Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Throat cancer and smoking

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have been smoking for 5 years and i have been in the process of quitting most of this past year.. I only smoke like 2-6 cigarettes a day sometimes none.. but this past month i quit.. i quit a few months ago to but went back to 2-5 a day. Now i've stopped smoking again. I also have acid reflux/gerd. I want to know if it is possible for me to have cancer if i quit smoking and change my life style today. What are the possibilities that it is too late. I know i'm paranoid.. but i have alot of negative symptoms.. sore throat, chest pains, fatigue, nausea, etc.. alot of these are associated with my hearburn but im afraid that i've got throat cancer or something. How long does it take to get throat cancer? my hearburn only started the past few years but its been like 3 years.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Although, acid reflux and throat cancer, can share some symptoms (voice hoarseness, sore throat), I'm sure that all of your symptoms are resulting from your acid reflux issue.
The most common throat cancer symptoms are: a progressive onset of hoarseness with some progressive difficulty in breathing, complaints of sore throat and lesions in and around the mouth, difficulty swallowing, earache and loss of hearing, and even the onset of frequent nosebleeds.
According to your smoking history you don't seem like a candidate for a throat cancer.
The risk group for throat cancer are people older than 50 years, heavier smokers, especially ones that consume chewing tobacco, and with an excessive alcohol consumption.
It's good to know that chronic reflux, in some patients is associated with Barrett's esophagitis (inflammation of esophagus) , a condition that may lead to esophagus cancer.
Treat your heartburn and try to avoid its triggers!

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied February 13th, 2009
Your symptoms are from the Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease. You should stop smoking because that increases acid production. The chest pain is a result of heartburn. You may try to see your doctor regarding the mode of treatment for your GERD.
|

replied April 2nd, 2011
ive been smoking for the past three years...when i first started, it was about a half a cig a day, but this last year i smoke about 3-10 a day. i just woke up, and like every morning i have to spit out the buil up in my throat, but this morning the first flem spit was filled with blood. so i hacked up more flim and spi it out and no more blood. that was the first time i have ever spit of flem that had blood in it and it scares the heck out of me. i have had a sore throat for about a week now, any ideas on what this could be?
|

replied May 15th, 2012
im 17 ive been smoking for a few yrs now and i have asthma lately ive been feeling really fatigued i cant eat without throwing it up i look in my throat and i see a lump its not my tonsils its more in the middle and i have chest pains my neck is sore and idk what it could be i went to the hospital and they said it could be tonsilitis but whats the lump in the middle of my throat that is visible to me amd why cant i eat? and why am i always tired and my neck sore it just doesnt add up im sooo scaredd!!
|

replied May 15th, 2012
I'm 17 iivebeen smoking for a few yyrsnow and i have asthma lately iivebeen feeling really fatigued i cant eat without throwing it up i look in my throat and i see a lump its not my tonsils its more in the middle and i have chest pains my neck is sore and iidkwhat it could be i went to the hospital and they said it could be ttonsilitisbut whats the lump in the middle of my throat that is visible to me aamdwhy cant i eat? and why am i always tired and my neck sore it just ddoesntadd up I'm sooo scaredd!!
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
smoking
im 13 and ive been taking puffs of cigarettes, my friends usually give it to me, they say i dont do it propaly ive had a minor sore throat lately what does this mean ?
|

replied November 24th, 2012
this is the exact problem with me and im 13, im worried and my throat is soooooo sore it hurts so much that i feel sick like im going to throw up
|

replied November 24th, 2012
this is the exact problem with me and im 13, im worried and my throat is soooooo sore it hurts so much that i feel sick like im going to throw up
|

replied January 15th, 2013
my advise kid is that you dont smoke no more because once you smoke at such a young age and you start to get this dry burn in your throat it can be an infection
|

replied November 25th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks for this.
|

replied March 6th, 2013
Douches. You know it's bad for you. Just stop. I started ten years ago at the age of 24. I now hate it but can't seem to quit. It affects every part of you life. From phlegm to low energy to pains in chest to racing heart to smelly clothes to money burned to holes in clothes and car upholstery to stained teeth to etc etc etc! It's a bad idea for sure friends. Peace.
|