Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Throbbing pain in left arm, leg, and face with no diagnosis.

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
Hello. I am a 21 year old female (in otherwise great health) with some very confusing symptoms. I have seen numerous doctors and thus far, none have been able to offer a diagnosis. This is my first time posting in a forum, but I am looking for any input that might help me find an explanation for the constant and worrisome pain in my left arm, leg, and face.

In 2010 I began having shooting pain in my left arm. The pain was so severe that it actually led to my first panic attack. I was seen by a neurologist in June 2010 who sent me for an MRI of the brain and cervical spine. The results were normal and it was written off as 'phantom paresthesia.' I believe the neurologist was very quick to equate my symptoms to anxiety. At that time, I also began seeing a chiropractor, and I believe the pain started to ease somewhat. The chiropractor could not offer a reason why and found nothing wrong after an Xray of my spine. About three months after the first pains in my left arm, they seemed to disappear and shortly afterwards I completely forgot of the entire incident.

However, in May of 2012, I began feeling the pain in my left arm once again (on the outer portion of my arm, mostly below my elbow, although it radiates further downward towards my wrist). Now, the pain can also be felt in the outer part of my leg and well as in my left cheek and lip. My GP referred me to another neurologist to have an MRI performed.

This time the MRI of the brain and CS was done with contrast, and once again the results were normal. Three abnormalities were found, having to do with a disc, and nodules in my nasal cavity, as well as something to do with the development of the cerebellum, but the neurologist could not relate any of these findings to the pain (and sometimes numbness) that I have been experiencing. Subsequently, she sent me for an SSEP test which was normal.

I have had blood work done to test for celiac disease, B12 deficiency, lyme disease, and everything else the neurologist could think of: all normal. I also had allergy testing performed: no allergies.

I do not believe the pain is anxiety related because it is strictly on one side of my body. I have never felt it in my right extremities. I also get it when I first wake up in the morning and at times when I am having fun and completely relaxed.

The only time I can be assured that I will feel the pain if after waking up from a nap, in which case I feel pain in the back of my head of the left side. My first guess was that this was a pinched nerve, but the neurologist told me the MRI would show if that was the case, which it did not.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what this can be or what type of testing/ doctor I should turn to next? I was advised by the neurologist to 'just ignore it' but the pain is so severe at times that it interferes with my daily activities. Moreover, it has been occurring almost everyday now for the past month, lasting for several hours at a time. It comes and goes, but when it occurs, it lasts for several hours, relentlessly.

Thank you so much for reading.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 17th, 2012
I haven't been to a doctor yet..
as you described your pain, I am feeling the same right now in my left arm from my elbow down to my hand and the same spots on my left leg...I got concerned and googled right away, of course I fee like looking it up only makes being a hypochondriac that much more. I'm only a year older than you but I'm worried, I was concerned about heart attack or something like it but I don't see why my left leg would be involved in that... if you get any advice or get any new findings in your search amongst doctors people post
|

replied November 13th, 2012
same pain...me 2...diagnosis!!
i have had the same symptoms, doctors have told me i have first of all tennis elbow (first to turn up about 3 months ago) and now just been diagnosed with sciatica too..pain in left bum cheek stemming right down leg to nearly ankle.have trouble sitting and sleeping as painful and have to wear a tubigrip throughout day for support of wrist.ask up doctors if this is possible? if it is, good news is that it does get better for majority of ppl, bad news is that u have to grin and bear it for up to a year... x from sarah kay
|