Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Thinking about dying (Page 1)

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
Im 23 and i cant stop thinking about dieing, i can be sitting here and i can think about what if my parents die i will never see them again,
It upsets me dearly thinking about this and i would love to also i keep thinking what happens to me when i die?

Is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper oopsagain
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2009
I understand that you are preoccupied with thoughts of death. While some thinking about death is a normal part of being human, if it is terribly upsetting and interfering with your life, it is something you may want to seek help for. By speaking to a therapist or psychologist, you can try to understand why you're having these obsessions and what you can do to feel better.

|

replied August 25th, 2009
Experienced User
While by no means am I a health care professional, I have to agree with Raquel. Thoughts of the afterlife are "normal" but not to the extent where they dominate your thoughts in an obsessive compulsive fashion or OCD. However, you may be at a point in life where you really are wanting to know what happens after you pass on to the second life. Actually kuddos for being so young and wanting to know now. I would talk to friends and seek their counsel if you have friends that are Christian and non-Christians alike talk to them. Do some research and decide for yourself. But there is "hope" in life after death. I for one am Christian and I thank Jesus for his sacrafice upon the cross when he conquerored death and that there's life after we really die. Our spirits were designed by God to last forever! But you have to decide for yourself. I hope this helps!
|

replied September 15th, 2009
That is so weird, i am 23 and i am having exactly the same problem. I lie in bed at night and can't sleep because all i think about is me dying or loved ones dying and it makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sorry if that is discouraging but i just wanted to let you know your not alone.
|

replied January 31st, 2014
exact problem is with me too since few days..n dont know what to do
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
I'm only 20 & I feel the same way.This just recently started happening with me. There are somedays when i'm not thinking about it, but then it pops up again.It can be pretty scary at times. The thing that helps me to keep my mind off of dying is reading a book, playing games or talking with my friends and family. These things can be pretty helpful.
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2009
I have been feeling the same way ...... try to keep your mind focused on some thing other than this..... work, play, chat with friends let your mind forget about this... these are the things tat i do and it helps me .....
|

replied October 20th, 2009
Thoughts of dying
I am 50 and have been worried about dying for years, probably since i was about 20. I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for many years, until 9 months ago. I took Diazepam for years, to overcome the panic of certain situations. I went to see my doctor for another prescription and was horrified when I was told I had a new doctor. The new doctor listened to my requests for more diazepam and then said, I think you are depressed. She put me on Citolpram for 6 months and it really worked! During this time I had no fears of dying. I have recently stopped taking the Citalopram and now the thoughts of dying have returned. I reckon anxiety disorders can lead to these thoughts of dying. I think I will ask for some more Citalopram and see what happens.
|

replied January 29th, 2010
i'm 27 and wish i would die, i think of it all the time...... I wanna see the other side, i don't feel i belong here on earth
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
Since i turned 22 3 months ago i can''t stop thinking about dying and it scares me an i can''t do anything to stop it, i can''t stop thinking about my grandmother dying cos shes like a mother to me, i dont want to dye an me and my brother reli on my nana only family member we have
|

replied April 2nd, 2010
Since i turned 22 3 months ago i can''t stop thinking about dying and it scares me an i can''t do anything to stop it, i can''t stop thinking about my grandmother dying cos shes like a mother to me, i dont want to dye an me and my brother reli on my nana only family member we have
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Fear of Dying
I have exactly the same problem, I''m 19 nearing 20 now and I cannot stop thinking of death. It''s not the process of death that I fear, the physical pain involved is not something which scares me very much, it''s what happens after which scares me shitless.
I can''t sleep at night, I have panic attacks and severe anxiety during the day, which often leads to physical sickness. I haven''t eaten properly in weeks, as I cannot concentrate on food. I''ve become distant from my friends and the rest of reality, sometimes it''s as though I''m watching things through a dream.
Because of it, I have been signed off of work for two weeks and I''m unable to look around at other people now, without asking myself the question how the hell, is everyone able to walk round acting so normally, when like me, they too know they will die someday,

It''s hard to explain how this condition has made me feel, but it''s like, I''m grieving already for things which I haven''t yet lost, when I look around at people like my mum, I''m filled with unimaginable sadness and panic. I understand this is by no means a way to live my life, but what absolutely scares me too my core, is the fact that nothing can ever stay the same; no matter how much we will it to. To me, it just feels as though one day I''m going to blink, and my whole life will have rushed past my eyes.

