Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Throat feels swollen, choking feeling.

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I have been dealing with this issue since March 2011, it is now August 2011. It all started when I started to feel like my throat was swelling up when I took a shower in the morning or at night. It then progressed to me waking up with a swollen throat and going to bed with a swollen throat and during the day I would be ok. This would go on for a couple of months until I went to my primary doctor mid June and he suggested it may be anxiety and stress and suggeste I go to see a psychiatrist which I did. The psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro 10mg, I took this for about two weeks, only taking a half a pill the first week like suggested on the prescription bottle and then take the full 10mg. Then when I took the first full pill I slept the whole day. This frightened me so I went back to taking the half pill for another week and a half and tried a full pill again after and everything was fine. Then mid July my throat swelled up fully for 3 full days. Nothing would make it go down. I was afraid to shower without someone in the house to make sure I didn't pass out. Since those 3 days passed everything has taken a turn for the worse! Meanwhile I was on vacation to see my boyfriend in Toronto, Canada. My boyfriend also told me that the first night before i had a swollen throat all day i was breathing very very heavily in my sleep. I would also have to take serious big breathes to feel slightly better almost every 15 minutes. I am now back in NJ. The anxiety pills haven't helped bring down the swelling at all. When I went back to the psychiatrist he put me on another medication in addition to the other one because the Lexapro killed my libido. I have decided to go back to taking JUST half of the Lexapro because it does help me fall asleep easier at night.

I recently saw an ENT doctor who did a thorough exam in his office including putting a thin looking camera down from my nostril into my throat. Told me to take a couple a breathes and say EEEE to see my vocal cord function. He said everything was fine and was stumped. He said it may be acid reflux and to cut coffee completely and to watch my diet. He also suggested not to eat anything 3 hours before bedtime. He also prescribed me dexilant 60mg for acid reflux. I have not tried it but will start tomorrow.

I am now experimenting with different foods and drinks to see what triggers it. One thing for sure is milk and coffee. But even if I don't have coffee or milk or anything acidic my throat always swells up in the shower and at night. In the shower it's almost like I cannot breathe so I have to stick my head out of the shower to catch my breathe. By the end of the shower I have to keep the doors open to breathe. What the hell is going on??? I feel so relaxed when I'm in the shower. And then bam my throat gets swollen and it's all down hill from there.

Also, on days like today when it's swollen almost the whole day it's so hard for me to breathe that I get so tired and exhausted. I'm dizzy and my eyesight has been getting blurry.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2011
Were you having any other symptoms before the onset of the throat swelling in march ?
|

replied August 18th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
take cool showers and put a fan in the bath
|

replied August 30th, 2011
I also went to doctors for years and they couldn't find out the source. Food allergies. Mine was honey, and am gluten intolerant. Also went to a chiropractor who straightened my back and felt as I was breathing for the first time in my life!! I don't know why it wasnt' diagnosed before, but being gluten intolerant,(celiac disease) can become nasty if not detected on time...
|

replied March 1st, 2013
swollen and sore throat
Thanks - i to have been suffering from a swollen sore throat. mine all started approximately 6 months ago when i was diagnosed with whooping cough, i have been to the doctors several times, i have had the camera down my throat with no problems detected, my thyroid has also been tested - with no problems there either. my voice
has also not been the same, it is starting to become a little tiresome, as sometimes the i really have to concentrate to swallow. i have thought i should go the chiropractor,but definetely will now to see if that will help me...many thanks
map
|