Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Thick discharge with vinegar smell

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
I have a few questions about a recent problem.
I've been having this discharge lately that is whiteish yellow and very thick, which leads me to believe that I have a yeast infection. But everyone here says that yeast infections don't smell, and my discharge smells of vinegar. It's not very strong, for example, I can't smell it outside my clothes, but my underwear smells of it. My vagina is also very itchy and dry. I did have sex recently, I was a little dry during it, and it became painful so I asked him to stop. I'm worried it could be chlamydia causing an infection or something similar. However, I've had sex with this same partner before, and I was fine afterwards.

I am taking birth control, I recently began a new diet, and I have hpv. I had cryotherapy 2 years ago to remove cancerous cells. Maybe these could be factors?
I'm thinking of seeing my Gyno soon, but the problem is I'm in college and my hometown is an entire three states away.
Is it simply a smelly yeast infection or something more serious?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2009
i have same symptoms though im not on any birth control pills. i stayed at my bf's and we had sex everyday for about 5 days n it happened once we stopped and i went home. im to scared to tell him though. i have the very thick odd coloured discharge, and it smells very strong on my underwear but not through my clothes either and im very itchy aswell. so im kinda worried. let me know if you've found out anything yet.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2010
i have the same thing too.
|

replied August 21st, 2010
Your Post
No one has a reported resolution to the issue? What was it?
|

replied August 25th, 2010
Hi Girls,
I have had this same problem in the past. I went to my doctor and it was a yeast infection, so he gave me some thrush cream and it went away within days. Yes, my discharge changed and had a strong smell, and I was super itchy. Its not an STD so there is nothing to be embarrassed about, the problem is that if you are having unprotected sex, you have more than likely given it to your partner (he probably wont have any symptoms) and you may use the cream and get rid of it, but everytime you have sex he will give it straight back to you. When you use the cream,make sure you treat him as well, its not worth the uncomfortableness, or itchiness. I get it every year or so, and always treat my husband at the same time, its nothing major so he shouldnt have a problem in treating it - its gone in a matter of days!
Michelle Smile
P.S hope this helps!
|

replied November 25th, 2011
hello, i got the sae problem. i was infected again and again. i also gave my partner the same medicine which the doctor has gave me. but just after the medication i feel it again, i had a discharge again. i want my partner to go to the doctor and check himself but he is very timid to do that. please help me, how can i convince him to do so. i love him and i can't go away from him when i tried to thinking that i will might be infected again if i will have contact with him again... i am so worried about this. very uncomfortable.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
is there somthing wrong?
Im 13 years old and I have my period but before my period I always get a thick white discharge it smells like vineger chips...im too scared to tell anyone could it be a sign of any infections or? please help...
|

replied September 30th, 2014
Hi there,

I'm 26 years old now. I started my period when I was 14. I remember the year or so before I started, I would always get a lot of vaginal discharge to the point where it would soak through my underwear and my pants!
Years later, I realized that it was probably my body getting ready for my period. My hormones were probably working overtime.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
hey all, i ave this same problem except a little different. i had sex with my boyfriend 2 days ago, once with a condom (which hurt!!!) and once without but he didn't finish in me, had a little bit of blood mixed in with the discharge yesterday and today it is light brownish yellow smells like vinegar. but for me, it isn't itchy or uncomfortable, it's just very weird. i recently started a new birth control pill after being off my old pills for 2 weeks or so.
so i don't really know whats going on, because none of this has happened before and i'm a little weirded out...
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 16th, 2012
I have the same problem, but I work in a lab and ran my urine, did a culture, and did a wet prep. So far the only thing I have seen in my urine and wet prep is large white blood cells, slight bacteria, large skin cells, no yeast, no trich, and no BV. My urine culture is kinda growning something the the staphylococcus family (not staph arerus). Tomorrow I will gram stain the urine and get a 100% different answer on what family and genus this bacteria is from.
|

replied November 8th, 2012
hey guys, im 14, and ive had my period for almost 2 years, in between my period i get discharge which i know is completely normal, but sometimes after a hot day, my discharge will smell a little, and everyday i wear a liner to feel fresh. it does smell a little, like it not very strong unless i smell the liner itself. do you think its just because of sweating or is it something else? i also eat a alot of salt and vinegar chips, tomatos and citrusy food, could that be a reason why it smells sometimes ? thanks xo
|

replied March 12th, 2013
Majority of these complaints sound like staph infection. Rarely goes away with flagyl. Definately doesn't go away with metrogel. And after you use that u get a yeast infection to boot. Having fun yet? We had to use bactrim antibiotic. Starts with odor, sometimes itching, and some or no discharge. Let it go and you have frequent urination and severe pelvic pain. Men get it yes, no symptoms cept maybe stinky urine, if anything at all and give it right back to you. Drs fail to mention this and it keeps you coming back every time. Cash flow for them. Best to have vaginal culture done with resistance testing. Staph areus is a nightmare. Again had to take bactrim. Didn't treat husband and learned the hard way. Round 4 now. New dr not listening well enough sends me with a metrogel script. At least he suggested husband treat too, however the flagyl won't work.
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
hi I have been thick white discharge and sometimes get abdominal slight stabbing pains it smells really salt n vinegary. I have no itching n no burning slightly hurts when I wee although I am a little bit flued up at the moment I been getting various problems each month and flogged off by the doctor. Can funny discharge and smelling slightly fishy when ovulating be a cause of sperm being stuck in the tube and being clogged up? I am only thinking this since 2010 I had a really bad miss carriage and ended up in operation room. and since this year I just feel something is really wrong with my bodyI have no STI OR STD I hav been checked and I am HIV negative. it can be really embarrassing when ovulating and having sex with my partner, now this has stopped I am getting thick white salt n vinegar smell. I have taken vaginal bacterial tablets repeatedly once a month when ovulating when the bad odor would acure and my discharge would not be normal. someone help me my doctors isn't good isee a different doctor everytime I am in there and she really wasn't helpful last time she told me to change my underwear material to cotton but all my knickers have cotton were my vagina sit anyway? and I know its not that I have never had this problem before and I have changed anything .
|

replied August 29th, 2013
Shelliebellie, I had a culture done, which showed "heavy yeast" growth and "moderate" staph aureus growth. My doc wanted to give me clindamycin capsules, however I refuse to take that poison after reading about potential horrific side effects. After I was treated for yeast(with diflucan) I feel fine. I asked my doc if it was OK to delay treatment for the staph and she said yes, however if I become symptomatic to go back in for another culture and different medication. We women have it so great, don't we??
|