Sorry for the rambling answer, just thought I would see if anyone else felt the same.
To anyone else who has this though, although sadly there is no cure for death, seek medical help! I have started counselling, which has done the world of good- it really helps to be able to talk things through with people. Death is such a taboo subject, sometimes it''s hard to find people willing to talk about it.

Hope this helps x
|
Users who thank somoore13 for this post: hannahf  27tulips 

replied April 9th, 2012
this just started happening to me. i tried talking to my boyfriend about it but i think i scared him with the way i was describing how I'm feeling. the feelings are so weird and i find it hard to concentrate. nothing around me feels real nothing seem like it's truly there and it's creeping me out.
|

replied February 14th, 2013
exactly how i feel..
|

replied July 30th, 2012
I'm 18 and I just started feeling the exact same way. I hate it but I just start fearing what happens after you die. I take meds for depression but it doesn't seem to help lately. I see a psychologist and i'm going to talk to him. I can't stand the feeling. But I know exactly how you feel. Have you gotten over it yet?
|

replied December 3rd, 2013
hey how did that going speaking to a psychologist? as I am also 18 but have been thinking about this literally since I can remember I reckon since I was like 5..
|

replied August 14th, 2012
I am feeling exactly the same way too. I really cant bear it and feel like I am going to throw up every time I think about it. I cant believe we have to die and have no control over where, when or why it happens. One day were alive and then dead. and no one knows what happens. where do we go, why do we say good bye to people we have spent time building relationships with and love very deeply. I dont want to say goodbye to anyone. I really cant bear these thoughts at all.
|

replied January 31st, 2014
EXACTLYYY..SAME FEELING M FACING since few days..really dont know what to do..is this normal or should i go to psychatrist..my mother has ocd..is ocd heridetry?? m i also suffering from ocd?
|

replied September 8th, 2010
I'm 21 and having the exact same problem. Been going on for a number of months now. Glad to know I'm not alone, but it does still scare me so much that i end up in tears a lot of nights. I haven't let it consume my whole life because I refuse to, but I've still got that horrible set of thoughts at the back of my mind waiting to release themselves when all is quiet and I haven't got much to do. Generally at night but it can come randomly during the day too. But some days I'm so happy, it's really weird. I'm generally a positive person but I'm also very loving and care so much about others around me and it brings me to tears that these people including myself will be gone soon, and i'm so worried about what will happen after. I have hope but I'm still unsure. I guess all of us are, but I wish I didn't have these thoughts so regularly. Don't even know how or why it started....although I have my inclings.

Sorry for the ramble, just needed to get this out and I hope you find comfort knowing you're not the only one just as I did.

Tips I try and use in my life- Try your best to enjoy every moment of life because I'm sure if there's a God he didn't design us to be miserable everyday, otherwise I'm sure there'd be no point to life. This is what keeps me from going off the edge. Also read the book 'The Secret' it helps quite a bit with positivity. Try to read some religous books about the religion you were born into or any that interest you, and try to look up some inspiring and positive quotes, These things keep me sane and hopeful. Also laughter and sharing funny stories with friends and spending much time as possible with your loved ones..try not to stay angry at people for too long too..my pet rabbit and hamster also make me happy x
|

