Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Thigh and knee pain after hip replacement

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
User Profile
I had hip replacement surgery in Oct. 2008. (59 yrs. old) I seemed to recover very fast as I was in good condition before surgery but after about 4 mos post surgery I started having pain in my mid thigh and around my knee. My Dr. said it was bursitis and gave me a cortizone shot but it didn't help. I exercise regularly to strenghten my core and stretch my IT band as well as cardio. The pain has gotten less in the last few months but now it is more of a burning pain in my thigh, like nerve pain. I want to know if nerve pain is common following hip surgery and just needs time to heal or if If I should be concerned. I don't want to over do it and the pain doesn't stop me from being active and riding horses, but it's quite bothersome and keeps me awake sometimes.
Any advise would be welcomed or comments from other people who have experienced the same thing.
Thanks, Fran
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I believe one surgery can weaken the limb that connects to it...My husband has had this same problem...He is a knee replacement (both knees) survivor and has found that the plastic inside the knee has worn down from the added pressure of the new hip...This we found out from his Orthopedist after they took Xrays...He may have to go back in and get new plastic put in the one knee as the fragments are bothering him...This was from wear....This will just be a one day surgery, however he will have to stay overnight...As for your question, I would definitely say yes...But, these are just my thoughts...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 5th, 2012
SevereThigh Pain 11wks on after Hip Replacement
I had a THR on Sept. 6, 2011. I healed quite quickly (Im 37) I was excited that horrid pain I lived with was gone! I could walk a couple miles, PTwas great, play on the floor w/ my daughter - havent been able to do all that in a few years! After 11 weeks I started having sharp pains in my thigh sometimes it would go down my knee! My doctor dosen't have a clue! First visit he said "I must have fallen or moved the wrong way & have a tiny facture that isnt visible on a xray/mri." Four Weeks later (last week): " I must have really tweeked it somehow, body may have to get use to it blah... blah... Hopefully it will cease over time, some people will have thigh pain for up to 2 years after the surgery" Any ideas?? I didn't have this pain for the first 11 months! It just dosent make any sense! Please help me is you have any insight.. ???
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Justine,

Has the pain gotten to a point that it is keeping you from doing the two mile walks you were doing or from other things that you had been doing? If it is, and you want to do through the big workups, then you may have to see another surgeon.

However, there is one disorder, that occurs mostly in the press fit prostesis, that causes midthigh pain. This is usually anterior pain, in the front. This is micromotion of the femoral stem. The stem moves every so slightly, and the tip concentrates the movement into pressure against the inside canal of the bone.

In some cases, as time goes on, the bone will react and there may be a slight increase in bone right at the tip of the prosethesis. But, not in all cases.

But, again, if the pain is significantly bothering you, have it worked up. Now, as you know, a total joint will never give you a "normal" joint. It can never be better than a Grade II joint (normal is grade I). So, if the problems of more than you would expect to have with mild/moderate arthritis, then go see if something is wrong.

There are so many things that could be causing the problems; indolent infection, micromotion, tendonitis, bursitis, malposition of the components, it could be coming from a spinal problem, referred pain from a knee problem, etc

It may also take the "million dollar workup" to finally come up with the solution. Beside the x-rays, MRI you have already had, you may need bone scan, MRI arthrogram with Gadolinium, MRI of spine, CT scans, PET scan, blood work, etc, etc,

So, sorry you are having problems with your THR. But it is really up to you. If it is bothering you significantly, and you do not want to put up with it, then you will have to be proactive.

Good luck.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi Justine37...I live in a family of limb replacements...My husband has had three in just counting his knees and hip and our son two hips...My honest observation would be that nobody gets back to where they used to be...I am not saying to prior to the surgery as there the pain was terrible...But, a replacement is trying to install a new part to make an old part work...IMO, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't....IMO, of the doctors who perform this surgery, would be that many don't have a clue of the pain that a patient suffers....They have been taught an art of replacing limbs and have done it correctly....However, they have not walked the same walk in life that we have...We deal with a body that doesn't want to accept this new part...So we must learn to live a new way of life....

Will it cease over time?....Who knows...Some people will have wonderful results then again someone else won't....Will you be able to do all the things that you did when you were young as many say?....Here I would have to say that this is a statement that should be rethought....From what I have seen out of life and where I have been, I would say no....But, they do try....I wish you well....Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
Leg and thigh pain after a Hip Replacement.
I finally got ove my "bursitis" pain , as I was told it was. I tend to forget I had a hip relacement most of the time. But when I don't exercise enough and keep limber, the bursitis pain comes back slightly. I believe in the old saying...."if you don't use it, you loose it". So, we need to just work through a lot of things and give them time to heal.
|

replied February 20th, 2014
Total HIp Replacement-Please Help
I had a THR five weeks ago, I cannot sleep unless I am drugged up on pain killers and muscle relaxers. I am also a patient with Multiple Sclerosis. This pain is ridiculous and I am sad, mad and moody. I thought it was suppose to get better. Originally the injury was caused by human childhood trauma, basically mom through me out a window at a year old damage was done treatment was not. I use to walk 5 miles a day, weighed in at 170 and then it happened. Total pain started getting unbearable, torn labrium, two surgeriens where they went in and did it by scope removing bad parts, removal of blood clot from same side groin area and then this hip replacement. I know my surgeon is great, he is highly noted etc etc. My problem is that there is so much pain in front of thigh and down where clot originally began in lower calf. I sleep one to three hours a night. Yes I am off walker and use can barely but its because I am stubborn, I am losing weight and doing exercises but I spend most of time crying, does anybody have any idea what has happened at least before surgery I slept and I could keep going if I was in pain. Now I cry all the time, I stopped taking the IR meds and the doses of oxy, on bacolflen and Norco but don't want those to be permanent and even with I have trouble sleeping. Please help
|