Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

thinning hair

Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
Let's see here... I've always been too stubborn to go to the doctor, and I still kind of am, but I just came to the realization that I am in pretty rough shape.

I'm only 20 and my hair is thinning. It's pretty disappointing to look in the mirror and see small patches of scalp at my age.

I can't gain a single pound. I've always had a pretty fast metabolism but I'm 6'2" and I only weigh 130 pounds... I can eat bigger kids off the table and I don't gain a pound. I've even stopped exercising... although that is more due to winter than anything. A yearish ago I weighed a solid 160, when my girlfriend broke up with me, I somehow lost 30 of those pounds....(not on purpose) and have been 130 ever since. No matter what I do or don't do, I stay the same weight.

Since said breakup, I've pretty much been depressed a majority of the time. That is the main cause of it, but it is due to other things too... 3 family member deaths plus I was already SO crushed about the girlfriend thing.

I used to be the epitome of calmness, I was like a stone... but nowadays my heart will start POUNDING at the drop of a hat, especially in the morning. There have been times in the past few weeks where my chest area will actually hurt... again especially in the morning. I've become a chronic worrier. I worry about everything, and it usually will get my heart racing. I was never like this before.

Worst of all, I cannot sleep. I've always kind of been a weird sleeper but lately it has just hit rock bottom. I have a hard time falling asleep before 2 am, and when I do, I wake up within two hours or so. Even if I stay awake for a whole 24 hour period, if I go to bed before 2 am, I will wake up within a couple of hours. When I do manage to finagle myself on to a normal sleeping pattern, it only lasts a few days and usually ends in a 13+ hour crash. Today was one of those days.. I went to bed at 2 am and woke up at 4 PM. Regardless of sleep, I am basically always tired. This really gets in the way of life.

Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi and welcome to ehealthforum!
Do you, usually, experience fatigue at the end of the day, but have trouble sleeping?
Do you feel hotter than those around you?
Have you noticed trembling of your hands along with hard or irregular heartbeat?

All of your symptoms are very suggestible for hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid condition)

Waiting for your post!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied March 29th, 2008
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I actually get tired like in the middle of the day. At night is when my energy picks up and I'm rearing to go. I can fall asleep pretty easily. Getting up in the morning is a different story.

I also usually feel colder than everyone else, haha.

I have noticed trembling, though right now it seems to be fine. Very hard and fast heartbeat has become a regular occurance though, especially when I get out of bed in the morning.

Thanks again!
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Do you often become irritable and easily upset?
Have you noticed increasing in frequency of your bowel movements lately?
Are you experiencing breathlessness with chest pain?
Do you feel muscle weakness?
|

replied April 1st, 2008
Hmm. Nah, I'm a pretty calm dude. However, I have been kind of... emotional lately.

No increase in bowel movements. Once a day as usual, maybe twice a day if I eat a lot of fruit. Definitely an appetite increase though.

No breathlessness, chest pain around my heart area occasionally though.

No muscle weakness.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Symptoms of thyroid gland disorder usually develop gradually and symptoms aren't recognized until they become more severe. This means the symptoms may continue for weeks or months before patients fully realize that they are sick.
Your symptoms for me are very suggestive for thyroid gland disorder.
It'll be good to test for thyroid hormones level.
Have you been done a regular blood test for blood cells count recently?
|

replied April 7th, 2008
Nah, I can't even remember the last time I went to a doctor.

I guess I probably should look into that??
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Please, follow my advice!
Waiting for your post and your test results!
Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied May 28th, 2008
Hey again

I still have not seen a doctor, but I'm getting closer and closer to the point where I think I should.. My hair seems to be falling out faster than ever, I find myself having to urinate rather often, and I am still eating a TON and not gaining any weight.

Also, I seem to be getting more and more depressed, to the point of where sometimes my whole perception of life seems... off. Can that be a symptom of thyroid gland disorder?

Thanks
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you often feel excessive thirst?
Are you experiencing blurry vision?

Frequent urination, extreme hunger, unusual weight loss, increased fatigue, losing hair are all symptoms of diabetes.
Depression may develop because of stress but also may result from the metabolic effects of diabetes on the brain.
Please, visit your doctor and ask to be checked for blood sugar level.

You can, also, ask for thyroid hormones test, because thyroid gland disorders are known to cause hair loss and also symptoms of mental disorders, as depression.
Actually, many people are treated with antidepressants for years, because were overlooked and undiagnosed with thyroid gland disorder.

Please, take some action!
Everything can be solved and you'll feel much better!
Thinking of you!
Marija
|

replied May 29th, 2008
Hmm. Man I hope I don't have diabetes, I'm only 20!

How rare is it for a skinny 20 year old to get diabetes?

Anyway, luckily I don't feel excessive thirst very often... in fact, I have noticed that I really don't drink as much as I probably should. No blurry vision either. I'm not quite losing weight either, in fact I have gained 8 pounds since the last time I checked the scale.

The two main symptoms are really the hair loss and the depression-esque ones. I haven't had the beating heart or anything like that in quite some time... in fact, I have felt pretty good otherwise. I have even been sleeping fairly well.

I can't really afford to go to the doctor, so I don't really know what to do... ?

ps. one thing I have noticed lately, is that if I am sitting down for a while and I get up too fast, I will be dizzy for a moment, it's kind of like a head rush?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Supporter
This describes my husband to a T!

Thinning hair, thinning body, shaky, moody, sleeplessness....

Maybe he should check out his thyroid too!!
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
So, I guess the first scenario, thyroid gland problem, can be checked if you can afford the doctor's visit.
Until then, no one can offer you a 100% true diagnosis.
We are just talking about possibilities, that can be proved or excluded with tests and examinations.

Depression may or may not cause hair loss, but the treatments for depression (some antidepressants) can cause hair loss.
Are you taking some?

I can just give you an advice to take care about food you take. Food rich in vitamins and minerals will help you with both, depression and hair loss.
There are many studies that have concluded that, B vitamins - especially B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid, and the minerals magnesium, sulfur and zinc, taken with food rich in them or like supplements, improves health and growth of hair.

Thinking of you!
Well wishes!
Marija
|

replied May 31st, 2008
No, I am not taking antidepressants nor would I ever be coaxed into such a thing.

but thank you for all your help - I suppose I will try my best to arrange a doctor's visit.
|
Users who thank Nerak47 for this post: MandMs 

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!
Visiting your doctor must be your most important thing.
Please, inform me about new informations after the doctor's visit.

Thinking of you!
|