Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

thick coating in throat

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I am 3 monthas pregnant with my 5th. Yes, I am an ambitious lady. I get this horrid thick coating at the back of my throat like milk film but way worse and it doesn't go away. I have severe kidney stone problems that go into hyper drive while I'm pregnant and the only thing they can do is give me percocet for the pain and let the stone pass. I always thought the mucus was a withdrawl effect because it seems to go away after I take another pill and goes away a week after I've been off the pills. This also happens when I'm on the pills but NOT pregnant.
This time however I have not been taking any pills as I haven't been having many problems and I am still getting this horrid annoying constant throat goo. nothing I do seems to make it go away though sugary foods seem to make it worse. Any help out there?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 25th, 2008
I've had this alot too.
It did happen more noticably while I pregnant with both my kids. It's the same feeling I've always gotten if I eat chocolate and have nothing to wash it down with. One time it felt like I was actually choking on it while I was halfway in sleep. Sometimes I can't finish a sentence in mid-conversation without getting choked up. Sometimes it just happens and I can't drink enough or cough enough to get it to go away. I think cola helps a little if nothing else. I would say that it's more likely to do with the pregnancy than the meds if either one is even related. I think mine may be caused by an allergy induced sinus drip. If you have good insurance insurance you should see an ENT doctor. I have no reason not to go besides procrastinating
|

User Profile
replied July 25th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Lol Its your sinuses. They go into overdrive when you are preggers.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
I think the sinus drip was also the cause of 9 months of morning sickness. I got sick alot and it was mostly thick clear mucus coming up from my belly after swallowing it all night.
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
or it could be LPR... laryngopharyngeal reflux.. very annoying. don;t eat acid foods like spices, tomatos, citrus..they make it worse..
|