Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

throbbing and bulging neck vein

within the past 3 weeks ive developed a problem with the vein/artery on the right side of my neck. It started acting up and throbbing and pulsing quite violently whenever I did generally intense cardio like hockey or timed running, but it always went away once i stopped running. Now a few weeks later I feel a vein on the surface of my skin and also a sort of bump near the vein. It was bothering me even without doing cardio for a few days but since I've stopped doing any sort of cardio or weight lifting it hasn't been acting up but I can still feel it in my neck.

I just started going to the gym 2 weeks ago and since then it's definately gotten worse, whether its related to the strain of lifting weights i dont know but it's definately restricting me from doing weights or cardio which is something I have just signed up for including the gym and hockey.

Does anyone know what this condition may be? Im getting an ultrasound on my carotid area on friday but I thought id ask on here before that anyways,

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ojloaf
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

From the history provided, it seems that you have a impression that there is something wrong with the neck veins.

It is very common for the neck veins which, being the nearest to the heart, draining most of the blood from the upper body to the heart, to become prominent during physical exercise.

In case of symptoms like pain, dizziness, redness, it might indicate thrombosis or inflammatory dilation in the veins.

A doppler sonography is the best method to know the exact cause of your symptoms.

You might relax for a while and restrict your exercises, for a while until the tests are done and the results are out.

I hope this helps.

|

replied February 16th, 2012
I have the same problem with a vein or arterie in my neck...sometimes it appears to have a growth the size of a marble....then gets a little larger...then just goes away. Sometimes there is some evident pulsating in and out..in the same area. Sometimes there is some acheing? in the area.
|

replied May 15th, 2013
I feel the same now and Im wondering what is wrong with my neck veins. I didnt do any cardio or exercise. I was just at the office working..

Did you find out what causes the swelling of the veins? thanks
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vascular and Circulatory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.