Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

The term "Happy Holidays" is offensive to Christians.

User Profile
Ok, let me say this before I explode. I know it’s going to anger some people but I’ve held it in long enough:
Christians, (and yes, I do count myself as one) EVERYTHING IS NOT ABOUT YOU. Rather than viewing the term “Happy holidays” as an attack against Christianity/ an attempt to take the Christ out of Christmas/ a liberal agenda by the secular media, why not look at it this way? It is an all inclusive term that greets and wishes well everyone whether they are Christians or Jewish or Muslims or atheists or agnostics. A salesperson does not have the ability to know what religion- if any- the customer practices. But they want to impart some kind of welcome and good wishes of the season. The term “Happy Holidays” manages to do that. Unless you have a better phrase that does the job or are comfortable with a stranger asking you about your religious affiliation before greeting you, stop being so sensitive and save your ire for a real issue.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile deteragram
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Not sure where you are, but as for the USA, I must argue an opposing position. From my experience in this debate, Christians, including myself, are not offended by the term "Happy Holidays." The offense is birthed in the deliberate oppression of the term "Christmas" by retailers nationally. Billions of dollars are spent in these stores in the name of "Christmas" annually. If it were not for "Christmas," these stores would dissolve. Greater than 80% of Americans are Christians, and of those, greater than 90% shop for Christmas presents. Any attempt to deny "Christmas" by a retailer...is financial suicide, not to mention ignorant. If I was a retailer in Rome and refused the word Mary in my business, I would not survive--nor should I be offended that I meet resistance. Also, you are wrong, it is about Christians.
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2012
Supporter
I was born and raised in the United States- in the Bible Belt (North Carolina) as a matter of fact. And what I hear from fellow Christians is that everyone is trying to take the Christ out of Christmas BY using the phrase "Happy Holidays."
You might think it is financial suicide but despite Christians protests, they have not stopped buying gifts from the same stores that use the term "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas."
And no religious group has exclusive rights to a certain time of year, no matter how many of them there are. Also, "Christmas" is not about Christians, it is about CHRIST. The holidays are for anyone who practices any religious rites, rituals, ceremonies or observances in/ around December- not just Christians.
Lastly, how do propose a person go about wishing people a Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday appropriately? If you are fine with "Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas" you are in the minority- at least according to the Christians I know personally and those who speak publicly on the matter. They want no part of Happy Holidays at all and demand exclusive acknowledgement of Christianity at that time of year.
|