Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Throat and chest tightness (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Can anxiety cause throat and chest tightness all day? I have this feeling from the time I wake up until I go back to sleep. Especially while I am eating and talking. I feel as if I am always running out of oxygen. I am at the point where I am starting to worry that I have something other than anxiety. After eating, talking or walking the throat tightness seem to get alot worse and I also get very dizzy with massive headaches. Is this all anxiety? I can't understand how eating makes me anxious. I love food. ALways have. And cannot understand how eating can cause me to be anxious. I will appreciate any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nenegrace
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2009
Supporter
morning
Anxiety can make you have many awful feelings all of which you have talked about and more..Have you been diagnosed with anxiety? If not please call your doctor and let them know how you are feeling..If yes and worse let your doctor know..You may need to be on medication to help you for a while or you may need to just talk to someone close..
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 17th, 2009
lump in throat feeling/ chest tightness
Hi! I've been experiencing very similar symptoms for the last year. I feel like I have a lump in my throat/neck and chest tightness which is always worse or appears after eating. It feels like someone is pushing on the spot/indention where my neck meets my chest. I often feel winded and have a hard time talking or reading to my kids. It's always better in the morning and then worse later in the day. It comes and goes throughout the day, and some days are better than others. I also have an undiagnosed condition which I am treating with prednisone, but I'm not sure if all of this is related or not. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be wonderful. This is making me crazy. How do I get rid of it? I do wonder if it could be anxiety???
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Hi< I know exactly what you mean and how you are feeling.
I am sorry to hear that you feel the same way.. I have been to many doctors, have had many CT scans, MRI scans, blood tests, echocardiogram, chest x-ray, ECG, tilt test to measure my blood pressure and only God knows what else. All showing nothing and with no real diagnosis. I used to be a carefree very energetic mum that juggled everything and not only my kids but everyone elses and now I cannot function because of theses symptoms. My GP keeps on telling me I have an anxiety disorder and it will get better. I have tried several anti depressants that have had adverse affects and caused bigger headaches, so I never give them a chance and just stop taking them. I have been going through this now for a year. It started off with a sphenoid sinus infection and has ended up with all these symptoms. My newest symptom is that my skin is irrated very easily. All I have to do is put on or take off clothing and I get red patches all over my face.. I constantly feel like someone is constricting my airway passage or squashing my lungs. I have found that having massages helps at times. I have tried meditation and yoga classes. Sometimes I come out good, sometimes nothing helps. Everyone that I speak with that have gone through some sort of anxiety disorder, tell me that once you accept the symptoms are anxiety you do not notice them as much. I haven't yet reached that point. I keep on believing I have some sort of underlying disease which is killing me. Please keep in contact and if I come across anything helpful I will let you know. For now good luck and remember you are not alone.
|

replied August 27th, 2009
Same symptoms here, guys. I started experiencing tightness in my airways and mild wheezing last fall. The symptoms grew worse over a period of a few months, started improving in January and returned full force last month. I feel pretty good in the morning but get worse over the course of the day but I sleep well (which suggests it isn't asthma). Eating triggers several hours of discomfort so I am reluctant to eat now and have lost weight. I have the skin thing going on too. I get small red patches kind of like hives throughout the day in response to washing my hands, touching something, etc. They don't itch and they disappear in an hour. I started taking zyrtec which has helped with the skin part but not the breathing.

My doctor is convinced it's anxiety but like Gina, I'm so worried there's something more sinister going on. I had blood work, a pulmonary function test and chest xray last year which were normal, no other tests. I hope it's anxiety because if it is, I am hopeful I can learn to manage it.
|

