Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

the thought and smell of food makes me want to vomit

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
In the past few months ive completly lost my appetite. im 25 years old, 5'3 and have gone from 130lbs to 102lbs. My husband is no longer attracted to me because he says i look "sickly"..its gotten to the point where i forced myself to eat to now i havent ate in two days. i dont understand ive never had this problem before and im embarrassed to really discuss this with a dr or family because i dont have a problem thinking im fat. and the only bad self image of myself is that im upset that ive gotten too thin. i dont like the way i look now and you would think that would make me eat more. but the thought and smell of food makes me want to vomit. if anybody out there has tips or has been thro maybe something of the same, please id love to chat?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2012
I'm am going through the same exact thing! I'm also 25 and 5'3 ...134lbs. and I f'king LOVE food. but I just got back from a month-long trip to Thailand and ever since I've been back in the states I've been sick. My skin is freaking out and the mere thought of food makes me want to throw up, I try to keep some things down at least like a bit of egg or cucumber with oregano...I don't know what to do.
|

replied June 20th, 2012
Me to! I'm 19, and I only weigh 97lbs and I'm 5'4! I dont understand why but even just the smell of butter in a pan (which I used to LOOOVE) makes me want to puke. I've always been pretty thin and have never weighed more than 140lbs but this is crazy! I love food, I love steaks bloody and tender and tonight I nearly gagged trying to force it down my throat after a few bites. Things like tuna, salads, plain white rice, plain spaghetti is okay, but red meats, potatoes, riceroni, chili, ect ect ect is making me sick. Ive lost over 15lbs in the last month alone, lost my period, and its been over 85 degrees everyday these last 2 weeks so coupled with fatigue from not eating properly the heat makes me dizzy and sicker! Im freaking my fiance the heck out though, hes really worried and kinda pissed because even though Im really trying to eat I've still lost so much weight!
Im so sorry I dont have the answer to your questions ): I wish I did!

As for you Jen Smile I think you are having kind of like a food culture shock, in different countries the food is crazily different than in places like America, I went to Honduras on a mission trip for 9 days, I was vomiting the food nearly everyday untill they just started giving me oatmeal or toast for breakfast and plain simple meals all the other times. I think the longer you live in a country with different food styles you become accustomed to it and when going home you have to re-introduce those heavy starchy terrible for you foods to your tummy that America is known for Wink Just give it some time, but hey, not being able to eat fatty foods or just "regular" foods from america probably isnt a bad thing Smile *glaces at her plate* Yea maybe I should cut back on the greasy fatty foods too..
|

replied August 13th, 2012
Same Problem!
I am 40 and having this same problem I am not thin like others but I have had this problem recently. Every time I want to eat I want to throw up the smell, taste of food makes me sick. Only certain foods I can stomach. Sugar seems to be ok and help actually.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
I am 25, 5'5" and 130lbs but dropping weight quickly with this exact same problem! The only thing that doesn't make me absolutely want to vomit immediately are cheeseburgers (homemade only) but even still I can't survive off of that. I'm normally not a picky eater, I will eat anything you put in front of me. Now though the smell, thought, and taste of food is absolutely disgusting me.
What little bit of food I can manage after more than 30 minutes of crying, gagging and struggling I spend over an hour in miserable pain.

I'm too afraid to go to a doctor because they might think it's a mental thing and want to run tons of expensive tests. I have only told 2 people about this problem and they are starting to worry about me and it's freaking me out.
|

replied July 28th, 2013
Try eating whole foods. I've been having the same problem, and eating only whole foods have made me feel so much better. I try to eat gmo free food also, and I watch what types of fruits and veggies I buy organic or not due to pesticides.
|