replied March 18th, 2011
I'm 13 and I have this, I really don't know what to do. I've had this before when my Stepfather's Mum went in to hospital because she had a stroke, however this was not when it started. It started after I watched the film 'Inception'. It kind of messed with my mind and I instantly started thinking, not about how I die but what will happen when I'm dead and what I will do when my Mum/Sister/Gran/Dad/Stepdad/Aunt/Uncle die. I just want to get it out if my head, I could be depressed. I read an article saying that gifted people think about this, I am not trying to boast but I go to a grammar school and this my be why. I was thinking about hypnotism and anti-depression pills but I doubt I would be able to do either of them seeing as I am a minor. I told my Mum about this when I first started thinking about this and she comforted me, It helped. But within the last 3 weeks it has started again and I just want it to stop...I love my life and wouldn't change a thing but whenever I think about this I just can't concentrate on the good things, just the bad. Sport takes my mind off it but then when I stop playing sport the thinking about death just comes back.
|

replied March 18th, 2011
yoe are saw yang too think about die...you most leave your life and everi beautifol moment in live ...dont think aboth death
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 30th, 2011
I'm 15 now and for the past few years like every night I constantly think about death. I think about me dying and how I'm going to die. Then once I stop thinking about me dying I think about one of my parents or brothers dying. It's very very upsetting because I don't want them to die I know its gonna happen sooner or later but th thoughts always there. I know this is gonna sound weird but also every night in my head I can see and image of my parents at they're work (they both work in a steel mill)
And I can picture different types of deaths that could happen to them then once that image is in my head it starts to play like a movie and there's no stop button once its over it just reminds itself and plays back over and over and over till I cry myself to sleep every single night for the past few years. Like 20 minutes ago I imaged my mom falling down steps at her work and busting her head open and her just bleeding to death and I'd never be able to tell her that I loved her again. So I just got on this trying to find a solution on how to stop thinking about it and nothing really can help me. I know i have sick thoughts but I'm not a sick person I'm a normal 15 year old boy that has a great home a great life and a wonderful family. I just want all my thoughts to disappear and to never come back.
|

replied September 30th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
I've almost died about seven or eight times. Three fairly severe head injuries, woke up in the hospital for those, I almost crashed into the back of a semi on the highway because I dozed off at the wheel, I would've been dilapitated probably, something woke me up as soon as I was about to hit it, lucky right?

Twice I've had a knife held to my throat, and one time a guy pretty much tried to take me in his truck and god only knows what he was going to do to me had I not been able to get out.

But the older you get, the more that you clamour for what I like to call "rest". The idea of rest becomes so tantalizingly beautiful and you would feel so good just getting some rest that you just don't care anymore. I would say just give it some time and these fears and anxieties, concerns will fade away, you'll have a much larger scope on things and you pretty much just won't be bothered by it anymore I would say. You might even want it.
|

User Profile
replied November 12th, 2011
I actually started thinking about death when I was six. I really freaked my grandparents out with my outburst of crying and screaming that I didn't want to die. But after a couple of weeks it went away and it didn't bother me for years. I'm 17 years old now and last year my father, uncle, close friend and recently, my best friend's grandmother had passed away. Now all my necrophobic fears are back and I can't stop thinking about it. But I know why I do it. I don't like to think that I won't exist and everything I do in life will eventually mean nothing, because after enough time goes by, people would not have even known you existed in the first place. And knowing the inevitable end. It just scares me. I can't sleep at night, I'm constantly afraid. I already have an anxiety disorder, which I'm sure is NOT helping.... But it's been approximately 19 months since it had come back and I'm to the point where I'm posting it..... But I don't know what to do. I don't picture the act of dying, just the outcome...I wish I was naive like I was when I was little and couldn't see past the end of my nose.
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Im 23 and have been having the same feeling and then my girfriend whom i intended to marry left me. Now the feeling is getting worse. Any help?
|

replied January 24th, 2012
Stop thinking and Try to do your best while you are alive.
always think positive and pray for human being.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mental Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.