replied September 6th, 2009
hey
I have been experiencing anxiety 4 a few years and still can not accept it, i believe i have sometthing terrible wrong with me and am going to die any minute. it sounds crazy i no but i cant stop the thoughts. I have been to doctors many times, lungs always perfectly clear, had ECGs, chest X rays and blood tests and nothing shows up. Now everytime i eat my chest is so tight, feels crushed n throat tightness, feels like glass stuck in throat sometimes. Can anybody put my mind at rest? i am only 23, and have one child, i feel like it is taking over.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
anxiety?
Hi, I am also young I am 24 and I have been feeling this same way for about a year now. I too think that something is killing me and I probably won't be alive next year. Every one tells me it anxiety, I want to just believe them, but I just can't accept it for an answare to the way I feel.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Anxiety
I have a book called "the handbook of self healing", which I got on eBay. If you can get a hold of it, read the section on the nervous system. Anxiety is the beginning of so many ailments, and this book gives you tools how to beat anxiety naturally. It also explains the physiological details of anxiety and how it does its harm. Truly enlightening, and it is in your power to heal yourself.
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
I have the lump in the throat, throat & chest tightness & shortness of breath. Went to the ER where they did a chest/lung scan, blood work, etc. Everything is fine. A few days later I started getting really bad heartburn and burning in my throat/ears. Turns out it's GERD. Have any of you looked into this? It's a possibility. Sometimes I think stress is what causes it so I think I may have anxiety problems as well but it's definitely severe acid reflux.
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
I am feeling the same things, it's really annoying. I get an extremely tight throat and chest and sometimes makes me feel nauseas but i seem to have to burp alot to provide temporarily relief but then just comes back in the next few hours, i have really bad digestion too and can't seem to digest anything that's solid lately so have lost weight from not eating much, my parents are convinced that it's anxiety but how do you treat anxiety? i am only 15 and these symptoms are killing me.

please help
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
i have all these symptoms had ecg blood works chest x ray
started with my blood count being very low but its back to normal now thank god but the heart thumps and scary feelings are still there so scary i like the other person feel like i,m going to die any moment ... think about it 24/7 lets get this sorted out .............
|

replied January 24th, 2011
Hey guys. I have had the same exact thing you all are talking about. Shortness of breath, chest pressure, throat pressure, thumping heart, rapid heart beat, unstable blood pressure, headaches, and many more. I sleep like a baby, and like the rest wake up ok but progressively get worse until at night I sometimes have trouble falling asleep. I had a CT, turned out ok. blood work ok, kidney test ok, blood pressure monitor ok. As I speak I am on a Holter monitor which monitors my heart activity for 24 hours. I am going tomorrow to take it off and see the results. I am goign to have chest tests done to be sure if nothing is found because I do smoke 1pack/day. Will keep updated for all the people in the same boat.
|

replied April 1st, 2011
I just had a total thyroidectomy on Mach 8th and had a great experience before and after surgery but have since had some side effects and been to the ER and urgant care twice each.I am feeling tingling almost like sleepy hands and feet and a tightness in my chest and all of the times I have been to the doctors they say that the EKG and blood work are fine but that I have anxiety and am hyperthyroid still even after my surgery. I have had a personal emergency with my brother which makes sense that I could have anxiety right now but I still have this overwhelming feeling like something else is wrong and cant get past this. I am a mother of three young children and although I need to lose some weight, I have been in good physical condition. Now i have no real appetite and have to force myself so eat and when I do I feel sick so I am sure I am losing weight now anyways. I know chest tightness can be caused by so many things but I wish someone could just clear me for sure from everything and get me on an anxiety medicine that makes me feel better so I can get back to being myself again. Does anyone have any advice? Please!
|

replied April 6th, 2011
I can't believe i just stumbled across this thread! Finally, people who I can relate to!!! I've had the red patches/hives on and off for years now. recently they have gotten extremely bad and even painful. i also occasionally have swollen ears, lips, tongue but never throat. my dr put me on prednisone and suggested it may be a food allergy that i developed (i'm 2Cool. since being on the prednisone i still get the hives just not as bad. i've just started to experience the lump in throat sensation and it's wearing me out! it's not all the time, but when it's there i feel like i can't swallow. my chest isn't tight and i can breathe perfectly fine, just takes forever to swallow. i don't think i'm going to find an answer, but it's nice to know i'm not alone!
|

