this, I don't know.

I'm currently on antibiotics for a possible sinus infection, but the doctor told me it wasn't likely since this has been going on for almost a year. I've also recently had blood tests done, and everything was normal except for my white blood cell count. It was at 2.7 k/ul (normal is 4.0 - 10.0). It worried the doctor enough to have me come back to get it rechecked in about a month. I have no idea what that could indicate, other than a suppressed immune system.

I know that's a lot of information, but to put it succinctly, I have awful tooth pain that will not go away and is by far my biggest complaint. The gnawing feeling in my stomach/below my breastbone is a close second, though, as well as the feeling of not being able to take a full breath. Even when I yawn, I can't usually reach that peak where I feel like I've taken a satisfying breath. I feel like I've seen so many doctors about this, and nothing ever gets better. I'm so very quickly losing hope. The first few months this was happening, I don't think I did anything but cry, the pain and hopelessness was so terrible.

Please, any insight at all would be helpful. I can't get a doctor to spend more than 5 minutes listening to me and I'm scared.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
You sound like you have the exact same problem as me with the tooth pain. I have had it for a year and a half now, throbbing pain in my lower teeth along with sinus pressure. I have went to many doctors, ENT, dentists and naturopaths and have gotten no results. I was wondering if you have got anywhere with your pain? Hope your feeling better.
|

replied September 10th, 2012
San Diego Emergency Dentist
I would suggest visiting a dentist that does full cone beam scans, these can detect things that normal x-rays cannot, such as a possible infection, have you had root canals in the past? In San Diego we have On Demand Dentist, and they are an emergency dental clinic that does the full cone beam scans, but I would really suggest doing so to see if something deeper could be the culprit to your pain.
|

replied May 13th, 2013
Dear Nyxx,
It sounds to me like your tooth throbbing is a direct result of your anxiety. I too had tooth aches, test tightness, common panic attacks, and those sinus head aches you are describing. I would feel fatigued most of the day and at night the throbbing in my teeth would become so annoying I could rarely sleep more than a couple of hours. The good news is, it may not be anything serious! If you haven't gone to see someone about your anxiety I would. Even trying to do meditation techniques at night to help you relax might help. Of course, I would still see a dentist if your tooth aches are getting unbearable, but I definitely know from experience stress and anxiety can affect your body in all the ways you described. I hope this helps and you are feeling better. Good luck.
|

replied April 4th, 2014
Throbbing in front teeth
I'm having this throbbing pain as well. It has been going on for the past 4 days now. I'm in nursing school full time, and i work full time so I have a very busy scehdule. I know what you guys mean because I can barely get any sleep with this throbbing pain. Its in my lower front teeth, coming from the gums. IT'S VERY ANNOYING. GOD!! I will try to take your advice and get a full cone beam scan to see what the problem is if this contines. It's so annoying!! LOL
|

replied April 27th, 2014
Just read your post Nyxx. My daughter has anxiety and TMJ because of the anxiety. She wears night guards and takes medication for her anxiety, but also had to take medication at night so she would not clench her teeth. If you have not seen someone for your anxiety please look into it. This has helped my daughter a lot.
|