replied January 14th, 2012
Hives
Hydroxyzine helps me with hives. I take it every day to prevent them now.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied April 13th, 2011
I too get this tightning in my chest with an annoying pain. I feel like someone is sitting on my chest taking my breath away. It is all day long, sometimes it makes me feel anxious, and then I get stomach issues. I can't take it anymore I feel like there is something always wrong with me. It is taking over my life and making me miserable. my family thinks it is stress, i have 3 small children and no relaxation, i am always on the go, and I do feel stressed the majority of the day.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Hello, how are ya?
A month ago I started feeling a strange chest pain. Under my armpit,around my nipple, rib cage and numbness in my arm.
I was freaking out thinking that I was having a heart attack "I'm 29". So I drove myself to the hospital and the doctor did some tests, EKG,xray etc...He said everything was normal and that I was having an anxiety/ panic attack.
I started going to the gym everyday and drinking a glass of wine before dinner. I feel so much better now. Not a 100% but getting there! The doctor said every time I feel the anxiety coming I should take 50 mlg of Benedryl...It makes me sleepy and calm.
|

replied October 25th, 2011
anxiety or gerd
It sounds like you guys have Gerd. I have throat and chest tightness right now and I know I have Gerd. The feeling of breathlessness is also a common symptom. I don't have the lump in my throat but this is also common. When you feel these symptoms, take a strong antacid and see if it goes away.
|

replied November 9th, 2011
hi everyone, i have had every symptom and still there are days that are worse than others. what helped me immensly was the Linden Method. I highly recommend trying it. I never thought it would work, but it has for me. I was really bad with my anxiety that I could not leave my house without having a panic attack. Now I can go out, and enjoy my life. today is not such a good day, feeling anxious. I try not to give any of my symptoms any credibility...at the end of the day we are all responsible for our feelings. we just have to believe it.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
Hello people,
I have had very similar symptoms. Starting back in September or October this year I was experiencing the tightness in my chest and the "lump" in my throat. I don't have insurance or income so I just delt with it. In November I went to the ER with severe tightness in chest, sweating. After four hours of testing "everything was normal."

Again in December I went to the ER with chest tightness, lump in the throat, couldn't get a full breath, burning in the chest/neck area and stomach very upset after eating. Again, the tests showed nothing.

I have found some relief from different teas from the natural items aisle at the food store. I have found by adding ginger whether dry added to foods or grated into cooking and licorice do provide temporary relief for me.

Now, after reading the posts here, I'm thinking about possible anxiety issue.
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Chest pain , tightness , heart fast ,
Hey everyone for the past year I have had a tingle sensation in my leg and had a feeling of something like a lump in my throt with my chest pain & tightness and there are times I feel like crawling out of my body the feeling of I'm shaking I have had bloodwork , ct scans , MRI , X-rays you name it I had it done more then once no lie in a year I have had it done prob 3 times each my doc was tired of me by the end of this year said your fine stop !!!!! No more test it's anxiety !! I said NO !!! I'm dieing there's something not right well after more visit I started taking ( celexa ) after 3 weeks everything was GONE !!! I got off it for 2 months after taking it for 4 months and it came back all the same feelings like before now I'm back on it again !!! I know how it feels trust me my family thought I was crazy and I was thinking it too but I have kids job husband to think about and it has saved my life !!!
|

replied January 18th, 2012
Also had neck pain !!!!!!
|

replied February 7th, 2012
I've been having this tightness in my chest this past week and I was convinced I was having a heart attack. I just got online to look up symptoms and I came accross this forum. I do feel a little better now after reading your entrees but not much. I dont have a lump in my throat..at least not now. A couple of years ago I was having a hard time swallowing when I learned that my thyroid was inlarged due to a hyper thyroid. The doctor was just about to kill it off and put me on meds for the rest of my life and asked me to take one more blood test. Thank God it went back to normal so I did'nt need to go to any extremes or take meds. They said it can happen after an infection...like sinus etc.
Hope this tightness goes away soon. I can't stop thinking about it.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
12 >>